Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cox Communications drops Usenet

Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

Best Regards

Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:24:15 -0700, the infamous "azotic"
scrawled the following:

Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

If they were truly valued customers, Cocks wouldn't be screwing them
out of Usenet service, would they, Tom? sigh

--
"I think you very well may see a revolution in this country and
it will not be a revolution to overthrow the government," he said.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

Well, Charter did that a number of years ago. They paid an outside
service to provide it, and if it went down Friday night, it would not be
back up until Monday morning. Certain groups (like
rec.crafts.metalworking) would just disappear for a week at a time. So,
I finally gave up and bought a monthly subscription to giga-news. I get
the lowest tier at $6.95 a month. It galls me to have to pay twice for
the service, as Charter CLAIMS they provide the service, but it never
works. The only problem with Giga-News is they have all of R.C.M back
to June 2003, and it is over 500,000 messages, now. That kind of bogs
down my computer when I open the newsgroups.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can set up a NNTP server for rec.crafts.metalworking and
sci.engr.joining.welding only. Accessible by anyone for free.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:01:19 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

azotic wrote:
Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

Well, Charter did that a number of years ago. They paid an outside
service to provide it, and if it went down Friday night, it would not be
back up until Monday morning. Certain groups (like
rec.crafts.metalworking) would just disappear for a week at a time. So,
I finally gave up and bought a monthly subscription to giga-news. I get
the lowest tier at $6.95 a month. It galls me to have to pay twice for
the service, as Charter CLAIMS they provide the service, but it never
works. The only problem with Giga-News is they have all of R.C.M back
to June 2003, and it is over 500,000 messages, now. That kind of bogs
down my computer when I open the newsgroups.

Jon

Odd...I pay $4.95 a month for Giganews. Lowest rung, but I use only a
few newsgroups and a couple binary groups.

I had to drop my 12yr old internet account some time ago..$25 a month
for dialup was simply not in my budget..and Im sharing HIGH speed
internet with a neighbor across the street with wifi. So my cost for
internet access is $0, and Usenet is $4.95 per month.

Its nice to be able to view real time video. Never had it before.

Gunner

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

Well, Charter did that a number of years ago. They paid an outside
service to provide it, and if it went down Friday night, it would not be
back up until Monday morning. Certain groups (like
rec.crafts.metalworking) would just disappear for a week at a time. So,
I finally gave up and bought a monthly subscription to giga-news. I get
the lowest tier at $6.95 a month. It galls me to have to pay twice for
the service, as Charter CLAIMS they provide the service, but it never
works. The only problem with Giga-News is they have all of R.C.M back
to June 2003, and it is over 500,000 messages, now. That kind of bogs
down my computer when I open the newsgroups.

Jon

Blink blink,...your reader doesnt simply mark them "read" and only
downloads the new ones???

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

azotic wrote:
Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

Well, Charter did that a number of years ago. They paid an outside
service to provide it, and if it went down Friday night, it would not be
back up until Monday morning. Certain groups (like
rec.crafts.metalworking) would just disappear for a week at a time. So,
I finally gave up and bought a monthly subscription to giga-news. I get
the lowest tier at $6.95 a month. It galls me to have to pay twice for
the service, as Charter CLAIMS they provide the service, but it never
works. The only problem with Giga-News is they have all of R.C.M back
to June 2003, and it is over 500,000 messages, now. That kind of bogs
down my computer when I open the newsgroups.

Jon

I don't use Thunderbird, but if it is like the newsreader in the Netscape, Mozilla, Sea
Monkey chain, it really doesn't like newsgroups with a lot of content. That is if nothing
has changed since the last time I checked it out.

If you are on wintel, try a trial of Agent from www.forteinc.com I'm not saying they are
perfect but for fairly cheap, it works.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

azotic wrote:
[...]

I use the old Netscape 4.78 to read newsgroups. You can delete the
'SNM' file for a newsgroup when it becomes too large. The next time you
want to read that group it will create a new 'SNM' file. If you have it
set to only download unread headers, the new file will be quite small.

If you are on wintel, try a trial of Agent from www.forteinc.com I'm not saying they are
perfect but for fairly cheap, it works.

