Old February 11th 10, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheldon Lathe

I have done the google seach and of course this forum.

Bed number is S2570.

Catalog number is 5FWQM.

I have determined that the bed number, S2570, means 12" but the
Catalog number is bewildering.

The M in the Catalog number means 56" bed. The lathe bed length is 56"
according to the nameplate.

The man who does the lathes site in the UK is away until next week.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob AZ

Old February 11th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ wrote:
I have done the google seach and of course this forum.

Bed number is S2570.

Catalog number is 5FWQM.

I have determined that the bed number, S2570, means 12" but the
Catalog number is bewildering.

The M in the Catalog number means 56" bed. The lathe bed length is 56"
according to the nameplate.

The man who does the lathes site in the UK is away until next week.

Yahoo has a Sheldon lathe group, and we have a family member of the
original Sheldon founders who knows EVERYTHING about them.

Jon
Old February 12th 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yahoo has a Sheldon lathe group, and we have a family member of the
original Sheldon founders who knows EVERYTHING about them.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sheldonlathe/

Jon

Jon

Joined yesterday. Not accepted yet. For now information re what I
posted would be fine.

Thanks
Bob AZ

Old February 12th 10, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob -

I have a Sheldon - 11L44 - several of us have them.

I bought it with Dad - I carried off the some tool as he had
his hands full with tooling. Hardware store. Don't you love 1952!

National Acme Co.
Sheldon Machine Div.
170 E. 131 St street
Cleveland, Ohio 44108

Telephone - 1-800-553-2263
Fax 1-216-268-1287

The number on the ways normally has a letter set and a number set.
You had one letter - hum. Feel there is more.

The catalog number indicates the options. For example

Gary has a EXL-56B and the serial number is TXE 19683 T

If you call Acme/Sheldon (now) they can provide parts list and parts.(high).
(high if you can find them - ok if you can't!)

Be sure to have full set of bead alpha-number sets and the marketing / catalog
as well. The options are called out - and the parts list is different...

Mine has a nice set of Chrome ways. Use it from time to time and need
to replace the two wire power plug with some (larger wire, it is a 1hp) and
provide a frame ground.

Martin

Old February 12th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I found mine - a TLWQ 10406 way number or serial number.
I would think or hope that the uk site would have a key.
An option key for the way and model numbers.

Martin

Old February 12th 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 9:13�pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
I found mine - a TLWQ 10406 way number or serial number.
I would think or hope that the uk site would have a key.
An option key for the way and model numbers.
Martin

Martin

From the searching I have done it is apparent that I will have to take
a better look at the Nameplate and the Way number. Two of us were
looking at the numbers and letters so I thought we had all correct.
But apparently not.

Is there a chart or the like that cross references the numbers and
letters? The lathe looks just like many of the pictures I have found
on the web. Also someone mentioned that Sheldon would do a custom job
if asked. So I will just have to be patient and do more research.

The lathe I have is real dirty and grimy. It is partially
disassembled. We are cleaning and soaking lots of parts. The motor is
an underdrive type and too dirty to touch. 1/2HP and large enough to
be a 5HP if it was todays vintage. Originally 110V but I will change
it to 220V. The wiring is terrible but I can handle it. Replace it
all. Switch is up behind the tailstock. This will get moved to a safer
location.

The stand is the drawer type. 5 drawers with a coolant tray. The base
or feet are the tubular type. Right side flat on the floor. Leftside
curves up to the left. You probably know what I mean. And all is
dirty.

Thanks for the input
Bob AZ
Old February 13th 10, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes - Know a lot of the bases from pictures of the 10, 11 docs.
Good luck on the clean - big job.

MSCdirect has gallon size of way oil to keep them clean and free of
chips. I think the oil floats the cuts and the wipers push them off.

I've never seen a chart of ID numbers but I know the numbers are very
important if you get docs from Acme/Sheldon - they will send them -
but the numbers are good between dates they know certain numbers and
can date them - within good reason.

As luck would have it, I know the salesman that sold it to Dad and I.
He is retired in Sacramento but the hardware store changed names or is
long gone. Twas an interesting quest to see if I could.

Get the docs from Sheldon - they will help in a number of ways as you
clean and discover a warn pad or gear or half-nut. Some of it - how does
it get apart.

Also the carriage contains an oil bath for the gears - might be gum and
gears now.

If I can help - let me know. I might spot something.

Martin

wrote:
I found mine - a TLWQ 10406 way number or serial number.
I would think or hope that the uk site would have a key.
An option key for the way and model numbers.
Martin

Martin

From the searching I have done it is apparent that I will have to take

Old February 15th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Bob -

I have a Sheldon - 11L44 - several of us have them.

I bought it with Dad - I carried off the some tool as he had
his hands full with tooling. Hardware store. Don't you love 1952!

National Acme Co.
Sheldon Machine Div.
170 E. 131 St street
Cleveland, Ohio 44108

National Acme was bought by DeVlieg-Bullard II, good folks to work with,
but as they sold nothing under $100K, they weren't too concerned about
having a machinist make a single gear for $475. I decided to braze the
tooth back on instead!

Anyway, Bourne & Koch bought out DeVleig-Bullard, and they seem to have
dumped the Sheldon prints, so now parts can't be made at all.

Jon
Old February 15th 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-15, Jon Elson wrote:
National Acme was bought by DeVlieg-Bullard II, good folks to work with,
but as they sold nothing under $100K, they weren't too concerned about
having a machinist make a single gear for $475. I decided to braze the
tooth back on instead!

Anyway, Bourne & Koch bought out DeVleig-Bullard, and they seem to have
dumped the Sheldon prints, so now parts can't be made at all.

This is really disgusting, typical and is a very bad side of the
merger mania.

As we know, mergers usually destroy shareholder value (as is the case
with buying Sheldon, which was completely destroyed and thus brought
no value to the purchaser), but they also single handedly leave
customers stranded. Very typical and a sad consequence of testosterone
overload of corporate executives.

If you want to know how I really feel about it,let me know.

Old February 16th 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That is a shame. I guess I got to them early enough and so
did my friend in La.

I have the L Series Lathes 10" swing, 3/4" collet Capacity
For lathes built prior to S/N TLWQ 10758 [ mine is a 10L44 not 11. ]

I also have Sheldon 11" lathe part list.

They are not blue prints - 81/2 x 11" paper - exploded views and such.

Martin