DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Blind Car Drivers? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/294783-re-blind-car-drivers.html)

DT December 23rd 09 02:38 PM

Blind Car Drivers?

In article ,
says...
On 11/7/2009 1:53 PM, Winston wrote:
BottleBob wrote:

(...)

Some Calif. drivers seem to be in that condition already. g

'Way too many, Bob. I had this fantasy of handing out white canes
at stop lights.

Then I realized that many don't even see the stop lights.

I grew up in Cleveland, OH. up there, stop signs with white borders are
optional.

Actually they are not optional (at least any more), they are the
standard. The American Association of State Highway Officials specifies a
30" wide. red stop sign with 3/4" white border. Most states, including
Ohio, have adopted these standards.

--
Dennis

DoN. Nichols December 26th 09 02:43 AM

Blind Car Drivers?

On 2009-12-23, DT wrote:
In article ,
says...

[ ... ]

I grew up in Cleveland, OH. up there, stop signs with white borders are
optional.

Actually they are not optional (at least any more), they are the
standard. The American Association of State Highway Officials specifies a
30" wide. red stop sign with 3/4" white border. Most states, including
Ohio, have adopted these standards.

FWIW -- I have some color slides (Kodachrome) taken about 1962/1963 in
Cambridge Mass, which show stop signs of traditional shape and
pattern (e.g. octagonal, with the edge stripe), but the main
field is yellow, not red, and the letters and border stripe are
red.

I don't know whether this was true for all of Cambridge at this
time, or only the MIT campus and surrounds, which is where the
shots were taken.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Ned Simmons December 27th 09 04:56 PM

Blind Car Drivers?

On 26 Dec 2009 02:43:40 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2009-12-23, DT wrote:
In article ,
says...

[ ... ]

I grew up in Cleveland, OH. up there, stop signs with white borders are
optional.

Actually they are not optional (at least any more), they are the
standard. The American Association of State Highway Officials specifies a
30" wide. red stop sign with 3/4" white border. Most states, including
Ohio, have adopted these standards.

FWIW -- I have some color slides (Kodachrome) taken about 1962/1963 in
Cambridge Mass, which show stop signs of traditional shape and
pattern (e.g. octagonal, with the edge stripe), but the main
field is yellow, not red, and the letters and border stripe are
red.

I don't know whether this was true for all of Cambridge at this
time, or only the MIT campus and surrounds, which is where the
shots were taken.

I have a vague recollection of the stop signs changing when I was kid
in eastern MA. I was 10 in 1962, so I wouldn't be surprised if there
were still some stragglers at that time. Or, you've just implanted me
with a false memory g.

Here we go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_sign#History

--