Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Serious press fit

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:48:34 -0500, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Where
the heck were they in the 1980's?)

-- Bruce --

Shelburne Falls, MA, same as they are now, as you well know if you have
a Corvair. I'm not really missing the '65 turbo convertible body with
the 4-carb 140 motor swapped in I had for a few years. It was
interesting, but needed a great deal I didn't have time or money to give
it to be good. Especially in the salt-fest that is the northeastern US
in winter.

WRONG. Because that's where Larry and Marty and Doc were ordering
them from in bulk for their shops. I wasn't picky, whoever I was
closest to at the moment I picked up a spare for in the trunk - that
inevitably ended up pressed into service much sooner than expected.

And I suspect that Clarks, Cotrofeld and Corvair Underground were
all sourcing the same supplier, too. Because they ALL died till they
cycled through the old stock.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

oldjag wrote:

I had to replace the input flange on a German 10,000 rpm 500 hp AC
dynamometer. The flange mounted on the slightly tapered stator shaft,
about 65 mm in diameter. Same deal, pump up to 2000 bar and pull off
with a slight push. Replacing was the reverse, a small bolt in the
end of the shaft with a washer to bear on the flange, and crank up the
pressure. The flange just glides into place. Very neat, but one
small scratch in the near mirror finished shaft surface and I'd guess
your screwed. A lot nicer than some other dynos I've worked on with
shrink fit straight shafts with keys.

How do these couplings work? I've having problems visualizing.

Thanks,

Wes

I'm still curious. Can anyone explain how the coupling works?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:24:34 -0500, Wes wrote:

I'm still curious. Can anyone explain how the coupling works?

I came across this while looking for a different type of hydraulic
coupling...
http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...newlink=12_1_6

There are detailed mounting/demounting instructions in the downloads
at the bottom of the page.

--
Ned Simmons

FA - press that would be useful as a pen press or an embossing press Bill Noble[_2_] Woodturning 1 July 6th 09 03:59 AM
Brake press fab for shop press [email protected] Metalworking 4 January 21st 09 02:09 PM
Tap and Die Press eljainc Metalworking 6 November 2nd 07 03:38 AM
Portable drill press/guide vs. Real drill press? blueman Woodworking 9 September 8th 06 06:32 PM
FA: rotary punch press and manual punch press John Metalworking 1 January 2nd 06 09:54 AM