Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe purchase advice sought

I need a lathe with a little larger capacity than the Sherline that I've been
using for a while, but don't have very much of a budget for buying a
replacement. Several months' worth of patient scanning of local advertising
has not panned out, so it's looking like I'll need to buy new. I'm considering
the following, any of which would be large enough for my needs for the
forseeable futu

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=22082712
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...al-Lathe/G8688
http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-7X...ATHE,8176.html

Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should*
be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully
appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of
homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 03:39:20 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

I need a lathe with a little larger capacity than the Sherline that I've been
using for a while, but don't have very much of a budget for buying a
replacement. Several months' worth of patient scanning of local advertising
has not panned out, so it's looking like I'll need to buy new. I'm considering
the following, any of which would be large enough for my needs for the
forseeable futu

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=22082712
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...al-Lathe/G8688
http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-7X...ATHE,8176.html

Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should*
be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully
appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of
homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...

Indianapolis is a bit far away for my Myford.
For the right price I could be convinced to part with it - would make
my wife happy - but not me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:
I need a lathe with a little larger capacity than the Sherline that I've been
using for a while, but don't have very much of a budget for buying a
replacement. Several months' worth of patient scanning of local advertising
has not panned out, so it's looking like I'll need to buy new. I'm considering
the following, any of which would be large enough for my needs for the
forseeable futu

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=22082712
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...al-Lathe/G8688
http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-7X...ATHE,8176.html

Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should*
be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully
appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of
homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...

You realize, of course, that these are all the same lathe with some
having a 14" between centers instead of 12".

For about the same price, you may be able to find a used Atlas 618.

I apologize for not including a political rant.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I apologize for not including a political rant.

You are excused but only THIS time!!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "David R.Birch" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Well, that's part of what I wanted advice on. Yes, they're superficially the
same, but even if they're made in the same factory in China, what about the
quality control standards? The Harbor Freight lathe is significantly less
expensive than the other three -- is this because HF markets the equipment
that failed QC inspection for Grizzly, MicroMark, or MSC? If all four are
truly the same lathe (except for the distance between centers), which company
has the highest QC standards?

For about the same price, you may be able to find a used Atlas 618.

Haven't seen anything locally so far... *Lots* of used wood lathes available,
and a few metal lathes that are *much* larger than I need (or have room for,
either in my shop or in my budget), but nothing that fits both size and budget
requirements.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 11:58*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
...a few metal lathes that are *much* larger than I need (or have room for,
either in my shop or in my budget), but nothing that fits both size and budget
requirements.-

Don't know your requirements, mine are making drive train components
up to ~5HP on the large side and 0-80 instrument screws on the small
one. A 10" diameter x 24" length capacity lathe with 5C collets has
done everything well enough that I passed on a Monarch 10EE for $2000
(it needed work.....). A 9" lathe would have done almost all of it,
except for holding 1" collets.

The 10" South Bend is every bit as precise as a Sherline for tiny
parts, and still easy to use, though it doesn't spin as fast. The few
15" lathes I've used were awkward on tiny stuff, the smaller ones
inadequate to turn stainless steel. To me 9" - 10" is the sweet spot
for amateur and prototype use.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
[...]

I have one you can have for FREE! Just come and get it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 00:25:38 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

[...]

And we have another RCM Sucess story!!!!

ah...er...how big is it? Does he have to install another service?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
[...]

16" swing? 40" BC? 3-phase, 1,500 lbs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 00:25:38 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

[...]

Ooh, ooh, me want! (It's all I have room for.)

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Since your in Indianapolis try wholesale tools they have a outlet warehouse
here. There is also a harbor freight across from Gander mountain on 86 St..
either will save you shipping

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...the_WT_Import_

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Robert" wrote:

Since your in Indianapolis try wholesale tools they have a outlet warehouse
here.

I'll check that out, thanks.

There is also a harbor freight across from Gander mountain on 86 St..
either will save you shipping

None of the three HF stores in the area stock any metal lathes or milling
machines any more. They all used to, but the only metalworking equipment any
of them have in stock now are shears, brakes, and other sheet metal forming
tools.

