Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Thu, 3 Dec 2009
08:46:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Church on Thursday Dec 03?

Dec 02, Wednesday. Evening prayer service.

tschus
pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default dark halls at work

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:52:55 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:18:24 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cool. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One
think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and
lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light
kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

Thats why they all..all have valves on them that allow you to turn the
light from BRIGHT all the way down to DIM..which also saves fuel.

Difficult for me to do from a quarter mile away, in someone else's
camp. I use low level lighting myself. I did know a guy who made
shades for Aladdin lamps. Basically a lightweight wooden frame
covered in parchment. Lights up your camp, but doesn't blind the
neighbors.

My other grip along that line are security lights. "In town" it's
not a big problem, but hauling down a country road and come round a
corner, and you swear there's oncoming traffic .. but its a security
light lighting up the night. Arrgh! Some kid's people!

Like the time my supervising engineer wanted to put a high output
airport approach strobe beacon in the median of a four lane freeway.
Can you imagine this thing being remotely activated on a foggy night?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That does look like a good choice, a lot of light for the
buck.

My constant pocket carry is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-P2D-Leve.../dp/B001GAOOH8

$52 for a flashlight might seem like a lot, but mine owes me
nothing.
I've had it in my pocket constantly for at least 3 years.

CY: Glad you got your use out of it.

I like it because it's so small and because it has several
levels of
brightness/battery life.

CY: The several levels must be useful.

Min brightness is still quite sufficient for
most tasks like walking in the dark, reading a map, looking
for a
small part dropped on the shop floor, or seeing the
graduations to set
the compound angle on my lathe.

CY: I can imagine that being good, for close up.

Max brightness is sufficient for
reading housenumbers from the street, finding the dock at
night, or
seeing what made that loud noise. I use it several times
every day.

CY: Havn't kept track, but I'm sure I use my mini mag a
couple times a day.

A battery typically lasts a couple of months. Brightness at
any level
is constant throughout the life of the battery. I buy
CR123
batteries by the dozen so they're not significantly more
expensive
than a pair of AA's -- and at 6 or so per year it's not an
issue.

CY: Sounds like you get your value out of the slight extra
cost.

I would find the length of a 2AA light to be onerous to
carry
routinely.

CY: Doesn't bother me, actually. But people have different
needs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Emergency lighting was dark halls at work

That does sound miserable. Wish things could have been
better for you. Have you got some good storage food and
water at home, now?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
news

There were no open stores in a county with a population
of over
300,000 people. Ice & bottled water was being trucked in,
along with
some MREs. Most of the time the stations gave the wrong
time or
locations for the trucks. I did get some ice and bottled
water, but I
lived on peanut butter & crackers, Spam, and cold canned
vegetables for
three weeks. It played hell with my blood sugar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Security lighting was dark halls at work

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:05:45 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:10:26 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

My other grip along that line are security lights. "In town" it's
not a big problem, but hauling down a country road and come round a
corner, and you swear there's oncoming traffic .. but its a security
light lighting up the night. Arrgh! Some kid's people!

Poor aiming of those security lights should be at minimum..a misdemeanor
when they are aimed into traffic zones.

Mine all point inwards from the edges of the property. Which reminds
me..I noticed earlier that I have a dead one. Ill have to pull one out
of stock and replace it this weekend. 3rd one in that location in 5
yrs. Shrug...

Ill have to put up one of the GOOD ones..cringe..they were expensive
when I bought them for security use.

A question I have on Security lighting. I know there is a school
of thought that wants the lights pointing "out" so as to illumine what
is coming, while blinding those oncomers. In a 'tactical'
environment' that makes sense, all though it is rude to the neighbors
the rest of the time..

Indeed. And I have those, but they are not hooked to the IR sensor
lamps. Those are strictly normal lighting..now florescent that
illuminates the grounds and entries. Ive got 200 watt quartz Floods
mounted on the eves and other locations ..pointed out. that do a very
very good job of supplying tactical lighting.

And of course, aiming the lights in, reverses the situation, you
can be seen but they can't.

