DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Images of large ship engine construction in japan. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/297351-re-images-large-ship-engine-construction-japan.html)

[email protected] February 1st 10 01:34 PM

Images of large ship engine construction in japan.

On Feb 1, 8:05*am, " wrote:
On Jan 31, 8:07*pm, "Royston Vasey" wrote:

Not sure where I stumbled across this - if it was here *& I'm reposting, my
apologies, but it does have lots of metal content.......

Images of large ship engine construction in japan.

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

I think it was here before but well worth reposting.
Karl

Sunday I spent in the company of a couple of seafaring men. One of
them had changed pistons moret than once while at sea on a Boxford
Marine Engine. About the same bore and stroke but not as many
cylinders. The Boxford was/is an opposed piston engine. Originally
designed to run on #2 diesel. The ones he worked on had been modified
to run on bunker fuel after starting on #2.
The bunker fuel gunked up the rings. They could cut out individual
cylinders, but of course lost power doing that.

Dan