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Mini_Table_Lat
he_WT_Import_

Hmmm... Looks like pretty much the same lathe as the other four, doesn't it?
*Are* they really the same, though?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 1:41*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

Hmmm... Looks like pretty much the same lathe as the other four, doesn't it?
*Are* they really the same, though?

When you look at specs trying to determine if they are the same, pay
attention to the weight.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need a lathe with a little larger capacity than the Sherline that I've been
using for a while, but don't have very much of a budget for buying a
replacement. Several months' worth of patient scanning of local advertising
has not panned out, so it's looking like I'll need to buy new. I'm considering
the following, any of which would be large enough for my needs for the
forseeable futu

First of all..where are you, and what size lathe are you needing?
How much are you willing to pay for a good used lathe.

Indiana..and you cant find a decent used lathe????

Blink blink...blink....

You cant live with a 6" Logan or Southbend or even a 6" Atlas?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=22082712
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...al-Lathe/G8688
http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-7X...ATHE,8176.html

Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should*
be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully
appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of
homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 03:39:20 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

I need a lathe with a little larger capacity than the Sherline that I've been
using for a while, but don't have very much of a budget for buying a
replacement. Several months' worth of patient scanning of local advertising
has not panned out, so it's looking like I'll need to buy new. I'm considering
the following, any of which would be large enough for my needs for the
forseeable futu

First of all..where are you,

Indianapolis

and what size lathe are you needing?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6x10 -- not critical, but I do need more
swing than I have with the Sherline.

How much are you willing to pay for a good used lathe.

About the same as what I'm willing [read: able] to pay for a decent new one:
around $600.

Indiana..and you cant find a decent used lathe????

Didn't say that. Can't find a decent used lathe that (a) I can afford, (b)
fits in the space I have available, and (c) runs on single-phase power.

Blink blink...blink....

You cant live with a 6" Logan or Southbend or even a 6" Atlas?

Sure I could. You know anybody in the area that's selling one?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=22082712
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...al-Lathe/G8688
http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-7X...ATHE,8176.html

Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should*
be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully
appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of
homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
(Doug Miller) fired this volley in
:

Didn't say that. Can't find a decent used lathe that (a) I can afford,
(b) fits in the space I have available, and (c) runs on single-phase
power.

There are lots of nifty new-tech VFDs out there for cheap. I just bought
two 3HP units new for under $200 each. 1/2HP VFDs are running around
$90.

It's an "extra", sure, but it opens up your options. 3-phase equipment
on the home-shop market usually goes for less money than single-phase of
the same capability, because folks don't understand it, figuring they'll
have to buy/build an RPC or get 3-phase service.

I thought about going that route, but there's still the "fits in the space
available" issue. Keeping it in an unheated garage isn't really an option in
central Indiana, so that means it has to go in the basement (which *is*
heated and air-conditioned, and has dehumidifiers running year-round).

And most 3PH equipment that I've seen is large enough to be, ummmmm,
impractical for carrying down the basement stairs. I had a tough enough time
moving a 240V 1PH Rockwell wood lathe into the basement...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug, they are all three products of Sieg, but the Micromark is the
class of the field. It's worth the extra money.
The dials are true inch dials.
It has the long bed.
I think their QC is a little better.
it has the speed indicator

(gloat warning)
I just bought one of these from an estate sale.
Barely used (test only) for brass.
DRO brand new, uninstalled.
ALL available accessories.
All upgrades I know of -all the gears are steel.
Custom Ball-bearing leadscrew blocks
New cranks, oversize, anodized.
Nicest minilathe I've ever seen.
Gave $400 for all.

Doug Miller wrote:
I need a lathe with a little larger capacity than the Sherline that I've been
using for a while, but don't have very much of a budget for buying a
replacement. Several months' worth of patient scanning of local advertising
has not panned out, so it's looking like I'll need to buy new. I'm considering
the following, any of which would be large enough for my needs for the
forseeable futu

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=22082712
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...al-Lathe/G8688
http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-7X...ATHE,8176.html

Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should*
be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully
appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of
homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , RBnDFW wrote:
Doug, they are all three products of Sieg, but the Micromark is the
class of the field. It's worth the extra money.
The dials are true inch dials.

You mean 0.050" per revolution, instead of 1.25mm = 0.0492"?

It has the long bed.
I think their QC is a little better.
it has the speed indicator

Thanks for the info. Can the tailstock be offset for taper cutting?

(gloat warning)
I just bought one of these from an estate sale.
Barely used (test only) for brass.
DRO brand new, uninstalled.
ALL available accessories.
All upgrades I know of -all the gears are steel.
Custom Ball-bearing leadscrew blocks
New cranks, oversize, anodized.
Nicest minilathe I've ever seen.
Gave $400 for all.

You suck. :-)

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , RBnDFW wrote:
Doug, they are all three products of Sieg, but the Micromark is the
class of the field. It's worth the extra money.
The dials are true inch dials.

You mean 0.050" per revolution, instead of 1.25mm = 0.0492"?

Correct.
they also sell the kit to convert the other makes

Thanks for the info. Can the tailstock be offset for taper cutting?

Yes. it's also a camlock tailstock (may be an upgrade)

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

that reminds me, a friend has one of the small Atlas mini-metal lathes -
that would be under the $400 you got your cool deal for - it's the smallest
of the atlas lathes - it's not all that rigid compared to a clausing or
something, but you can lift it onto the bench and store it in the closet
(that's what I did when I had one) - if interested, contact me off the list

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Bill Noble" wrote:
that reminds me, a friend has one of the small Atlas mini-metal lathes -
that would be under the $400 you got your cool deal for - it's the smallest
of the atlas lathes - it's not all that rigid compared to a clausing or
something, but you can lift it onto the bench and store it in the closet
(that's what I did when I had one) - if interested, contact me off the list

Ummm... email to lid isn't going to work...

Yes, I'm interested -- how about you contact me at /doug/at/milmac/dot/com/.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

message sent -

if anyone wants to find me, my email is displayed on my web page,
www.wbnoble.com

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Noble"
wrote:
that reminds me, a friend has one of the small Atlas mini-metal lathes -
that would be under the $400 you got your cool deal for - it's the
smallest
of the atlas lathes - it's not all that rigid compared to a clausing or
something, but you can lift it onto the bench and store it in the closet
(that's what I did when I had one) - if interested, contact me off the
list

Ummm... email to lid isn't going to work...

Yes, I'm interested -- how about you contact me at /doug/at/xxxx.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:09:29 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

that reminds me, a friend has one of the small Atlas mini-metal lathes -
that would be under the $400 you got your cool deal for - it's the smallest
of the atlas lathes - it's not all that rigid compared to a clausing or
something, but you can lift it onto the bench and store it in the closet
(that's what I did when I had one) - if interested, contact me off the list

Talk to him!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas6inch/

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If it's an Atlas 618, with Timken bearing headstock, it's worth having.
If it's the smaller AA lathe labeled Craftsman, they are interesting
toys, and a big step down from the Sherline.

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 4, 11:19*am, RBnDFW wrote:
If it's the smaller AA lathe labeled Craftsman, they are interesting
toys, and a big step down from the Sherline.

Second that, though they are OK for aluminum and spin fast enough for
polishing and drilling small deep holes. The spindle is 1/2"-20
weakened by a Morse 0 taper hole, and not really stiff enough to
support chucked work without the tailstock.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW fired this volley in news:hfbcpv$8ud$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

If it's an Atlas 618, with Timken bearing headstock, it's worth having.
If it's the smaller AA lathe labeled Craftsman, they are interesting
toys, and a big step down from the Sherline.

I have a (true) Atlas 618 with Timken bearing headstock, but wearing the
Craftsman badge. I bought it new the year (1971) before they *******ized
the machine with sleeve bearings, then soon ceased carrying the Atlas
goods at all, infavor of some blocky off-shore stuff.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Look thru the RCM archives for more info regarding the mini-lathes (also
mini-mills). Another resource is
http://www.mini-lathe.com/

There are considerable differences in the number of accessories that are
included with some models.. faceplate, tailstock chuck, steady/traveling
center rests for long workpieces etc.

Almost all models have plastic change-gear sets, and plastic gears in the
headstock, too. One or 2 more expensive models have "metal" gears, possibly
steel or cast iron, but maybe just potmetal gears (the sellers don't seem to
specify which metal).

You will likely want to get many other accessories/tooling items, regardless
of which model you choose.

The headstock spindles have an MT3 taper (same as 9x20" models), which can
be adapted to 3C for collets that are a feed-thru type (secured with a
drawtube instead of drawbar).

The minis are lightweight and compact, which are definitely desirable
features to many users.

--
WB
metalworking projects

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote :
I need a lathe with a little larger capacity than the Sherline that I've been
using for a while, but don't have very much of a budget for buying a
replacement. Several months' worth of patient scanning of local advertising
has not panned out, so it's looking like I'll need to buy new. I'm
considering the following, any of which would be large enough for my needs
for the forseeable futu

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=22082712
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...al-Lathe/G8688
http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-7X...ATHE,8176.html

Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should*
be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully
appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of
homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...

http://www.lathemaster.com
They have a 8x14 and 9x30. Might be a little more pricey than you were
looking for, but would give a bit more capacity w/o taking up too much
more space.

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne wrote:
Doug Miller wrote :
[...]

It is my understanding that the 8x14 is a very nice step up from the
minilathe, for not much more money and a slightly larger footprint.
You would give up some support and accessories.
No lathe in the universe is better supported than the 7X minilathe.

I'd pass on the 9X Chinese lathes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 10:16*pm, RBnDFW wrote:

It is my understanding that the 8x14 is a very nice step up from the
minilathe, for not much more money and a slightly larger footprint.
You would give up some support and accessories.
No lathe in the universe is better supported than the 7X minilathe.

I'd pass on the 9X Chinese lathes.

I noted that the Harbor Freight 8 by 14 weighs 250 lbs. Their 7 by 14
weighs 90 lbs. I have not used either one.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Machine weights listed on web pages seem to vary widely. Lathemaster
*states* the 8x weighs 190 lbs (not just listed as a weight).

The 9x20 model probably weighs about the same, although the listed weight
may be 250 lbs.

I believe most weights are shipping weight, which is usually clearly marked
on crates for international transport.
The shipping weight would then include the accessories, and the crating,
gross weight, not the actual machine weight that needs to be lifted onto the
workbench/table by the user after unpacking.

--

wrote in message
On Dec 3, 10:16 pm, RBnDFW wrote:

It is my understanding that the 8x14 is a very nice step up from the
minilathe, for not much more money and a slightly larger footprint.
You would give up some support and accessories.
No lathe in the universe is better supported than the 7X minilathe.

I'd pass on the 9X Chinese lathes.

I noted that the Harbor Freight 8 by 14 weighs 250 lbs. Their 7 by 14
weighs 90 lbs. I have not used either one.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...emnumber=93212

Any of these that I should *not* be considering? Any others that I *should*
be? Things to be aware of with any of the above? All advice is gratefully
appreciated. *Good* advice will be further appreciated with a cold bottle of
homebrewed porter (if you can come to Indianapolis to get it). TIA...

These are all variations on the same lathe. I have the HF 7x, was on
sale and I had a 50% coupon, so ran me in the neighborhood of $200.
It's had some additions made and a stretch bed kit added to it from
www.littlemachineshop.com. These guys have all parts for the thing,
usually on the shelf, although they run short of some things
sometimes. Check out the accessories. A metric conversion kit is
available, leadscrew, half-nuts and indicator included. Beats trying
to make-do with wacky change-gear clusters. The 7xs have a healthy
spindle, takes a #3 Morse taper, the tailstock is #2. IIRC, the 6"
Atlas uses something like a #1 or #0 taper, spindle is really skinny.
Change gears for the 6" are zinc and they tend to crumble with age.

Downsides:
Some of the early ones would pop the motor control MOSFETs, easy to
fix, parts readily available. Chips would filter into the motor
control box, shielding was needed. You kind of shoot craps with
these, one will be great, another will need a lot of work. If you buy
from the HF stores, they will take them back for exchange. The motor
control on mine produces so much EMI that the UPS was complaining on
the computer. Had to put a filter on the lathe.

I've been satisfied with mine, it's about the largest lathe you can
pick up and sling back on a shelf, if that matters. I run mine on top
of a Workmate, can actually be run off a car battery with an
inverter. Back-country machining, anyone? There's a relatively new
book out on just the 7x mini-lathes, British, Amazon has it.

Stan