Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bandsaw Revisited

I'm about to throw out an "old" but unused bandsaw that I picked up
two years ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

Unfortunately it turned out to be little more than garbage(with cast
aluminum parts) that I couldn't find replacement parts for.

But I thought I'd first ask if it was plausible to start from scratch
and get upper and lower guide assemblies, blocks, holders ect. I'm
just not sure if a full set of parts would be compatible with this saw
beyond having to drill and tap new holes. Are the diameters and
distances between the pulleys different from one 14" bandsaw to
another?

And since the pulleys are I believe cast aluminum, is it even worth it
anyway?

Lastly, I missed out on a Walker Turner bandsaw on Craigslist because
I didn't get back to the seller in time after doing my research, so I
thought I'd ask for recommendations for a good used 14" one to keep my
eyes open for.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:26:13 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

[...]

Too bad you arent closer..Ive got both a spare DoAll 18" and a Walker
Turner 18" for sale.

The DoAll is pretty cheap G

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

if that saw is what I think it is, I have that same saw, and have had it
since sometime in the early 80s - I put new roller bearing guides on it no
problem, changed tires no problem, added a 1/4 inch riser block so it would
take standard sized blades, and made a new upper wheel support out of
aluminum when the pot metal one fatigued, and I made new trunions for the
table out of steel pipe with some welding and mill work when the pot metal
ones failed - I don't see what your problem is.

"Searcher7" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 20, 6:26*pm, Searcher7 wrote:
[...]

There are guys that have built their own bandsaws, for woodworking,
using all home-made parts. One of my early mechanics magazines has
plans, was from the '30s or '40s. Looked like a lot of work, depended
on having a local jobbing foundry handy, would be cheaper to get a
chink clone and work that over than to start from scratch. At least
you're starting with a semblance of a bandsaw. If you want it for
metal cutting, get a used Do All.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 21, 2:38*pm, wrote:
[...]

I actually need one for both metal and wood.

Nevertheless I was hoping to find someone who had a bandsaw with the
same mounting dimensions so I can figure out what I need before
ordering a bunch of parts that might not be compatible. Or should I
only worry about the mounting holes?

(I do have a Black & Decker 7-1/2" Bandsaw(9422) that I need a table
insert for).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I actually need one for both metal and wood.

Nevertheless I was hoping to find someone who had a bandsaw with the
same mounting dimensions so I can figure out what I need before
ordering a bunch of parts that might not be compatible. Or should I
only worry about the mounting holes?

(I do have a Black & Decker 7-1/2" Bandsaw(9422) that I need a table
insert for).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

why is it you can't make the parts you need? I posted a few days ago about
making trunions and the upper wheel support for what looks a lot like that
saw - if I can do it why can't you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 12:30*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:
I actually need one for both metal and wood.

Nevertheless I was hoping to find someone who had a bandsaw with the
same mounting dimensions so I can figure out what I need before
ordering a bunch of parts that might not be compatible. Or should I
only worry about the mounting holes?

(I do have a Black & Decker 7-1/2" Bandsaw(9422) that I need a table
insert for).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

why is it you can't make the parts you need? I posted a few days ago about
making trunions and the *upper wheel support for what looks a lot like that
saw - if I can do it why can't you?

Because I don't yet have my mill/drill working, and I'd need the exact
dimensions of all the parts need anyway. I've not found any sites that
show how this is done.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
[...]

you do need scissors and cardboard, and a pencil - you make the patterns,
then trace them onto metal, then cut with a hack saw - you don't need any
power tools at all. I did use an arc welder, and since I had power tools, I
used some, but everything you want can be made with a hacksaw, a few files
and your drill press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 21, 2:38*pm, wrote:
There are guys that have built their own bandsaws, for woodworking,
using all home-made parts. *....
Stan

Me, twice.

The first one borrowed the frame and wheels from a 10" Delta and I
made the guides and transmission. Guides aren't difficult, I put a
skate bearing behind the blade and two round cool blocks on the sides.
This is the second, with wheels from a wrecked motorcycle:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...53006429714322

The straight-line ladder frame was much easier to make and align than
a C shaped one. It still has a throat 13" deep and almost 24" wide.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 16, 1:17*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

why is it you can't make the parts you need? I posted a few days ago
about
making trunions and the *upper wheel support for what looks a lot like
that
saw - if I can do it why can't you?

Because I don't yet have my mill/drill working, and I'd need the exact
dimensions of all the parts need anyway. I've not found any sites that
show how this is done.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

you do need scissors and cardboard, and a pencil - you make the patterns,
then trace them onto metal, then cut with a hack saw - you don't need any
power tools at all. *I did use an arc welder, and since I had power tools, I
used some, but everything you want can be made with a hacksaw, a few files
and your drill press.

