Old February 16th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheldon Lathe

I agree. The mental state of the new company is thinking - trash old,
when they get excited and buy our new... or maybe not!

A doc control if nothing else would bring customers aware of the company
and maybe future business.

It is a shame.
Martin

On 2010-02-15, Jon Elson wrote:
National Acme was bought by DeVlieg-Bullard II, good folks to work with,
but as they sold nothing under $100K, they weren't too concerned about
having a machinist make a single gear for $475. I decided to braze the
tooth back on instead!

Anyway, Bourne & Koch bought out DeVleig-Bullard, and they seem to have
dumped the Sheldon prints, so now parts can't be made at all.

This is really disgusting, typical and is a very bad side of the
merger mania.

As we know, mergers usually destroy shareholder value (as is the case
with buying Sheldon, which was completely destroyed and thus brought
no value to the purchaser), but they also single handedly leave
customers stranded. Very typical and a sad consequence of testosterone
overload of corporate executives.

If you want to know how I really feel about it,let me know.

Old February 18th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-15, Jon Elson wrote:
National Acme was bought by DeVlieg-Bullard II, good folks to work with,
but as they sold nothing under $100K, they weren't too concerned about
having a machinist make a single gear for $475. I decided to braze the
tooth back on instead!

Anyway, Bourne & Koch bought out DeVleig-Bullard, and they seem to have
dumped the Sheldon prints, so now parts can't be made at all.

This is really disgusting, typical and is a very bad side of the
merger mania.

Well, I don't KNOW this is true. Somebody may have scuttled out the
back door with the prints, and are setting up shop to make some of the
common wear parts as we speak. I sure HOPE this is the case. But, what
I have heard is that Bourne and Koch are NOT making parts for Sheldon
machines, period. It may hardly matter, as it made NO sense to have
them make one-offs for the smaller Sheldon lathes. There are not that
many of the R-series and other larger lathes where it WOULD make sense
to go to such expense. DeVlieg-Bullard II had the prints, and would
quote the price to make parts at least for R-series machines, but I
definitely did NOT want to pay their quoted price.

Anyway, I have no idea how many Sheldons are left floating around. I
did a huge rebuild on an R15-6 (15 x 42", 5 Hp, 2.25" spindle bore, D1-6
mount, 80 threading feeds) made about 1968, and it is now a dandy
machine! But, I don't know if there are enough left for anybody to make
a buck making parts for them.

Jon
Old February 18th 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I agree. The mental state of the new company is thinking - trash old,
when they get excited and buy our new... or maybe not!

DeVlieg-Bullard II (the successors of national Acme, who were the
successors, in turn, of Sheldon) made nothing under $100 grand, so they
definitely were NOT in the home shop market. I think Bourne & Koch are
in even more stratospheric markets, if that is possible. I don't think
either of them make traditional machine tools (lathes, mills) but
special-purpose punch press type stuff.

Jon
Old February 18th 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

I've never seen a chart of ID numbers but I know the numbers are very
important if you get docs from Acme/Sheldon - they will send them -
but the numbers are good between dates they know certain numbers and
can date them - within good reason.

Get the docs from Sheldon - they will help in a number of ways as you
clean and discover a warn pad or gear or half-nut. Some of it - how does
it get apart.

Sheldon closed in the early 1970's, and when DeVlieg-Bullard II was
acquired by Bourne & Koch, I think they got rid of all the Sheldon
stuff. DeVlieg would at least send you the owner's manual for your
model/date range. Bourne just says they have nothing.

So, the last hope is the Yahoo Sheldon group, which is graced by one of
the family members, John Knox, who knows EVERYTHING about these
machines. Ask him what bearing goes in the varispeed drive, and he will
get back in a couple hours with the exact part number!

There is no chart of model numbers, because the letters mean different
things in different combinations. "T" could mean Timken bearings, ot
Taper Attachment, or Turret Tailstock, or something else. But, John
knows pretty much how to figure it out.

Jon
Old December 20th 16, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheldon Lathe group I want to join. I have an early 1940Sheldon 10"

On Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:02:55 PM UTC-8, Bob AZ wrote:
I have done the google seach and of course this forum.

Bed number is S2570.

Catalog number is 5FWQM.

I have determined that the bed number, S2570, means 12" but the
Catalog number is bewildering.

The M in the Catalog number means 56" bed. The lathe bed length is 56"
according to the nameplate.

The man who does the lathes site in the UK is away until next week.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob AZ

Old December 20th 16, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 08:13:33 -0800 (PST), Don Dotson
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:02:55 PM UTC-8, Bob AZ wrote:
I have done the google seach and of course this forum.

Bed number is S2570.

Catalog number is 5FWQM.

I have determined that the bed number, S2570, means 12" but the
Catalog number is bewildering.

The M in the Catalog number means 56" bed. The lathe bed length is 56"
according to the nameplate.

The man who does the lathes site in the UK is away until next week.

Any input would be appreciated.

Try asking at www.vintagemachinery.org Bob. It's more woodworking
oriented, but some machinists and metalworkers play there. A quick
check of their mfgr page didn't give me anything on Sheldon lathes,
tho.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Old December 21st 16, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have to find which cabinet / desk I have my Sheldon documents.

I have a L-44 a 44" bed length - not between centers as some think.
L- is a marketing / sales name. the Way number is the real stuff.

I have a good set of copies - but quality from the company that bought
out Sheldon.
I have IIRC 10, 11, 12 machine booklets. I have to find them to see.

What are you looking for ? look on the plate on the front - is it a
L-56 or L-xxx an L machine ? V Belt ?

I found some of my soft versions - but hard paper is stored safe.

Keep me posted or this feed alive. email directly is ok.

Martin TX

Old December 22nd 16, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

I have to find which cabinet / desk I have my Sheldon documents.

The official group is :

We have John Knox, who is a member of the family that owned Sheldon, and
worked for a number of years in the factory. He has a huge trove of
documents that are incredibly helpful, such as cross references to all the
manufacturers of stock parts in the Sheldon lathes. He got me the part
numbers of some seals and bearings in mine that would have taken me a lot of
research to figure out.

Jon
Old February 26th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How do i join the group
Old February 26th 18, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
How do i join the group