Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Good news (from "who will be the first")

Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

It wasn't as invasive as split-sternum surgery because it's done
entirely via catheters threaded thru major veins from groin and
elsewhere, guided by ultrasound, xray, computers and a bunch of
technology. It's fairly new and not widely practiced, but already has
a better success rate than a more traditional procedure which does
require chest entry, splitting and spreading of sternum, and
consequent long recovery with significant discomfort and disability
along the way.

It's a complex procedure that can take from 6 to 9 hours, a lot of
high-tech kit and I don't know how many people in the operating
theater. Hers took six, which I immediately regarded as a good omen.

Prognosis is sometimes not clear for two to three months but she's
already ticking like a Timex, a very good sign.

The doc seemed quite pleased with her progress, his performance or
both. I intend absolutely no disrespect there, quite the contrary.
There isn't a speck of arrogance about this doctor though he is
obviously highly respected at this hospital which is among the 100
best cardiac centers in the nation. Luck of the draw, we happen to
live close. We both like how he presents.

All signs were good as of 1730 today. She'll spend the night in ICU
and probably come home tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for good wishes and prayers. Mary had a bunch of
"prayer warriors" (her term) on her six.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
[...]

Great news, Don. Keep us informed.

Don't worry about doctors who seem to be caught up in their "performance."
Like top actors, scientists, generals, and many others, they need
extraordinary confidence and ego to do their job. Without it, they're
useless. After it's over is the time for them to worry about the patient.
Until then, it's their show, their pride of performance, and their extreme
self-confidence that carries them through.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:20:39 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Aside from actors, I disagree. The ingredients of leadership are
confidence, competence, and ability to motivate and lead other
contributors essential to accomplishment of mission or objective. Ego
may attend, is acceptable and forgivable if and only if it doesn't
impair performance as a leader as well as a performer.

A devinely-inspired and supremely-talented general can't individually
accomplish any more than a private with comparable combat skill, and
the well-trained private will certainly be younger, stronger and
quicker. Talent differentiates individual performers and contributors
but individual contributors seldom get it done outside of sports and
show biz.

The time for the surgeon to worry about the patient is at initial
encounter and constantly thereafter during subsequent activities.
That's what we've seen both with Mary's surgeon and with mine a coupla
years ago. Both ops were small team efforts. These talented
physicians (and their small teams) are real people that relate to and
regard their patients with caring respect. I guess I can't assert
that as a generality, but this has been our experience. We're
ordinary seniors with medicare and supplemental, not richbitch elite
by any stretch.

When I visited my surgeon for post-op checkup a coupla weeks after
discharge, I didn't bring my heart pillow though I was far from done
with it. Dr. Anderson asked me to grip his hand as firmly as I could,
don't know why. I asked him if he was sure he wanted me to do that.
He grinned, said to back off if I see him flinch.

I gripped, he flinched and grinned. "I won't need to see you again.
Your rehab regimen starts now. Let's talk about rifles."

Our colleagues and lunch buds during our careers (and some shooting
buds post-career) included some world-class scientists, so perhaps our
ability to ask good questions has contributed to our very positive
experiences. I don't think so, because most experiences were
post-priori. I think that we've been shot and blessed with luck.
Living in the twin cities area was undoubtedly a beneficial factor.

We've been incredibly lucky with neighbors and with health care
professionals. And with each other. And with good wishes and prayers
from some of y'all.

Now, can we get back to ****ing each other off? G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm not talking about leadership, but about the personal qualities needed to
accomplish certain things that terrify most people.

[...]

Sure. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Your Doctor made the same mistake as mine. The only thing different was
mine asked me to squeeze as hard and as fast as I could. He will not be
making that mistake again! Nothing like a couple broken bones to wake
you up!

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Was that one of the new mitral valve clamps by Abbott?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:45:20 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Remediation of atrial fibrillation, valves not involved.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 13, 11:13*pm, Don Foreman
wrote:
[...]

MIDCAB? Glad she's doing well and you folks are in good hands.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:18:29 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Apr 13, 11:13*pm, Don Foreman
wrote:
[...]

Not MIDCAB, remediation by ablation of atrial fibrillation which isn't
usually life-threatening but can be (and has been) a significant
quality-of-life issue.

Until very recently, the response to afib has been: "get used to it"
or "suck it up", usually expressed somewhat more diplomatically. It's
not life-threatening like v-fib but it can strongly affect quality of
life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don, congratulations.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 1:12*am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:18:29 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."

wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:13*pm, Don Foreman
wrote:
[...]

life. *- Hide quoted text -

When she feels stronger and more alert, I'm guessing that you might
have some increased competition at the shooting range.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:58:41 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Apr 14, 1:12*am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:18:29 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."

wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:13*pm, Don Foreman
wrote:
[...]