Second that.

The only critical tool is enough imagination to visualize how the
parts should fit together. I rarely need the lathe or mill to build a
machine's framework, a 4x6 bandsaw and a stick welder are enough. The
necessary drawings and dimensions fit on a 3x5 Post-it.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

Well, as I said, I'd need to see how all this is done, and I've found
no sites with visual aids.

I'm about to dive in and pick up some trunnions from a seller on eBay.
And he is also offering guides that have *three* bearings for $70.00.
He said they should fit the my bandsaw but I thought three bearing
guides were only for metal cutting bandsaws. Is this correct?

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ools/?start=20

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

Also, I was hoping for suggestions on where to get 3/4hp motors from.
Any idea what other appliances use similar motors?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

Staten Island, New York.- Hide quoted text -

Most current appliances use built-for-the-purpose motors. Used to be
you could get some decent motors from washing machines with standard
mounts, but now they've all gone to oddball welded frames, the only
thing they fit is the original appliance. Might be you could visit an
old-time appliance place and see what they've got in the scrap pile.
You might consider new, with woodworking, a TEFC motor should be the
way to go.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 24, 3:26*pm, Searcher7 wrote:
Well, as I said, I'd need to see how all this is done, and I've found
no sites with visual aids.

Darren Harris

Here is a photo of a home-made bandsaw blade guide:
http://www.forestryforum.com/images/...ew%20guide.JPG
The thread:
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c=5979.0%3Ball

The ones I made are functionally similar but machined rather than
welded. I put a solid guide on the other side, clamped with a screw,
which can slide back if a large chip jams under the roller.

Like Chet and Ronwood I push the blade 1/8" outward with the roller
side of the guide, and it barely clears the back when it isn't
cutting. That setting advice came from either a saw or a blade
manufacturer's technician, I forget which one's.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

I guess motor mounts can be custom made.

I'll have to look around.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 24, 5:34*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 24, 3:26*pm, Searcher7 wrote:

Well, as I said, I'd need to see how all this is done, and I've found
no sites with visual aids.

Darren Harris

Here is a photo of a home-made bandsaw blade guide:http://www.forestryforum.com/images/...ew%20guide.JPG
The thread:http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c=5979.0%3Ball

The ones I made are functionally similar but machined rather than
welded. I put a solid guide on the other side, clamped with a screw,
which can slide back if a large chip jams under the roller.

Like Chet and Ronwood I push the blade 1/8" outward with the roller
side of the guide, and it barely clears the back when it isn't
cutting. That setting advice came from either a saw or a blade
manufacturer's technician, I forget which one's.

jsw

I'm assuming the only parts I really *need* to buy are the bearings
for the guides and a motor.(I assume it makes no real difference if I
use one of three bearings for the upper and the lower).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Isalnd, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 25, 8:46*am, Searcher7 wrote:
On May 24, 5:34*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I'm assuming the only parts I really *need* to buy are the bearings
for the guides and a motor.(I assume it makes no real difference if I
use one of three bearings for the upper and the lower).

Thanks.

Darren Harris

I based my blade guides on this:
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/guide_systems_NW.asp

with a thicker plate underneath to hold the Cool Blocks:
http://www.allbandsawblades.com/cool_blocks.htm
I bought the "poor performing imitations" for about 1/3 the price and
they have been fine.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-25, Searcher7 wrote:
On May 24, 5:34*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 24, 3:26*pm, Searcher7 wrote:

Well, as I said, I'd need to see how all this is done, and I've found
no sites with visual aids.

Darren Harris

Here is a photo of a home-made bandsaw blade guide:http://www.forestryforum.com/images/...ew%20guide.JPG
The thread:http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c=5979.0%3Ball

[ ... ]

I'm assuming the only parts I really *need* to buy are the bearings
for the guides and a motor.(I assume it makes no real difference if I
use one of three bearings for the upper and the lower).

Actually -- just grab a couple of inline skates from a kid and
you have the bearings you need -- with a couple of spares. :-) No "buy"
needed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-25, wrote:
On May 24, 5:34 pm, Jim wrote:
On May 24, 3:26 pm, wrote:

Well, as I said, I'd need to see how all this is done, and I've found
no sites with visual aids.
Darren Harris

Here is a photo of a home-made bandsaw blade guide:http://www.forestryforum.com/images/...ew%20guide.JPG
The thread:http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c=5979.0%3Ball

[ ... ]

I'm assuming the only parts I really *need* to buy are the bearings
for the guides and a motor.(I assume it makes no real difference if I
use one of three bearings for the upper and the lower).