Wes

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If your neighbor knows about the sharing, that may be a
violation of his terms of service.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Im sharing HIGH speed
internet with a neighbor across the street with wifi. So my
cost for
internet access is $0, and Usenet is $4.95 per month.

Its nice to be able to view real time video. Never had it
before.

Gunner

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
[...]

Testing Freenews.netfront.net cost is $0, they let you read and post.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"azotic" wrote:

Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

Best Regards

Tom.

Check out DSL Extreme... They include full usenet access with (I think
all of) their accounts. Been with them about 3 years now and they've
rocked the whole time.

However... note that I only use DSL Extreme as a 'dumb pipe' to the
internet, and don't use their e-mail or DNS server... and can't vouch
for the performance of either. (I IMAP Gmail, and flip flop between Open
DNS and Google DNS.)

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been using eternal-september.org, which is free, quite happily ever
since comcast dropped usenet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Wes wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

azotic wrote:
[...]

Got you beat, 4.75 here I've tried a bunch of other newsreaders, but
just haven't liked them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I've been using eternal-september.org, which is free, quite happily ever
since comcast dropped usenet.

Same here, but mine was Bellsouth.
Mostly good text only.

technomaNge
--
Due to anticipated high turnout in 2010's election,
the Electorial College has scheduled:

Nov. 1, 2010 All Independents vote.
Nov. 2, 2010 All Republicans vote.
Nov. 3, 2010 All Democrats vote.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Wes wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

azotic wrote:
[...]

I used 3. something, then 4.0, and kept updating till AOL bought &
killed off Netscape.

I agree, I've tried other news readers and didn't like any of them.
Even though my headers claim Win 95, I'm running a newer OS. This has
been moved from one computer to another for over 13 years. I do the
install, then replace everything in the Netscape folder with the files
from the old machine.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:29:35 -0700, Erik wrote:

In article ,
"azotic" wrote:

Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

Best Regards

Tom.

Check out DSL Extreme... They include full usenet access with (I think
all of) their accounts. Been with them about 3 years now and they've
rocked the whole time.

However... note that I only use DSL Extreme as a 'dumb pipe' to the
internet, and don't use their e-mail or DNS server... and can't vouch
for the performance of either. (I IMAP Gmail, and flip flop between Open
DNS and Google DNS.)

Erik

DSL extreme is only available in some..some large urban areas.

In fact..DSL isnt even availble in most of America

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote:

Dear Valued Customer:

Effective June 30, 2010, Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service
to our subscribers.

Best Regards

Tom.

Check out DSL Extreme... They include full usenet access with (I think
all of) their accounts. Been with them about 3 years now and they've
rocked the whole time.

I agree.

However... note that I only use DSL Extreme as a 'dumb pipe' to the
internet, and don't use their e-mail or DNS server... and can't vouch
for the performance of either. (I IMAP Gmail, and flip flop between Open
DNS and Google DNS.)

Well Google has been doing there mail for a good bit of time now so
no real difference there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:41:56 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

In fact..DSL isnt even availble in most of America

I didn't even have DSL until a couple years ago, when they finally
installed it. I recently complained to QWEST about their ads saying
that 7Mbps DSL was only $25/mo when I was paying $27 for 1.5Mbps. I
talked her into giving me the 1.5 for $20/mo when she checked and
found that 7Mbps wasn't yet offered in my neighborhood. sigh
Somehow, that knocked ten bucks a month off my bill, for which I'm
grateful. But I'm still ****ed that I can't get the faster speed.

--
"I think you very well may see a revolution in this country and
it will not be a revolution to overthrow the government," he said.
"It would be a revolution to restore government to its constitutional
basis." --Rob Weaver on VoA, 4/19/10
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

DSL extreme is only available in some..some large urban areas.

In fact..DSL isnt even availble in most of America

That's the reason that Hughsnet and other satellite-based services are
gaining acceptance and advertising heavily - especially via satellite TV
services. G

While - in my area - AT&T does offer DSL, the service is unavailable
outside of town due to distance limitations (distance from a central
office). This means that those outside city limits either use 56Kb
dialup, a cell phone service (5GB/mo. limit), or a satserv.

