Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default homemade flex couplers

(view in Courier font)
.--.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
(view in Courier font)
.--.
.
.--. \
. . |
/ \ / b.
| - |//|
|.--' '----'/ .
a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[___] --clamp screw

a = "hinge"
b = "cut"

I've made some homemade flex couplers using setscrews to bite the
shafts, but clamps are sooo much classier.
This crappy drawing is an end view of the clamp portion of a helical
flexible beam coupler. Question: how's that cut made, from b. to a.?

TIA,
James Arthur

you mean on ones like these:

http://eolsurplus.com/images/Helical6005-12-6.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 6:33 am, "Nik Rim" wrote:
wrote in message

(view in Courier or other fixed font)
.--.
.
.--. \
. . |
/ \ / b.
| - |//|
a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[___] --clamp screw

a = "hinge"
b = "cut"

I've made some homemade flex couplers using setscrews to bite the
shafts, but clamps are sooo much classier.
This crappy drawing is an end view of the clamp portion of a helical
flexible beam coupler. Question: how's that cut made, from b. to a.?

TIA,
James Arthur

you mean on ones like these:

http://eolsurplus.com/images/Helical6005-12-6.jpg

Yes, exactly, and it's the slit that forms the clamp that I don't get--
it's deep and narrow, with a blind, square bottom.

How do they do that?

I made my own by turning and boring a cylinder (steel), then saw-
cutting slits to create the flexible surfaces. They're surprisingly
nice, and not that hard to make.

But, the setscrew thing mars the shafts, and doesn't grip as securely
as a clamp. (I guess I could stuff a wad of brass in front of the
screw-tips to prevent the marring, come to think of it).

James Arthur
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 9:10 am, Ned Simmons wrote:

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[___] --clamp screw

a = "hinge"
b = "cut"

I've made some homemade flex couplers using setscrews to bite the
shafts, but clamps are sooo much classier.
This crappy drawing is an end view of the clamp portion of a helical
flexible beam coupler. Question: how's that cut made, from b. to a.?

Slitting saw. If you were to look at a section thru the cut you'd see
a radius equal to that of the saw adjacent to "a" in your drawing.

--
Ned Simmons

Really? I just posted the opposite, that the cut's square-bottomed,
but now that you say it I'm not so sure.

Would the hinge be flexible enough with a big arc of metal left at the
bottom of that cut? I wouldn't think so, but if you're right it must
be.

James Arthur

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 9:50 am, Ned Simmons wrote:

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[___] --clamp screw

a = "hinge"
b = "cut"

I've made some homemade flex couplers using setscrews to bite the
shafts, but clamps are sooo much classier.
This crappy drawing is an end view of the clamp portion of a helical
flexible beam coupler. Question: how's that cut made, from b. to a.?

Slitting saw. If you were to look at a section thru the cut you'd see
a radius equal to that of the saw adjacent to "a" in your drawing.

--
Ned Simmons

Really? I just posted the opposite, that the cut's square-bottomed,
but now that you say it I'm not so sure.

Would the hinge be flexible enough with a big arc of metal left at the
bottom of that cut? I wouldn't think so, but if you're right it must
be.

I've got a Helical brand beam coupling and a Huco Oldham coupling in
front of me and both have a radiused bottom on the slit on the far
side of the bore.

--
Ned Simmons

Thanks! I just spent half an hour digging to see if I had one
somewhere, but couldn't find a dang thing.

'Preciate that.

James Arthur
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[...]

Without that radius at the bottom you would have a real nasty stress
point at the corners of the slot.

--
Steve W.

Yep, both that and how thin the "hinge" was troubled me--it didn't
look strong enough.

I was thinking of forming the "pivot" area of the hinge (the part near
'a', the portion that bends as you tighten the clamp) by drilling,
thus forming a rounded, stress-relief area. Like this (crappy drawing
#2):

(view in Courier, or other fixed font)

/
/
/
/
| a. ___
| _ / \
| / \_____| |_____
| | _____ _____
| \_/ | |
| \___/

\
\
\
\ /
\_______________/

I still might do that.

Thanks a bunch to all,
James Arthur
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[...]

Indeed.

Say..if there are any questions..why not call Rocom..makers of Rocom
Couplers

http://www.rocomcorp.com/

One of my clients, and a friend.

Ask for the Big Kahuna...tell him Gunner refered you.

Gunner

DISCLAIMER: The content does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either
my ISP, myself, my company or employer, my friends (if any,) my goldfish or
my neighbour's mad dog; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything;
all rights reserved; the post is distribution copyrighted to the extent that
you may distribute the post and all its associated parts freely but you may
not make a profit from it or include the post in commercial publications
without written permission from the Prime Minister of Hutt Province; other
copyright laws for specific posts apply wherever noted or not noted, either
deliberately, negligently, or otherwise; posts are subject to change without
notice; posts are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to
actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental;
hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or
spindle; do not pass go; do not collect $200; your mileage may vary; no
substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; the post is void where
prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; the post is provided "as is"
without any warranties expressed or implied; user assumes full liabilities;
not liable for damages due to use or misuse; an equal opportunity abuse
employer; no shoes, no shirt; quantities are limited while supplies last; if
defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself but return to an
authorised post service centre; caveat emptor; read at your own risk;
parental advisory - explicit words; text may contain material some readers
may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; not suitable for
children; not suitable for adults; not for human consumption; keep away from
sunlight, pets and small children; limit one-per-family; no money down; no
purchase necessary; to approved purchasers only; facsimiles are acceptable
in South Australia; you need not be present to read this post; some assembly
required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately; no
preservatives added; tools not included; safety goggles may be required
during use; sealed for your protection, do not use if the safety seal is
broken; call before you dig; for external use only; if a rash, redness,
irritation or swelling develops, discontinue use; use only with proper
ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool, dry place; keep
away from open flames, naked flames and old flames; avoid inhaling fumes;
avoid contact with mucous membranes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store
above 60 degrees Centigrade; do not place near flammable or magnetic source;
smoking the post may be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second
only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; text used on the post is
made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; no animals were
used to test the hilarity of this post other than Synapse Syndrome; no salt,
MSG, artificial colour or flavour added; may contain traces of replies to
peanuts; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult
your humourologist; post is ribbed for your pleasure; slippery when wet;
must be 18 to read; possible penalties for early withdrawal; post offer
valid only in participating newsgroups; slightly higher in South Australia;
allow four to six weeks for delivery; damage from hurricane, lightning,
tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, orgasm, misuse,
self-abuse, neglect, unauthorised repair, damage from improper installation,
broken antenna, marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage, missing or altered
serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from
nuclear blasts or other Acts of God are not covered; incidents owing to
aeroplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken
glass, falling rocks, mud
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 12:15 pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

wrote:

Would the hinge be flexible enough with a big arc of metal left at the
bottom of that cut? I wouldn't think so, but if you're right it must
be.

I've got a Helical brand beam coupling and a Huco Oldham coupling in
front of me and both have a radiused bottom on the slit on the far
side of the bore.

--
Ned Simmons

Thanks! I just spent half an hour digging to see if I had one
somewhere, but couldn't find a dang thing.

'Preciate that.

James Arthur

I just remembered a part I designed in the not too distant past that
had that detail...http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...earExample.pdf

--
Ned Simmons

Nice part. I wish my ASCII drawings looked that good!

--
Cheers,
James Arthur
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 1:15 pm, bharbour

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
[...]

A Slitting saw should give you a fairly square bottom on the cut. They
are spooky buggers to use though, a lot of teeth and a big unguarded
area.

BobH

The problem's at the blind end of the cut, at the place I've labeled
"a". There, using a slitting saw you get a radiused tab at the end of
the cut, at the bottom.

Here's a drawing attempt: a section illustrating 1/2 of the clamp &
showing the inside of the cut:

(view in Courier or other fixed font)
_________________
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
| ___ |
| a. / \ b. |
^ | _______| |_________| ^
|__|_|_______________________________|
| |_______ _________
| | | |
| \___/ |
| |
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\_________________/

. ------ .
. ' ' .
. . -- . .
a. / _______/ /_________.|
/ /| | | b.||
| || | | ||
| || | | ||
| || | | ||
| |/\ | | ||
| \ \ | .' '| ||
| \ \___|/ |_________|/
| \/____________________/|
/ ||
/ ||
left by saw's
radius

So, if you can follow these drawings, you can see that a slitting
saw's radius does not cut a square bottom, in that its radius leaves
an arc-shaped tab uncut at the bottom, at the end of the cut.

I thought that'd be a problem, but apparently it's not.

Hope that's clear.

Cheers,
James Arthur
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
|=|
[...]

Nice stuff they have there Gunner, but buying couplers would be
faster, easier, better, and cheaper. That kinda defeats the whole
purpose of making your own, doesn't it?

Grins,
James Arthur

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
|=|
[...]

You guys actually buy em? Damn..and Ive been getting all mine free.

The OmniTurn CNC lathes that I service use 2 of them and I keep a
handful in the truck all the time. Course..the owner is my
friend....G

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
/ ' -- ' :
bore _
|=|
|=|
[...]

Or you are stuck in a lime grove in the middle of no where in Southern
California with the flex coupler on an older Mercedes steering broke. My
dad manufactured a new one out of an old tire they found. Always good to be
handy. This was back in about 1960.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:34:27 -0800, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

.. .

a. |'--. .----. /
| - |/
\ / /
/. .:
bore _
|=|
|=|
[...]

Indeed. Ive seen that done more than once, including big trucks. My
mechanic rebuilt the flex on my old drill rig out on the line in the
middle of sweet **** all in Montana, using a tire. It was still in
there when I quit Western Geophysical a couple years and 5 states later.