Actually -- just grab a couple of inline skates from a kid and
you have the bearings you need -- with a couple of spares. :-) No "buy"
needed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I just bought a Shopsmith Banbsaw for $140. Brand new. Also bought the
Shopsmith for $295. So look on craigslist. I use www.searchtempest.com
as it will search all CL within the amount of miles you specifiy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 26, 5:49*pm, Califbill wrote:
I just bought a Shopsmith Banbsaw for $140. *Brand new. *Also bought the
Shopsmith for $295. *So look on craigslist. *I usewww.searchtempest.com
as it will search all CL within the amount of miles you specifiy.

I learned woodworking on one and really liked it. It's the older cast
iron model, a little less convenient but functionally very similar to
my grandfather's aluminum Mark 5. The only real weakness was side play
in the table when ripping, solved by a brace clamped to the extension
table.

I set the quill stop to allow a little sideways adjustment when
sawing, not enough to hit the table insert. It was a nice fine
adjustment to get a light press fit on tenons and finger joints for
cabinet doors.

The need to do all the sawing and then switch to drilling taught me to
plan work better. In drill press position the rip fence, miter guide
and table adjustment screw helped a lot to locate mortice and dowel
holes. It's horizontal drilling setup was great for the dowels in the
ends of door rails. If you drill clean through the practice stile you
can use it to position the table and miter gauge for the holes in the
rail.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-25, Searcher7 wrote:

On May 24, 5:34*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 24, 3:26*pm, Searcher7 wrote:

Well, as I said, I'd need to see how all this is done, and I've found
no sites with visual aids.
Darren Harris

Here is a photo of a home-made bandsaw blade guide:http://www.forestryforum.com/images/...ew%20guide.JPG
The thread:http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...c=5979.0%3Ball

* * * * [ ... ]

I'm assuming the only parts I really *need* to buy are the bearings
for the guides and a motor.(I assume it makes no real difference if I
use one of three bearings for the upper and the lower).

* * * * Actually -- just grab a couple of inline skates from a kid and
you have the bearings you need -- with a couple of spares. :-) No "buy"
needed.

* * * * Enjoy,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Thanks.

I've been looking for good pics to study before I design the guide
holders.

BTW. It is difficult finding single phase motors on eBay.

The only "cheap" (3/4hp) motors I've come across are called Leeson's.

Does anyone have thoughts on picking up one of these motors for a
bandsaw?

And are Bi-metal saw blades still recommended if I'm only cutting 2x4s
and 3/4" plywood?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 29, 4:24*am, Searcher7 wrote:

BTW. It is difficult finding single phase motors on eBay.

The only "cheap" (3/4hp) motors I've come across are called Leeson's.

Does anyone have thoughts on picking up one of these motors for a
bandsaw?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Industrial stuff on Ebay is usually a bargain. I think the reason is
that companies usually buy new equipment, so used industrial equipment
is not in demand.

So my advice would be to start haunting Ebay for variable speed
devices and buy a three phase motor locally ( maybe off Ebay, but
close enough to you to be able to pick it up. ). I think you can get
a 3/4 hp three phase motor and a VFD big enough to run the motor for
about the same price as a 3/4 hp single phase motor.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 04:27:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 29, 4:24*am, Searcher7 wrote:

BTW. It is difficult finding single phase motors on eBay.

The only "cheap" (3/4hp) motors I've come across are called Leeson's.

Does anyone have thoughts on picking up one of these motors for a
bandsaw?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Industrial stuff on Ebay is usually a bargain. I think the reason is
that companies usually buy new equipment, so used industrial equipment
is not in demand.

And in Michigan and California..its because the companies that owned
it...died. Lots of CHEAP machinery around these days.

So my advice would be to start haunting Ebay for variable speed
devices and buy a three phase motor locally ( maybe off Ebay, but
close enough to you to be able to pick it up. ). I think you can get
a 3/4 hp three phase motor and a VFD big enough to run the motor for
about the same price as a 3/4 hp single phase motor.

Dan

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 29, 7:27*am, " wrote:
[...]

I can't run a 3 phase motor.

I figure I'd look for a similar motor to that of my drill press.
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...rillPress2.jpg

But I may opt for something of lower power that that.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Well Well revisited ARWadsworth UK diy 1 May 2nd 09 07:25 PM
Well Well revisited ARWadsworth UK diy 0 May 2nd 09 12:02 AM
dehumidifiers revisited Nate Nagel Home Repair 22 April 19th 09 01:17 AM
TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 31st 06 12:17 AM
VFD and RPC Revisited [email protected] Metalworking 4 March 24th 05 05:17 PM