DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pinch valve nomenclature (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/295700-pinch-valve-nomenclature.html)

Richard J Kinch January 8th 10 06:58 PM

Pinch valve nomenclature

What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles
such as are used on basketballs? Someone is advocating using this
principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other quick-connect
fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

Denis G. January 9th 10 12:08 AM

Pinch valve nomenclature

On Jan 8, 12:58*pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles
such as are used on basketballs? *Someone is advocating using this
principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other quick-connect
fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

It's mentioned in several patents, but I don't see an accepted
technical name:
http://www.google.com/patents?q=bask...eedle+inflator
Maybe it's in some specification for manufacturing them.
"Basketball-type needle inflator valve" would be the best description
I could give, but maybe someone else can do better.

William Wixon January 9th 10 01:24 AM

Pinch valve nomenclature

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles
such as are used on basketballs? Someone is advocating using this
principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other quick-connect
fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

hey, sorry for intruding on your thread. i don't know. but your question
gave me enough info to look up "pinch valve". i saw a "check valve" on a
storm drain down by a river near me, i'd never seen one of 'em before, i had
to go down there and check it out, an impressive hunk of rubber. it stands
about 5 feet tall. clever.

http://www.evrproducts.com/?content=...Valves/CPO.htm

William Wixon January 9th 10 01:31 AM

Pinch valve nomenclature

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles
such as are used on basketballs? Someone is advocating using this
principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other quick-connect
fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

oh, i just remembered, i saw (tiny) one of them on a weed wacker gas cap.
was a vent valve, at that time i thought that was pretty clever too. i
wonder if like a parts diagram for a weed wacker gas tank might have a name
for it.

Pete Keillor January 9th 10 02:08 AM

Pinch valve nomenclature

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 19:24:20 -0600, "William Wixon"
wrote:

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles
such as are used on basketballs? Someone is advocating using this
principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other quick-connect
fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

hey, sorry for intruding on your thread. i don't know. but your question
gave me enough info to look up "pinch valve". i saw a "check valve" on a
storm drain down by a river near me, i'd never seen one of 'em before, i had
to go down there and check it out, an impressive hunk of rubber. it stands
about 5 feet tall. clever.

http://www.evrproducts.com/?content=...Valves/CPO.htm

The pinch valves we used routinely for slurries, etc. were Red Valves.
Used an analog air signal to progressively close. These were
invaluable in slurry or sludge service. Also called sphincter valve
and you can guess the other names. Here's a link:

http://www.redvalve.com/rv/index.php

Pete Keillor

Roger Shoaf January 9th 10 04:02 AM

Pinch valve nomenclature

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles
such as are used on basketballs? Someone is advocating using this
principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other quick-connect
fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

I think I would call it a PITA to clean.

--
Roger Shoaf

Richard J Kinch January 9th 10 08:02 AM

Pinch valve nomenclature

Roger Shoaf writes:

I think I would call it a PITA to clean.

Agreed, that was my criticism.

[email protected] January 9th 10 03:44 PM

Pinch valve nomenclature

On Jan 8, 8:02*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"Richard J Kinch" wrote in . 97.131...

What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles
such as are used on basketballs? *Someone is advocating using this
principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other quick-connect
fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

I think I would call it a PITA to clean.

Careful! That is the name of our cat!

Paul

Grumpy January 10th 10 10:48 AM

Pinch valve nomenclature

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
What's the proper technical name for the rubber pinch valves and needles
such as are used on basketballs? Someone is advocating using this
principle for carbonator caps, instead of ball-lock or other
quick-connect
fittings, and I'm not sure what to call it.

hey, sorry for intruding on your thread. i don't know. but your question
gave me enough info to look up "pinch valve". i saw a "check valve" on a
storm drain down by a river near me, i'd never seen one of 'em before, i
had
to go down there and check it out, an impressive hunk of rubber. it
stands
about 5 feet tall. clever.

http://www.evrproducts.com/?content=...Valves/CPO.htm

Those rubber valves are often used in the food industry as non-return
valveson piston pumps for depositors.They are easily cleaned and seldom
cause any problem. When they do, you just throw them away and put in another
one. We called them "Duck's bill "valves from their shape.

Grumpy January 10th 10 10:52 AM

Pinch valve nomenclature

wrote:

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
1...
[...]

We used a lot of those in breweries,as they are easily cleaned-in-place.
Often called a bull,s arse valve.