FWIW, most of the dweebs that design web pages today are blissfully
unaware that their multi-megabyte/page masterpieces can take an hour to
load over a scratchy dialup line...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:54:32 -0600, Steve Ackman
wrote:

Similar here with frontiernet. They offer two plans.
700 Kbps and 3 Mbps... but the copper is old, and if
you order the faster plan, you only actually get 1.3
Mbps.

I wonder how many people aren't even aware they're
not getting all the bandwidth they're paying for.

Frontier 6 Meg plan here, actual is about 5.6 when tested at their
site, closer to 5 when tested at other sites. I can't complain though,
it's transmitted wirelessly the last 12 miles. It only goes via copper
for about 10'!

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:54:32 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Wed, 21 Apr 2010
05:59:38 -0700, Larry Jaques, lid wrote:

I didn't even have DSL until a couple years ago, when they finally
installed it. I recently complained to QWEST about their ads saying
that 7Mbps DSL was only $25/mo when I was paying $27 for 1.5Mbps. I
talked her into giving me the 1.5 for $20/mo when she checked and
found that 7Mbps wasn't yet offered in my neighborhood. sigh
Somehow, that knocked ten bucks a month off my bill, for which I'm
grateful. But I'm still ****ed that I can't get the faster speed.

Similar here with frontiernet. They offer two plans.
700 Kbps and 3 Mbps... but the copper is old, and if
you order the faster plan, you only actually get 1.3
Mbps.

When I complained about paying for bandwidth I
wasn't getting, I was offered a downgrade to the 700
Kbps plan (which they would make retroactive to when we
signed up) or I could keep paying for the full 3 and
continue getting what I was getting.

Oops, how'd that woodsman get up the pole so far and cut so much cable
out last night? I wonder who it was...

No "custom" deals offered, even though I mentioned
that ideally, I'd like to keep getting the 1.3 Mbps
that was possible with the current lines. (I was
really spoiled by the 8Mbps cable we'd just come from.)

I can imagine.

Then I recalled back to the first cable connection I
had @ 384 Kbps in the '90s and how wonderful it was to
be upgraded to 512 Kbps. I guess 700 Kbps isn't all
that bad... yeah, I can live with that.

Just not as happily.

I wonder how many people aren't even aware they're
not getting all the bandwidth they're paying for.

Probably not more than 90% or so. It's so much faster than 56.6k, who
can tell? g

--
"I think you very well may see a revolution in this country and
it will not be a revolution to overthrow the government," he said.
"It would be a revolution to restore government to its constitutional
basis." --Rob Weaver on VoA, 4/19/10
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-22, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

Hmm ... I don't consider *any* browser to be a true newsreader.
Have either of you ever tried something written from scratch as a
newsreader?

It is part of the email client in the old Netscape. The browser
itself is now mostly useless but I've got over a decade of selected,
archived email and newsgroup messages.

What format does it archive the email and usenet messages in?

[ ... ]

I use XNews to recover multi part schematics and photos of old
radios, but prefer the way the older Netscape displays messages. The
biggest problem with changing the way I read usenet is the loss of the
archive, without converting thousands of messages to text files, or
printing them out.

Hmm ... all newsreaders and e-mail clients which I have used
save articles and e-mail in plain text files. If the browser does not,
that is another reason to not use it.

The mail and newsreader component of Netscape Communicator, Netscape
Messenger *is not* a browser, it is a separate component. Netscape
Navigator is the browser. Netscape Composer (HTML editor) is also a
component of the Netscape Communicator package. I've tried a number of
other newsreaders and none of them handle as well as Netscape Messenger
for browsing newsgroups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
The mail and newsreader component of Netscape Communicator, Netscape
Messenger *is not* a browser, it is a separate component. Netscape
Navigator is the browser. Netscape Composer (HTML editor) is also a
component of the Netscape Communicator package. I've tried a number of
other newsreaders and none of them handle as well as Netscape Messenger
for browsing newsgroups.