Most of my normal security lighting is across wide spaces, rather than
aimed at the house..or the street. And as I generally use floresent
bulbs, the lighting isnt High Noon on the Equator.

So, it would seem to me, that you'd want a "normal" perimeter
lighting, marking the bounds and the areas to be watched, that doesn't
"splash" over into oncoming traffic, the neighbors, or washing out
stars from the back scatter. And then a secondary "tactical" set
which illumines and fills in the 'dark spots', dazzling the intruders.
Not to mention multiplying 'targets'.

Good thinking. Echos my setup.

(Hmmm, how hard would it be to
rig up a light to appear to be a rifle mounted tactical flash light,
or a targeting laser, on a remote - coming out of 'left field'?)

The problem..is appearance of movement. Thats much harder to do and can
be complicated. If your laser simply points to one location and never
quivers...pretty soon the viewer understands the issue.

Hmmm, laser pointers .... little red dots everywhere. Have to
watch out for feline banzai charges.

pyotr

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-03, pyotr filipivich wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One
think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and
lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light
kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

Do you remember the old photographic flash bulbs? They may not
reach the same peak brightness as an electronic flash, but they burn a
lot longer, so the effect on your night vision is a lot greater (along
with the blue blobs floating where the bulb was in your field of vue
when it went off. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Coleman stove that I made a multi-fuel.

I normally burn propane in it with my optional addition.
I have the 'white' gas or Coleman fuel (white gas) tank as well.
Common non-lead is white gas. The additives is what I try to
avoid by using store cans and propane.

Martin

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:48:21 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:20:54 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:39:35 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 19:43:32 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:54:22 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
Smart man! I wish more of these folks had that much of a grip.
Without power, I couldn't cook (electric stove), so why get the
eggs and milk out?
Stuck to granola and jougurht. SOP for years now.
you ...you...you dont have a Coleman stove or equivelant????
Oh, well, I had one of those. If I had really wanted to cook, I
could have. But mostly, I just fired up the propane barby, and either
did burgers, or chicken, or lambchops. (I still had some corn on the
cob in the freezer, wrap in tin foil with some salt & pepper, butter,
next to the chops ... yum. I think the last two cobs are probably
squirrel food after five years in the freezer.) For supper, that was
standard. Breakfast is usually granola, unless it is a weekend,when I
make Brunch.
Blink blink...blink....Really?

Even when one can pick one up a the second hand stores for $9 in perfect
running condition?????
I think there's two in the shed ... one is in The Kitchen Box, and
the other is 'somewhere' in a bin.
Thats really good planning. And the last time they were fired up to
check the generator and the pumps was when?

Chuckle....and how much fuel do you have? Shelf life of Coleman fuel
(and its clones) is in generations...it simply doesnt go bad. Ive got a
half gallon can that is at least..at least....30 yrs old. Still works
fine.

A gallon of fuel at Wally world is bout $5-8 dollars and will run a
stove for at least a month, cooking 2 times a day.

Up till last summer, those stoves were in storage, with most
everything else. And for most of the years before then, I lived in the
city. The one is propane, and I've the adaptors for the bulk tanks.
I need to find the other one and check it out.
My big "score" was two (more) Son Of Hibachis. Their claim to
fame is the ease with which they can get the charcoal going. I've
even gotten charcoal that had been out in the garage over the winter
(and was thus a bit damp) to light off. And they work real well as
braziers for heating a space.

But I need to get on the preparations.

Indeed. And bear in mind..that hibachis are the MOST CO malignant
devices ever developed by man, including the Edsel.

They put out a deadly deadly cloud of the stuff..so ALWAYS cook outdoors
with them. Even in the snow.

Shrug

As for propane vrs liquid fuel stoves and lanterns...a propane device is
limited to whatever you have in the tank.

A liquid fuel device is limited to whatever you can syphon out of a gas
tank after your proper liquid fuel is gone.