Yeah! It's been a while since her last range visit!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:18:29 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Apr 13, 11:13 pm, Don Foreman
wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine had ablation procedure a few months ago, and is feeling
fine now.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:23:51 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

A friend of mine had ablation procedure a few months ago, and is feeling
fine now.

Steve

Good to know. I'll tell Mary. Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:12:49 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:18:29 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Apr 13, 11:13*pm, Don Foreman
wrote:
Mary's heart surgery went very well.

Great to hear, Don!

All signs were good as of 1730 today. She'll spend the night in ICU
and probably come home tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for good wishes and prayers. *Mary had a bunch of
"prayer warriors" (her term) on her six.

MIDCAB? Glad she's doing well and you folks are in good hands.

Not MIDCAB, remediation by ablation of atrial fibrillation which isn't
usually life-threatening but can be (and has been) a significant
quality-of-life issue.

Scary ****, Maynard. Laser or RF? What did they actually vaporize?
Was there a growth next to the atrial valve or muscle?

Until very recently, the response to afib has been: "get used to it"
or "suck it up", usually expressed somewhat more diplomatically. It's
not life-threatening like v-fib but it can strongly affect quality of
life.

Long ago, in a spine very close to me, doctors wanted to go in with an
RF probe and nuke the nerves going to my right arm to relieve pain. I
said "MICROWAVE MY SPINE?" and "Um, don't the nerves tell me when to
stop twisting so I don't sever my spine? What happens when I don't get
those signals and keep twisting? Wouldn't it paralyze me?" When the
doctor answered "Yes" to all three questions and added that it was a
new technique that he, himself, hadn't yet used, I said "Um, pass."
15 years later, Crom, nature, and time saw to it that I was 85%
improved. Now, 25 years later, I'm putting up decks (with care) and
such.

Pass on a "Heal quickly, Mary!" message for me, will ya?

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Not MIDCAB, remediation by ablation of atrial fibrillation which isn't
usually life-threatening but can be (and has been) a significant
quality-of-life issue.

Until very recently, the response to afib has been: "get used to it"
or "suck it up", usually expressed somewhat more diplomatically. It's
not life-threatening like v-fib but it can strongly affect quality of
life.

Don,
My father had the same type of problem and the same procedure to deal
with it. One thing he didn't pay attention to was the recovery phase the
Doc's wanted him to follow. As a result he had to go in again and they
did some more work.

Make sure she allows the healing to take place. It may annoy her to not
do certain things, and she might complain, but it is essential to let
the heart recover.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:59:09 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Roger that! She'll heed the doc's instructions. I'm more worried that
she'll discover she likes having me do some tasks that have
traditionally been hers. G

One thing she definitely won't do is complain.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:35:47 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

Roger that! She'll heed the doc's instructions. I'm more worried that
she'll discover she likes having me do some tasks that have
traditionally been hers. G

Do them poorly and she won't. g

One thing she definitely won't do is complain.

Newp.

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Make sure she allows the healing to take place. It may annoy her to not
do certain things, and she might complain, but it is essential to let
the heart recover.

Roger that! She'll heed the doc's instructions. I'm more worried that
she'll discover she likes having me do some tasks that have
traditionally been hers. G

One thing she definitely won't do is complain.

Any updates on your Mary?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/13/2010 11:13 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

It wasn't as invasive as split-sternum surgery because it's done
entirely via catheters threaded thru major veins from groin and
elsewhere, guided by ultrasound, xray, computers and a bunch of
technology. It's fairly new and not widely practiced, but already has
a better success rate than a more traditional procedure which does
require chest entry, splitting and spreading of sternum, and
consequent long recovery with significant discomfort and disability
along the way.

Thanks to everyone for good wishes and prayers. Mary had a bunch of
"prayer warriors" (her term) on her six.

Real big yea!, Don.
Give her all our best wishes.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Now spoil the heck out of her when she gets home.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

That's great Don.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:13:19 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

That's great news, Don!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

My best to you and your wife. I understand exactly where the two of you are
right now because I had the same procedure done 6 yrs ago in May. It was
(and remains) successful. Its good to hear they shortened the process a bit
mine took almost 15 hrs, not that I could tell but it was hell on the wife.
The doc I had sounds similar to yours, kind, modest and caring. He took an
enormous amount of time to explain the procedure, the risks and educate me
so I could ask questions. I can't say enough good things about him or his
staff. It was about 2 weeks of "intense" recovery (mostly the ill-effects of
being in a drug induced coma for 15 hrs) a year of anti-coagulant therapy
and follow up visits but worth not having to take 3-4 cardiac meds and other
meds to lesson the side effects of the first 3-4 meds for the next 40+
years.

If my experience can be of any use to you just ask
6 yrs no fib

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:08:36 -0400, "EIsmith"
wrote:

[...]

I will definitely tell her tomorrow about your good experience. Thanks
for sharing it!

They decided to keep her for an additional day but we're quite sure
she'll be released tomorrow.