Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for someone who can broach Grob splines

Anyone reading this have the confirmed ability to broach Grob splines?

I've got a quote request for the person(s) who can... But be aware that
it's in steel and/or alumi-bronze.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Aluminum bronze reminds me of a story.

Years ago I bought two blocks of "brass" at Boeing Surplus. Had them
for years and one day decided to make a little steam/compressed air
engine. I laid out the cuts on the brass block and started to cut with
a hand hack saw. Strange, not cutting much. So, put in a new blade.
Cuts better for a while, then not so much. Hmmm. Must be cheap saw
blades. So, change blades again. Same story. Don't understand this.
Finally, got the part cut out that I wanted and began to mill it to
size. Seemed to mill ok. Went ahead and completed the steam engine.
The brass was for the cylinder.

Several months later my brother, Curt, and family and his wife's
family visited for Christmas. I was telling Curt's father-in-law about
my little engine and mentioned my struggle with sawing the brass. Now,
Lloyd was a retired, self-taught, machinist. Worked at it for years in
Portland. He kind of laughed and asked me to get the brass and let him
see it. I did and he laughed some more. That is "aluminum bronze" for
bearings". He was not at all surprised at my difficulty.

I still have the two blocks and have not tried using it for any other
projects.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:21:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

When I was in the Air Force aluminum bronze was commonly used to make
bushings for airplanes. We commonly used it for anything that called
for "yellow metal". One of the lads even made rings out of it and
while TDY to Okinawa discovered that the girls down on the strip would
do almost anything for one of his "gold rings". He apparently spent
much of his tour ring making. Said he saved a lot of money doing it
:-)

John B.

Broach for motorcycle gear/brake splined shafts? _[_2_] Metalworking 7 March 14th 09 01:31 PM
Splines? trg-s338 Metalworking 26 March 26th 06 09:40 AM
Grob Bandsaw Problem coolcamaro79 Metalworking 3 February 19th 05 04:05 AM
FA: Keyway Broach Set Keith Marshall Metalworking 0 February 17th 05 05:14 AM