Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HFT "Porta-Band" knock off

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 02:23:25 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:59:42 -0800, "Bob Noble"
wrote:

Yes, I've had this saw for a couple of years now and the blades are great.
Once you use one of these saws you'll wonder how you got along without one.
I'm able to do more milling type stuff using this saw, it cuts so fast.
Since the saw isn't that expensive, I think I would just replace it instead
of trying to find new parts. Parts don't seem to be wearing out yet though.
It's diffidently a tool that can help you be more creative in what you are
doing with metal and maybe some other materials also.

Bob..I do electrical and air piping. Would one of these saws be good to
keep on the truck to cut thin wall conduit and 1/2-3/4" black pipe, or
are pipe cutters better for that sort of thing?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

You would not believe how quickly these saws go thru black pipe. They
leave much less burr than an abrasive chopsaw and they don't throw
sparks or abrasive grit.

I would recommend Milwaukee bimetal blades, though. They're not that
pricey (3 for $20), cut really well and last a very long time.

A 24-pitch blade should work well for both black pipe and thinwall.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Don..pretty much what I was thinking. Abrasive cutters I
have..shrug..firing up one isnt an issue. The spray of sparks in most
machine shops however..is.