With the (evidently) demise of Netscape (which I used for many
years) someone put me on to SeaMonkey which is a development
of Netscape and behaves the same way for browsing but does
now work with some of the "movie things" that didn't on my
Netscape. So that is what I've been using for a year or so
now.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:28:20 -0600, the infamous Lewis Hartswick
scrawled the following:

Pete C. wrote:
The mail and newsreader component of Netscape Communicator, Netscape
Messenger *is not* a browser, it is a separate component. Netscape
Navigator is the browser. Netscape Composer (HTML editor) is also a
component of the Netscape Communicator package. I've tried a number of
other newsreaders and none of them handle as well as Netscape Messenger
for browsing newsgroups.

With the (evidently) demise of Netscape (which I used for many
years) someone put me on to SeaMonkey which is a development
of Netscape and behaves the same way for browsing but does
now work with some of the "movie things" that didn't on my
Netscape. So that is what I've been using for a year or so
now.

Netscape isn't really gone. It has just been transformed into the
vastly bloated new program Firefox. The trend sickens me. Firefox
takes up 100MB of memory just loading itself any more. Feh!
That said, it still beats MS Internet Exploder.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
[...]

"Chrome" seems to work well enough if you need something high speed and
of minimal size.

Gunner

Ive tried the Apple Safari...which I didnt much care for..but it did
work

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 05:51:33 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[ ... ]

Netscape isn't really gone. It has just been transformed into the
vastly bloated new program Firefox. The trend sickens me. Firefox
takes up 100MB of memory just loading itself any more. Feh!
That said, it still beats MS Internet Exploder.

"Chrome" seems to work well enough if you need something high speed and
of minimal size.

Gunner

Ive tried the Apple Safari...which I didnt much care for..but it did
work

I like Opera as a browser -- though I don't use *any* browser
for usenet news.

Chrome is not an option for Suns running Solaris, and I'm not
sure whether it is available for the Mac OS-X yet or not.

O.K. For OS-X -- but only 10.5 or later, and I'm stuck with
10.4 for running some other things which need 10.4 or older. The
machine is only a Mac Mini (little cube with no keybord or monitor, but
I've got both which switch between that machine and several Suns. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
[...]

Firefox crashes at least daily for me. Nothing else on the system has
problems, just Firefox. I'm not particularly thrilled with it obviously.
IE works just fine of course.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Netscape isn't really gone. It has just been transformed into the
vastly bloated new program Firefox. The trend sickens me. Firefox
takes up 100MB of memory just loading itself any more. Feh!
That said, it still beats MS Internet Exploder.

Netscape 4.80 is using 57,912 K right now, just to read newsgroups.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:19:05 -0500, the infamous "Pete C."
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Netscape isn't really gone. It has just been transformed into the
vastly bloated new program Firefox. The trend sickens me. Firefox
takes up 100MB of memory just loading itself any more. Feh!
That said, it still beats MS Internet Exploder.

Firefox crashes at least daily for me. Nothing else on the system has
problems, just Firefox. I'm not particularly thrilled with it obviously.
IE works just fine of course.

Interesting. You're the very first person I've heard that from.
You're on a Windows box, hopefully not Vista?

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Netscape isn't really gone. It has just been transformed into the
vastly bloated new program Firefox. The trend sickens me. Firefox
takes up 100MB of memory just loading itself any more. Feh!
That said, it still beats MS Internet Exploder.

Firefox crashes at least daily for me. Nothing else on the system has
problems, just Firefox. I'm not particularly thrilled with it obviously.
IE works just fine of course.

Interesting. You're the very first person I've heard that from.
You're on a Windows box, hopefully not Vista?

It's on a Win7 box. I've heard of a few other people having Firefox
issues, not sure what versions they are on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Netscape isn't really gone. It has just been transformed into the
vastly bloated new program Firefox. The trend sickens me. Firefox
takes up 100MB of memory just loading itself any more. Feh!
That said, it still beats MS Internet Exploder.

Netscape 4.80 is using 57,912 K right now, just to read newsgroups.

Was 11,104 K here until I went to reply to this message and then it went
to 11,248 K. This is on a Win2K box.