Something to consider...shrug

Gunner

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:45:45 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

(Hmmm, how hard would it be to
rig up a light to appear to be a rifle mounted tactical flash light,
or a targeting laser, on a remote - coming out of 'left field'?)

The problem..is appearance of movement. Thats much harder to do and can
be complicated. If your laser simply points to one location and never
quivers...pretty soon the viewer understands the issue.

The laser pointers are the easy part. It's getting the quiver and
the random sweeps which is the tricky part. ... Hmmm.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...tic-sentry-gun

I saw one earlier using a paint ball gun...

Hmmm, laser pointers .... little red dots everywhere. Have to
watch out for feline banzai charges.

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:34:05 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I have a Coleman stove that I made a multi-fuel.

I normally burn propane in it with my optional addition.
I have the 'white' gas or Coleman fuel (white gas) tank as well.
Common non-lead is white gas. The additives is what I try to
avoid by using store cans and propane.

Martin

Indeed. Coleman fuel is 100% pure Naptha, which has just about zero
impurities in it. Unleaded will work..but over time, will crud up the
guts of the devices "generator". Generators are from $7-18 each..so one
should always try to use Coleman fuel..or its generics. However..in a
worst case scenario..Unleaded gasoline will work for a decent amount of
time, particularly if its used over a period of weeks, daily. The
various crap in Unleaded tends to become varnish if allowed to dry out
in the generators. I get good life out of them, by running unleaded a
couple tankfuls..then immediately fill up with the proper fuel, and run
it for 10 minutes..or as long as necessary, and after that tank is
expended, refilling with unleaded. If Im going to put the device away
into storage...it gets dumped, refilled with Coleman fuel (or its
generic) and run for 10 minutes then put away. Ive got devices that
have had many many gallons of unleaded run through them, but have the
original generator still functioning in this fashion.

Propane stoves can..can be run on natural gas if there is a source..but
the flame will be odd and at times very hot. So dont run em for long
periods of time if bootlegged into a natural gas source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleman_fuel

Btw..as I live in the oil fields.."drip gas" is available if you know
where the drains are...G and will work satisfactorily if necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drip_gas

Gunner

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-03, pyotr filipivich wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One
think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and
lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light
kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

Do you remember the old photographic flash bulbs? They may not
reach the same peak brightness as an electronic flash, but they burn a
lot longer, so the effect on your night vision is a lot greater (along
with the blue blobs floating where the bulb was in your field of vue
when it went off. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

And when gently cracked and then placed in or above above a container of
a flammable substance..make very nice and very positive ignitors.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-03, pyotr filipivich wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One
think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and
lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light
kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

Do you remember the old photographic flash bulbs? They may not
reach the same peak brightness as an electronic flash, but they burn a
lot longer, so the effect on your night vision is a lot greater (along
with the blue blobs floating where the bulb was in your field of vue
when it went off. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I found the strobe effective for getting attention of teenaged
dragsters and lawn wreckers when I lived on a corner lot. Lots of
great candid photos, too. You talk about the stoopid look, I got 'em.

One kid slammed on the brakes and stopped, glaring at me, at which
point I'd worked the film advance and popped him again. He finally
figured it out, and burned it out of there, never to return.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 4 Dec 2009 03:30:55 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Do you remember the old photographic flash bulbs? They may not
reach the same peak brightness as an electronic flash, but they burn a
lot longer, so the effect on your night vision is a lot greater (along
with the blue blobs floating where the bulb was in your field of vue
when it went off. :-)

And when gently cracked and then placed in or above above a container of
a flammable substance..make very nice and very positive ignitors.

Hmm ... *that* I didn't know.

But did you know that if you placed one or more flashbulbs in
contact with the one which you are about to fire, those will go off at
the same time (or at least close enough so you could not tell the
difference without a scope and a photovoltaic sensor. :-)

And -- if you got them close enough to radar (e.g. at an
airport) they were likely to go off as the radar beam scanned past? A
good thing to wrap your spares in aluminum foil if you were going to be
closer to the radar antenna than the typical passenger.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The stove I have in the shop to heat chemicals for plating or
green rusting :-) is over 55 years old. I think more like 60 or thereabouts.
I remember Dad replacing the leather in the pump once.
Since I took it into my hands, it had run on propane except for the first year
or two. I suspect I'll have to oil the leather flapper and hope for it to work
or replace it once again.
That reminds me, I'll have to find some Coleman fuel to have in the shop.

