Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What primer to use for aluminum

A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I
want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to
aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would
generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 22, 10:27*am, Ignoramus6241
wrote:
A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I
want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to
aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would
generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

Check with an autobody supply. There are also conversion coatings
that leave an aluminum surface prepped for paint. Might not be
available in small quantities. Really, if it's not going to be
exposed to weather, any decent spray can stuff will stick well enough.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 22, 5:27*pm, Ignoramus6241
wrote:
A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I
want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to
aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would
generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

There are a lot of surface prep solutions to use before the primer.
FPL ( Forrest Product Labs ) etch is one of the good ones. Alodyne
is another. And then there is acid etch primer. But I think you can
get away without using any of those. But scrub the surface with
Scotchbrite minutes before priming. If you use a Scotchbrite like
product,then clean with acetone after the scrubbing. Products similar
to Scotchbrite are likely to leave a residue.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:27:05 -0600, Ignoramus6241
wrote:

A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I
want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to
aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would
generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

Use a two part self-etch primer containing phosphoric acid, the same as for
the bare steel. Get it from an autobody paint supplier if you can't find it
elsewhere.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6241" wrote in message
A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I
want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to
aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would
generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

Or you could leave it bare and let it oxidize. In a few hours to half a day
it will oxidize on the surface and form its own protective layer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6241" wrote in message
A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I
want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to
aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would
generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

Zinc Cromate is a long standing primer. Is available in spray cans. If Home
Depot, does not carry, most marine stores do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

on 1/22/2010, Ignoramus6241 supposed :
A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I
want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to
aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would
generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

NAPA Martin Senour primer in a spray can.
#7220 (Self etching)

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I
want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to
aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would
generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

Surface treatment is more important than primer selection. Find an
autobody supply store in your area, get some Ditzler DX-533 Alumiprep.
It's available in quarts. Follow the directions, treat the areas to
be painted. Just about any good primer will level nicely and adhere
well after this treatment.