DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Not OT (for once) - follow up - drill chuck removal problem (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/301202-not-ot-once-follow-up-drill-chuck-removal-problem.html)

Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] April 9th 10 02:55 PM

Not OT (for once) - follow up - drill chuck removal problem

Hi All,
follow up - some time ago, I asked about how to remove the key-less
chuck on battery drills. My semi-dead one I was using as a power
screwdriver finally had a toooo dead battery pack, so it was
sacrificed to the cause. Got some good advice, so used it. Biggest
Allen key that would fit in the chuck , a lot of whacks with the
hammer - came loose (yes, I had figured out the reverse screw thread
thingy down the middle)
Thanks people - advice noted, and used successfully.
Andrew VK3BFA.

Stormin Mormon April 9th 10 03:29 PM

Not OT (for once) - follow up - drill chuck removal problem

What will you do with a separated chuck?

Did you consider rigging an external battery pack for your
drill?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

RBnDFW April 9th 10 03:48 PM

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Hi All,
follow up - some time ago, I asked about how to remove the key-less
chuck on battery drills. My semi-dead one I was using as a power
screwdriver finally had a toooo dead battery pack, so it was
sacrificed to the cause. Got some good advice, so used it. Biggest
Allen key that would fit in the chuck , a lot of whacks with the
hammer - came loose (yes, I had figured out the reverse screw thread
thingy down the middle)
Thanks people - advice noted, and used successfully.
Andrew VK3BFA.

BTW, my dead cordless drills get a set of cables from (equally dead)
battery chargers. Clamp a 9.6-volt drill to a marginal 12V battery and
you can drill for hours, in a semi-portable way

Stormin Mormon April 9th 10 10:11 PM

Not OT (for once) - follow up - drill chuck removal problem

Does the over voltage burn out the motor?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

dan April 10th 10 03:33 AM

Not OT (for once) - follow up - drill chuck removal problem

What's that Lassie? You say that Stormin Mormon fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:11:08 -0400:

Does the over voltage burn out the motor?

Many voltages of cordless drills have the same motor in them.
9.6v to 14.4v should be OK on 12v.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] April 10th 10 04:39 PM

Not OT (for once) - follow up - drill chuck removal problem

On Apr 10, 12:29*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What will you do with a separated chuck?

bin it. got too much useless "junque" as it is.

Did you consider rigging an external battery pack for your
drill?

No. Wanted the internals more, have other good working drills so no
great drama if it died, or I stuffed it up.

Christopher A. Young

Andrew VK3BFA. (who all to often throws caution and common sense to
the winds, and presses the Big Red Button just to see what
happens...)

Gunner Asch[_6_] April 10th 10 10:10 PM

Not OT (for once) - follow up - drill chuck removal problem

wrote:

What will you do with a separated chuck?

bin it. got too much useless "junque" as it is.

Did you consider rigging an external battery pack for your
drill?

No. Wanted the internals more, have other good working drills so no
great drama if it died, or I stuffed it up.

Christopher A. Young

Andrew VK3BFA. (who all to often throws caution and common sense to
the winds, and presses the Big Red Button just to see what
happens...)

I use old drill chucks to hold lathe bits while cutting and sharpening
them on the grinder. Works good, and doesnt burn ones fingers.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost