DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water jet cutting (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/296719-re-water-jet-cutting.html)

Wes[_2_] January 23rd 10 11:40 AM

Water jet cutting

"Existential Angst" wrote:

When is non-abrasive cutting used? Often?
I would imagine it would be for thin and/or soft material.

Fiberglass headliners in automotive applications. Worked really good for that.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Wes[_2_] January 23rd 10 06:07 PM

Water jet cutting

Wes wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote:

When is non-abrasive cutting used? Often?
I would imagine it would be for thin and/or soft material.

Fiberglass headliners in automotive applications. Worked really good for that.

We tended to use 0.005" dia diamond nozzles at 41,000 psi. We had a S-RIM application
where we went to 0.008" and cranked the pressure up to 50,000 psi.

The only metal we cut were our waterjet fixtures ;) They tended to erode where there were
dwells to make sharp corners.