Martin

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 4 Dec 2009 03:30:55 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Do you remember the old photographic flash bulbs? They may not
reach the same peak brightness as an electronic flash, but they burn a
lot longer, so the effect on your night vision is a lot greater (along
with the blue blobs floating where the bulb was in your field of vue
when it went off. :-)

And when gently cracked and then placed in or above above a container of
a flammable substance..make very nice and very positive ignitors.

Hmm ... *that* I didn't know.

Might come in handy in the near future...shrug.

But did you know that if you placed one or more flashbulbs in
contact with the one which you are about to fire, those will go off at
the same time (or at least close enough so you could not tell the
difference without a scope and a photovoltaic sensor. :-)

Really? What sets the sympathics off? Its mearly a magnesium ally isnt
it?

And -- if you got them close enough to radar (e.g. at an
airport) they were likely to go off as the radar beam scanned past? A
good thing to wrap your spares in aluminum foil if you were going to be
closer to the radar antenna than the typical passenger.

That I was aware of G

Enjoy,
DoN.

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That does sound miserable. Wish things could have been
better for you. Have you got some good storage food and
water at home, now?

At least a 30 day supply of water & canned goods right now. Hurricane
season is over, so it's time to start rotating the stock over the
winter. I picked up a bunch of wood to build a new pantry so I'll put
the new stock in it, and use up what's on hand over the next three to
four months. I keep a 30 day supply of all my medicine, as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 20:56:10 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

The stove I have in the shop to heat chemicals for plating or
green rusting :-) is over 55 years old. I think more like 60 or thereabouts.
I remember Dad replacing the leather in the pump once.
Since I took it into my hands, it had run on propane except for the first year
or two. I suspect I'll have to oil the leather flapper and hope for it to work
or replace it once again.
That reminds me, I'll have to find some Coleman fuel to have in the shop.

Martin

Walmart..or have someone bring you a 55 gallon drum of Drip Gas from the
oil fields

Gunner

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Living in the North, I've never been there during hurricane
season. You sound much better prepared than many people.
Which should make your life a lot more comfortable during
and after hurricanes.

In New York, crippling snow storms and ice storms are what
affects us. The preps are much the same. Water, food,
medicine. The difference is that we need emergency heat,
instead of ice and AC.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message

At least a 30 day supply of water & canned goods right
now. Hurricane
season is over, so it's time to start rotating the stock
over the
winter. I picked up a bunch of wood to build a new pantry so
I'll put
the new stock in it, and use up what's on hand over the next
three to
four months. I keep a 30 day supply of all my medicine, as
well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:38:52 -0500, the infamous "Steve W."
scrawled the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009
18:56:41 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Sounds like a plan, to me. I use my mini-mag daily, and even
on Sundays. I carry it every day. Each morning, I try to
remember to swap the batteries with a pair from the NiMH
charger. So far, it's been good to me. Teralux module works
well, also.

Get the LED replacement kit. You still need the replacement
batteries, but not as often. My grip with mini-mags is that twist to
turn on - sometimes it will slowly twist open, and you'll notice it
when you hang your pants up at night, or otherwise look where the
light is.

tschus
pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

I own a bunch of Mag lights, and have tested and used about 100 others
through the years. My complaint with the mini mag lights has always been
the switching method. Plus after a lot of use the head starts to loosen up.
My current small light of choice is a Coleman MAX. It's a 2 AA cell, 115
lumen LED light that has a GREAT beam pattern and is able to reach way
out. Runs about 25 bucks at many stores. I found mine at a wal~mart.
It's has a Cree XR-E lamp module.

http://misterx.livejournal.com/616213.html

Run time is about 5 hours.

I don't know what the run time or lumen output is on these, but I
found it an extremely nice light for the price. 3 AA, 4 LEDs, nice
bright blue-white color in a good, tight beam pattern, pushbutton
switch on the rear for one-handed operation. They're not spotlights,
but they're just handy flashlights to have around.

I have these headlamps stashed all around the house, shop, and truck
for most of my flashlight use. It leaves both hands free. They use
bulbs, not LEDs, but they work well and are cheap, $3 on sale. 2 AA,
fairly waterproof with rubber end covers.

I also have a high-output flashlight using two CR-123 lithiums for
_bright_ light when I need it. It has momentary + twist-on switching.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:16:59 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon"
on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009
18:57:12 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Try Mormons, no candles.

Poor Mormons, no candles, no tobacco, no hot drinks - no need for
matches! All that clean living is going to be the death of you!
Bummer dude.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Sodom

Pete, please plonk him as the rest of us have. We don't want to see
his ****, and if you plonk him, you won't be quoting it. Thanks.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 4 Dec 2009 03:30:55 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Do you remember the old photographic flash bulbs? They may not
reach the same peak brightness as an electronic flash, but they burn a
lot longer, so the effect on your night vision is a lot greater (along
with the blue blobs floating where the bulb was in your field of vue
when it went off. :-)

And when gently cracked and then placed in or above above a container of
a flammable substance..make very nice and very positive ignitors.

Hmm ... *that* I didn't know.

Might come in handy in the near future...shrug.

Indeed -- given a supply of old unused flashbulbs. (Though I've
recently discovered that they are still made for a niche market -- caver
photographers who need a *lot* of light for their photos.

But did you know that if you placed one or more flashbulbs in
contact with the one which you are about to fire, those will go off at
the same time (or at least close enough so you could not tell the
difference without a scope and a photovoltaic sensor. :-)

Really? What sets the sympathics off? Its mearly a magnesium ally isnt
it?

Magnesium or sometimes very fine aluminum foil or wire -- but in
a pure oxygen atmosphere. So the intense illumination gets the wires
hot enough to start to burn in that pure oxygen atmosphere.

I suspect that a laser could set them off remotely, too.

I'm not sure whether the ones which appeared to be two stiff
wires with one very fine wire coupling them, and everything dipped in a
silver-colored goop and allowed to dry. I *think* that these may have
been the FP lamps -- fast illumination increase to a certain point, then
a wide plateau, and then a decrease back to dark. These were used with
focal plane shutters, which at higher shutter speeds don't expose the
entire frame at once, and electronic flash shows an incomplete image,
while normal bulbs will show a rise of brightness followed by a fall-off
as the shutter traverses the film -- horizontally in most cameras with
focal-plane shutters, vertically in a few.

Since the goop is connected thermally to the stiff wire, the
spread of burning will be slower than it is with the bulb full of fine
wire in oxygen.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I recall that the metal is zirconium.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Ah! Indeed!

And yes..the long wires are for focal plane shutters. I still have some
samples of those from back in the day.

I think Ive still got a case of Edison base bulbs. I had 2 cases at one
time..but the ability to screw them into standard light bulb bases in
all manner of light fixtures was tough to deal with when I was younger

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-05, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

On 5 Dec 2009 01:55:15 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
Might come in handy in the near future...shrug.

Indeed -- given a supply of old unused flashbulbs. (Though I've
recently discovered that they are still made for a niche market -- caver
photographers who need a *lot* of light for their photos.

[ ... ]

And yes..the long wires are for focal plane shutters. I still have some
samples of those from back in the day.

Hmm ... I've still got a pack of No. 5 ones by GE which are the
sparse Brillo in a bulb, and those are for normal between-the-lens
shutters.

But then, the other set, No. 5A (SM -- Speed Midget) ones are of
the two stiff wires and the fine cross wire which have been dipped, and
they are also for BTL shutters, not focal plane. But the dip goop in
these is black, not the silver which I remember, so who knows. I wish I
had some explicitly marked for Focal Plane use to examine.

I think Ive still got a case of Edison base bulbs. I had 2 cases at one
time..but the ability to screw them into standard light bulb bases in
all manner of light fixtures was tough to deal with when I was younger

Been there -- got the demerits for using them. (There was no
way to hide who it was who did it -- but I won a bet doing it.

That was the most demerits I ever got at one time -- but it was
worth it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Living in the North, I've never been there during hurricane
season. You sound much better prepared than many people.
Which should make your life a lot more comfortable during
and after hurricanes.

Right now I'm trying to make the place more handicapped accessible.
Adding a couple new exterior doors and some ramps.

In New York, crippling snow storms and ice storms are what
affects us. The preps are much the same. Water, food,
medicine. The difference is that we need emergency heat,
instead of ice and AC.

I grew up in Ohio, and lived in Alaska for a year. I know about cold.
I walked to work in -40 degree weather more than I care to remember.

--
Off world checks no longer accepted!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6 Dec 2009 06:11:37 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I think Ive still got a case of Edison base bulbs. I had 2 cases at one
time..but the ability to screw them into standard light bulb bases in
all manner of light fixtures was tough to deal with when I was younger

Been there -- got the demerits for using them. (There was no
way to hide who it was who did it -- but I won a bet doing it.

That was the most demerits I ever got at one time -- but it was
worth it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I nearly went to jail for using those once. "Someone" had changed out
the lamps in a stairwell in the high school I went to..and Mr Perrro
Johannsen opened the door and flipped on the lights as he started down
at something of a gallop.

FOOOOT!!!!!!!!!

Wah?!!!!!!!!

Thud, thud thud thud thud thud thud thudthudthudtdtd.......crunch!

Fortunately while they knew I had done it..they couldnt prove it

And nobody really liked that son of a bitch anyways. He was out for
most of the school year. After they got the casts off...he should have
been able to come back to work..but he stayed home on disability for
most of the year..the *******. I suspected he thought someone had
targeted him. And he was right. Long and nasty story about his
drilling observation holes in the walls from the utility room to the
girls rest rooms.....among other quirks he had.....

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-05, Gunner Asch wrote:

I think Ive still got a case of Edison base bulbs. I had 2 cases at one
time..but the ability to screw them into standard light bulb bases in
all manner of light fixtures was tough to deal with when I was younger

They figured me out and wouldn't sell me flashbulbs, but a pinch of
fine steel wool in the sockets does the job.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-05, Gunner Asch wrote:

I think Ive still got a case of Edison base bulbs. I had 2 cases at one
time..but the ability to screw them into standard light bulb bases in
all manner of light fixtures was tough to deal with when I was younger

They figured me out and wouldn't sell me flashbulbs, but a pinch of
fine steel wool in the sockets does the job.

How far would 10 pounds of 0000 go?

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 7, 2:23*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

They figured me out and wouldn't sell me flashbulbs, but a pinch of
fine steel wool in the sockets does the job.

* *How far would 10 pounds of 0000 go?

I doubt I used 10 grams before everyone figured out who was behind it;
many other college students pulled pranks but theirs were destructive,
mine just startling,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

They figured me out and wouldn't sell me flashbulbs, but a pinch of
fine steel wool in the sockets does the job.

* *How far would 10 pounds of 0000 go?

I doubt I used 10 grams before everyone figured out who was behind it;
many other college students pulled pranks but theirs were destructive,
mine just startling,

Oh -- for that consider a bit of nitrogen tri-iodide in a
keyhole. Startling, and purple fingers. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

They figured me out and wouldn't sell me flashbulbs, but a pinch of
fine steel wool in the sockets does the job.

How far would 10 pounds of 0000 go?

I doubt I used 10 grams before everyone figured out who was behind it;
many other college students pulled pranks but theirs were destructive,
mine just startling,

I picked up two five pound boxes for $2 each when the local Harbor
Freight store dropped it from their stock. More than I should ever
need, but I won't have to worry about running out in the middle of a
project, either.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!