Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need an idea on how to use scrap electrical conduit.

Recently a neighbor that cleans up construction sites had about 100
pieces of one inch electrical conduit cutoffs from 1 foot to four feet
long. On an impulse I offered him $20 for the lot thinking surely I
can come up with some way of using them. What are some creative things
some of you have used this stuff for?
Possible uses I have thought of:
Rollers for a conveyor system.
Wind chimes.
Tent stakes.

Anything?

DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns wrote:

Recently a neighbor that cleans up construction sites had about 100
pieces of one inch electrical conduit cutoffs from 1 foot to four feet
long. On an impulse I offered him $20 for the lot thinking surely I
can come up with some way of using them. What are some creative things
some of you have used this stuff for?
Possible uses I have thought of:
Rollers for a conveyor system.
Wind chimes.
Tent stakes.

Anything?

Frames for wire racks & shop carts.

I always thought it would make good car axles for libtards, though.
;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns wrote:
Recently a neighbor that cleans up construction sites had about 100
pieces of one inch electrical conduit cutoffs from 1 foot to four feet
long. On an impulse I offered him $20 for the lot thinking surely I
can come up with some way of using them. What are some creative things
some of you have used this stuff for?
Possible uses I have thought of:
Rollers for a conveyor system.
Wind chimes.
Tent stakes.

Anything?

DL

My uses include:

tomato stakes
flea-market tarp frame
cheater bars

I understand electricians use them somehow.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Possible uses I have thought of:
Rollers for a conveyor system.
Wind chimes.
Tent stakes.

Anything?

DL

My uses include:

tomato stakes
flea-market tarp frame
cheater bars

I understand electricians use them somehow.

I've got a pile of 7/8 conduit. maybe 500 ten footers. And i need to make
tomtato stakes for 150 plants. I checked growers out in FL this winter. They
use rebar with the advantage being the tying twine you run down the row
doesn't slip - just loop and pull tight. Here I'm thinking buy rebar. How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to this slick
stuff?

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 14:22:40 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I've got a pile of 7/8 conduit. maybe 500 ten footers. And i need to make
tomtato stakes for 150 plants. I checked growers out in FL this winter. They
use rebar with the advantage being the tying twine you run down the row
doesn't slip - just loop and pull tight. Here I'm thinking buy rebar. How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to this slick
stuff?

karl

TIG welding :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got a pile of 7/8 conduit. maybe 500 ten footers. And i need to make
tomtato stakes for 150 plants. I checked growers out in FL this winter. They
use rebar with the advantage being the tying twine you run down the row
doesn't slip - just loop and pull tight. Here I'm thinking buy rebar. How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to this slick
stuff?

karl

TIG welding :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Keep in mind that most conduit is Galvanized (Zinc) plated. No
Welding without removing the Zinc.
_kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got a pile of 7/8 conduit. maybe 500 ten footers. And i need to make
tomtato stakes for 150 plants. I checked growers out in FL this winter.. They
use rebar with the advantage being the tying twine you run down the row
doesn't slip - just loop and pull tight. Here I'm thinking buy rebar. How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to this slick
stuff?

karl

TIG welding :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Keep in mind that most conduit is Galvanized (Zinc) plated. *No
Welding without removing the Zinc.
_kevin

If you do breathe the zinc fumes, drink lots of milk.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

karchiba wrote:

Keep in mind that most conduit is Galvanized (Zinc) plated. No
Welding without removing the Zinc.

Or you will learn what the Zinc Flu is.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:46:45 -0700 (PDT), the infamous karchiba
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I've got a pile of 7/8 conduit. maybe 500 ten footers. And i need to make
tomtato stakes for 150 plants. I checked growers out in FL this winter. They
use rebar with the advantage being the tying twine you run down the row
doesn't slip - just loop and pull tight. Here I'm thinking buy rebar. How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to this slick
stuff?

karl

TIG welding :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Keep in mind that most conduit is Galvanized (Zinc) plated. No
Welding without removing the Zinc.

Kevin, after removing the zinc, what rod do you use to attach tomato
stems to the conduit? silly grin

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 5, 12:35*pm, TwoGuns wrote:
Recently a neighbor that cleans up construction sites had about 100
pieces of one inch electrical conduit cutoffs from 1 foot to four feet
long. On an impulse I offered him $20 for the lot thinking surely I
can come up with some way of using them. What are some creative things
some of you have used this stuff for?
Possible uses I have thought of:
Rollers for a conveyor system.
Wind chimes.
Tent stakes.

Anything?

DL

Thanks guys. You gave some useful ideas.

