Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crappy welding rod or new style flux??

Existential Angst wrote:
One option does exist, tho: Tigging the gate??? Make any sense?
I've seen tig'ed autologous welds on thin SS sheet, really nice, but I don't
know if people tig crappy HR steel.
But, since I will likely be using 1/2" sq tubing (16 ga) for the pickets (6'
long), mebbe tigging might not be such a bad idea.....

TIG'ing 16 gauge square tubing gives really nice results. It's a little
slow. I usually use ER70-S2 filler. Half my house is furnished in 1/2"
and 1" box tubing furniture.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Awl --

Some time ago, my old supply of 3/32 60xx rod ran out -- no biggie, went
out and got another 5# box.... Miller Econotig, AC/DC tig welder.

Holy ****, the rod was, imo, nearly unusable. Typical HD crap (Lincoln
brand, iirc) I thought, so I returned it, and bought some stuff from a local
welding house.
Holy ****, more crap.....

Now, one might think, mebbe the *welder* went bad, but I think it's too
coincidental that it would go bad on the FIRST rod of a new pack...
Plus, I think I was able to find stubs of the old rod, which did just fine.

The problem seems dsitinctly related to the flux, which seems to protrude
over the metal core, and becomes very hard, making it a pita to strike an
arc and start a clean weld. It's sorta OK once it gets started, but
goddamm, it's getting it started.....

Previously, on a cold cold rod, I might have to bang a little to get an arc
started, but once started, re-strikes were like butter -- just a scratch and
the arc would lite up.
Now, restrikes are as much a pita as the first miserable cold strike.

The funny part is that this happened in two different batches of 60xx rod,
from two diff. places.
Are they making rod differently now? Some EPA ****?? Is this something I'm
just going to have to get used to?

I'd post on sejw, but I thought mebbe I'd see first if any other non-pro
welders were having such problems, and what if any solutions they've found.

I got a gate job coming up for my Sanford&Son driveway, which will be a
miserable enough job on its own, without making every arc strike a struggle.

One option does exist, tho: Tigging the gate??? Make any sense?
I've seen tig'ed autologous welds on thin SS sheet, really nice, but I don't
know if people tig crappy HR steel.
But, since I will likely be using 1/2" sq tubing (16 ga) for the pickets (6'
long), mebbe tigging might not be such a bad idea.....

Opinions?
--
EA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are you sure that you got your polarity right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus1414" wrote in message
Are you sure that you got your polarity right?

DC neg, but tried all.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:17:00 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Awl --

Some time ago, my old supply of 3/32 60xx rod ran out -- no biggie, went
out and got another 5# box.... Miller Econotig, AC/DC tig welder.

Holy ****, the rod was, imo, nearly unusable.

60xx covers a lot of territory. If you were used to running 6013 and
tried 6010 or 6011 for the first time it might explain what you're
experiencing.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ive got about 1200 lbs of various rods of all sorts.

Drop me an email with your addy and Ill send you some good stuff.

Want stainless steel? Regular 60xx?

What diameter...1/16'? 3/32? 1/8"? 5/16" G...3/8" VBG

Frankly..for gate work..a MIG is your best choice IMHO..shrug. Id be
happy to sell you one. 300amp 3ph do it for you?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:24:11 -0500, Ignoramus1414
wrote:

Are you sure that you got your polarity right?

Excellent! question!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:27:55 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Ignoramus1414" wrote in message
m...
Are you sure that you got your polarity right?

DC neg, but tried all.

Worst comes to worst..AC works pretty well for that sort of thing
generally.

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Does this mean you still love my white-ish liberal-ish Yonkers, N'Yawk-ish
ass??
--
EA

Want stainless steel? Regular 60xx?

What diameter...1/16'? 3/32? 1/8"? 5/16" G...3/8" VBG

Frankly..for gate work..a MIG is your best choice IMHO..shrug. Id be
happy to sell you one. 300amp 3ph do it for you?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't consider "XX" to be a good enough description for 80 series
rod. If the old rod was 6013 and the new rod was 6011, I could see the
problem, if you weren't used to it or if your welder has a low open
circuit voltage.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:44:19 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes, since you ALWAYS supply the K-Y.

Son..if you already havent figured it out...we are a very large family
here. Some of the members..the retarded ones, are leftwing..the less
retarded ones are liberalish and so forth..but we are all family.

There are very few people here, (with a couple notible exceptions) that
I wont help out. While I may not like all of the family members..doesnt
mean I wont bail one out of jail (with a couple notible exceptions) if
push comes to shove.

Politics is one thing...metalworking is another.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:30:11 -0500, spaco
wrote:

I don't consider "XX" to be a good enough description for 80 series
rod. If the old rod was 6013 and the new rod was 6011, I could see the
problem, if you weren't used to it or if your welder has a low open
circuit voltage.

Pete Stanaitis

Indeed. 6010 runs way differently than does 6013....chuckle.

Gunner

---------------

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:54:00 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Son..if you already havent figured it out...we are a very large family
here. Some of the members..the retarded ones, are leftwing..the less
retarded ones are liberalish and so forth..but we are all family.

If you have an asset, even if it's only worth a dollar, then sell it
and use the money to reduce your debts instead of trying to buy
friends with it. Besides, do you really need the kind of friends who'd
take from you knowing that you have more important obligations?

Signed: Your family of Kern County and other creditors

PS How come you only call us when you need us? Don't you believe in
family?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking