DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Casting a vote for common sense (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/295858-re-casting-vote-common-sense.html)

Wes[_2_] January 10th 10 01:53 PM

Casting a vote for common sense

(Doug Miller) wrote:

No ****, look who got elected as President!

Which election of the last six are you talking about ?!

Nixon was pretty liberal for a Republican, he signed in law that created the EPA. I think
he did try to win the Vietnam war before figuring out it was hopeless. Gerald Ford was
not elected for those counting.

Reagan and GHWB were pretty good. Time will tell on his son. I'll even admit that
Clinton didn't screw things up too bad. Clinton should have stayed away from the assault
weapons ban, he really shot himself in the foot on that one. Carter remains a joke, sad
one since my evangelistic family voted for him.

Obama, well it is early in his term but I got a bad feeling Carter is going to move up in
the ratings. Since we are all in this together, I'm hoping Carter stays at the bottom and
Obama is receptive to OJT. Seems like all the Presidents have to learn the job the hard
way.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Ed Huntress January 10th 10 04:29 PM

"Wes" wrote in message
(Doug Miller) wrote:

No ****, look who got elected as President!

Which election of the last six are you talking about ?!

Nixon was pretty liberal for a Republican, he signed in law that created
the EPA.

Jeez. He was "liberal" because he thought it was time to put an end to
rivers that were running sewers, and air that glowed in the dark?

That's a very telling remark, Wes.

Now, when people ask me what the Delaware River was like when I was a kid,
when you needed to get a tetanus shot if you fell into it and the bottom was
a uniform gray color from the sewage silt, I'll have to tell them,
"Conservative." g

--
Ed Huntress

Wes[_2_] January 10th 10 04:56 PM

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Jeez. He was "liberal" because he thought it was time to put an end to
rivers that were running sewers, and air that glowed in the dark?

I bet he never envisioned the EPA forcing carbon regulation down Congress's throat.

I am always careful about asking government to deal with something because it will over
reach every time.

Ed Huntress January 10th 10 05:19 PM

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Jeez. He was "liberal" because he thought it was time to put an end to
rivers that were running sewers, and air that glowed in the dark?

I bet he never envisioned the EPA forcing carbon regulation down
Congress's throat.

It wasn't the EPA. It was the courts, which decided that CO2 fell into their
area of responsibility.

I am always careful about asking government to deal with something because
it will over
reach every time.

I won't ask for cites, because I have only one life to live. g Suffice to
say that most economists and many former financial people are saying that
the government has significantly UNDERreached on the subject of financial
industry regulation. And that's just this past year.

--
Ed Huntress

Wes[_2_] January 10th 10 05:36 PM

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I bet he never envisioned the EPA forcing carbon regulation down
Congress's throat.

It wasn't the EPA. It was the courts, which decided that CO2 fell into their
area of responsibility.

The Courts are not part of the government? The EPA, the courts and enviromental activists
are one unholy trinity.

Ed Huntress January 10th 10 06:15 PM

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I bet he never envisioned the EPA forcing carbon regulation down
Congress's throat.

It wasn't the EPA. It was the courts, which decided that CO2 fell into
their
area of responsibility.

The Courts are not part of the government? The EPA, the courts and
enviromental activists
are one unholy trinity.

That's not what you said. You said that the EPA (Executive) was forcing
carbon regulation down Congress's (Legislative) throat. I said it was the
courts (Judicial) that told the EPA they had to treat CO2 as a pollutant,
because the Congress that passed the laws wrote them in a way that required
it. I doubt if Congress today would touch it.

As for "unholy trinities," see "Hudson River, General Electric's PCB
Dumping," "California, Chromium-6 Releases," "Adirondack Lakes,
Acidification Of," "Lake Erie, Algae Smothering Of," "Los Angeles Basin,
Smog and Respiratory Illness and Mortality," and a few hundred others. The
unholy alliance was between businesses that polluted and (mostly) local
government. The EPA broke the back of those outrages.

--
Ed Huntress