Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finished "above the waist" cleanup

It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible
progress. At least I can use it now.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...he/03-Cleanup/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 6:44*pm, Ignoramus10246 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10246.invalid wrote:
It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible
progress. At least I can use it now.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...he/03-Cleanup/

Good job! But I think you need to use some of those rubber gloves from
Harbor Freight.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

10246.invalid wrote:
It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible
progress. At least I can use it now.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...he/03-Cleanup/

Good job! But I think you need to use some of those rubber gloves from
Harbor Freight.

I use Aveeno lotion with oats to treat my hands after this abuse
(repeated washing and inadvertent exposure to oven cleaner), which
works like magic. Gloves do not really make things better.

I use gloves for the really nasty stuff, like muriatic acid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10246 wrote:

It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible
progress. At least I can use it now.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...he/03-Cleanup/

Looks like a lot of elbow grease has been expended. Hope you have heat in your garage.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-31, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus10246 wrote:

It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible
progress. At least I can use it now.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...he/03-Cleanup/

Looks like a lot of elbow grease has been expended. Hope you have heat in your garage.

I normally do not heat my garage.

I have a homemade 10 kW heater that I use very occasionally, like when
it is very cold and I need to work for an hour in the garage.

I try to keep the garage closed, and it is attached to the house, so
condensation is not so bad. I try to use rust preventive oils where
possible.

Right now, the lathe has a lot of bare metal exposed that I do not
want to oil, plus I work in the garage on it a lot, so I just put a
room heater in it to prevent rust and to make it a little more
comfortable. Now it is at 40-45 degrees or so.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will make a final determination as to
whether this lathe is usable as it is (which seems to be the case) and
finish cleaning, so I could paint what is paintable and oil what is
not paintable, then I can turn the room heater off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-31, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus10246 wrote:

It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible
progress. At least I can use it now.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...he/03-Cleanup/

Looks like a lot of elbow grease has been expended. Hope you have heat in your garage.

I normally do not heat my garage.

I have a homemade 10 kW heater that I use very occasionally, like when
it is very cold and I need to work for an hour in the garage.

If you store an automobile in your garage, the heat can be rough on it. All that road
salt works a bit harder to rust it.

I try to keep the garage closed, and it is attached to the house, so
condensation is not so bad. I try to use rust preventive oils where
possible.

Keep an eye on it come spring when the thaw comes.

Right now, the lathe has a lot of bare metal exposed that I do not
want to oil, plus I work in the garage on it a lot, so I just put a
room heater in it to prevent rust and to make it a little more
comfortable. Now it is at 40-45 degrees or so.

I guess while you are doing the elbow grease thing that is warm enough.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will make a final determination as to
whether this lathe is usable as it is (which seems to be the case) and
finish cleaning, so I could paint what is paintable and oil what is
not paintable, then I can turn the room heater off.

So what are your plans as far as using it should you decide to keep it? Are you going to
machine in the cold during winter?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

10246.invalid wrote:
It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible
progress. At least I can use it now.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...he/03-Cleanup/

You had me worried that this post was regarding some "manscaping"
project...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-31, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus10246 wrote:

It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible
progress. At least I can use it now.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...he/03-Cleanup/

Looks like a lot of elbow grease has been expended. Hope you have heat in your garage.

I normally do not heat my garage.

I have a homemade 10 kW heater that I use very occasionally, like when
it is very cold and I need to work for an hour in the garage.

If you store an automobile in your garage, the heat can be rough on it. All that road
salt works a bit harder to rust it.

I now feel lucky because I do not store automobiles in my garage.

Right now, the lathe has a lot of bare metal exposed that I do not
want to oil, plus I work in the garage on it a lot, so I just put a
room heater in it to prevent rust and to make it a little more
comfortable. Now it is at 40-45 degrees or so.

I guess while you are doing the elbow grease thing that is warm enough.

Yes, it could be warmer, but it is OK

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will make a final determination as to
whether this lathe is usable as it is (which seems to be the case) and
finish cleaning, so I could paint what is paintable and oil what is
not paintable, then I can turn the room heater off.

So what are your plans as far as using it should you decide to keep
it? Are you going to machine in the cold during winter?

What other choices do I have, I think that I will machine in the cold
and hot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 31, 7:26*pm, Ignoramus14657 ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-01-31, Wes wrote:

On 2010-01-31, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus10246 wrote:

So what are your plans as far as using it should you decide to keep
it? *Are you going to machine in the cold during winter?

What other choices do I have, I think that I will machine in the cold
and hot.

I partitioned a portion of my garage so I could heat it for a
reasonable cost. Something to think about.

I''m using googlegroups tonight since forte/easynews is down.

Wes