DL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got a pile of 7/8 conduit. maybe 500 ten footers. And i need to make
tomtato stakes for 150 plants. I checked growers out in FL this winter. They
use rebar with the advantage being the tying twine you run down the row
doesn't slip - just loop and pull tight. Here I'm thinking buy rebar. How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to this slick
stuff?

karl

TIG welding :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Keep in mind that most conduit is Galvanized (Zinc) plated. No
Welding without removing the Zinc.

Kevin, after removing the zinc, what rod do you use to attach tomato
stems to the conduit? silly grin

Tomato Paste? sillier grin
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got a pile of 7/8 conduit. maybe 500 ten footers. And i need to make
tomtato stakes for 150 plants. I checked growers out in FL this winter. They
use rebar with the advantage being the tying twine you run down the row
doesn't slip - just loop and pull tight. Here I'm thinking buy rebar. How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to this slick
stuff?

karl

TIG welding :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Keep in mind that most conduit is Galvanized (Zinc) plated. *No
Welding without removing the Zinc.

Kevin, after removing the zinc, what rod do you use to attach tomato
stems to the conduit? *silly grin

--

Actually if you use silicon bronze you can skip removing the zinc.
And the galvanize will be good almost to the silicon bronze. I would

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl wondered:
How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to
thi

s slick
stuff?

This looks like an opportunity to build a tool!

Create a roller rig that will "neck" that EMT every few inches. Sort of
like a pipe cutter, but with a dull edge, so it doesn't cut the pipe,
just roll-forms a compressed line in it.

You might get away with just grinding a pipe-cutter's wheel to a round
profile. In which case, since all good Rigid-brand pipe cutters have
replaceable cutters, that's not a very expensive proposition.

Then... you set up your lathe without the tailstock so you can chuck up
the pieces, and just "step" down the pipe with the forming tool.

Heck! You might not even destroy the galvanizing, if you polish the
wheel.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 5, 11:35*am, TwoGuns wrote:
Recently a neighbor that cleans up construction sites had about 100
pieces of one inch electrical conduit cutoffs from 1 foot to four feet
long. On an impulse I offered him $20 for the lot thinking surely I
can come up with some way of using them. What are some creative things
some of you have used this stuff for?
Possible uses I have thought of:
Rollers for a conveyor system.
Wind chimes.
Tent stakes.

Anything?

DL

My dad was an electrician and we had whole trashcans full of cutoffs.
Some of the things he used them for were spacers, flattened the ends,
drilled holes and used them for rungs on trellis-types of things, hung
two pieces from ropes hanging from rafters like swings to support
ladders laid flat, welded up a bicycle stand from a bunch. Also short
pegs to hang stuff on and always short stubs needed to hook electrical
boxes together. Had probably 500 lbs when we cleaned the place out,
got a few bucks for scrap value. Anything over a foot was useful,
short stuff was pretty much scrap.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Cross-Slide wrote:

RTFM

Keep in mind that most conduit is Galvanized (Zinc) plated. *No
Welding without removing the Zinc.
_kevin

If you do breathe the zinc fumes, drink lots of milk.

THe plants may not care for the zinc either, as it corrodes off
I know that everywhere on my roof where there is some galv metal,
there is no moss down hill from it.

jk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns wrote:
Recently a neighbor that cleans up construction sites had about 100
pieces of one inch electrical conduit cutoffs from 1 foot to four feet
long. On an impulse I offered him $20 for the lot thinking surely I
can come up with some way of using them. What are some creative things
some of you have used this stuff for?
Possible uses I have thought of:
Rollers for a conveyor system.
Wind chimes.
Tent stakes.

Anything?

DL

Wind chimes is good---but you have to suspend them at the proper place
to get the proper sounding full tone--Try by suspending between thumb &
finger---then you have to find the sweet spot to strike it also--if you
goof & cut one too short you can add a little weight on the bottom. JW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got a pile of 7/8 conduit. maybe 500 ten footers. And i need to make
tomtato stakes for 150 plants. I checked growers out in FL this winter. They
use rebar with the advantage being the tying twine you run down the row
doesn't slip - just loop and pull tight. Here I'm thinking buy rebar. How do
you use conduit for tomato plants? Specifially, how do you tie to this slick
stuff?

karl

TIG welding :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

wire welding faster--line 'em up--snap a chalk line & pop a bead on each one
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just use garden tape. Available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DG...b_b_asin_image

It works fine.

electrical conduit adaptor rocky UK diy 0 May 15th 08 08:27 PM
from whence electrical-conduit locknuts? Paul Hovnanian P.E. Home Ownership 4 January 6th 08 07:56 PM
Fitting Electrical Conduit [email protected] UK diy 8 January 14th 05 07:43 PM
Electrical conduit. PVR Home Repair 8 January 12th 05 01:02 AM
Electrical questions on using conduit Wayne Whitney Home Repair 29 September 24th 04 05:56 AM