Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Delta DP350 Power Switch - Small Saga

I bought a Delta DP350 drill press in April 2005, and have used it ever
since. A few weeks ago, the switch failed, and one could no longer turn
the drill press on. The problem was mechanical and abrupt - something
in the switch broke.

Delta wants almost $40 for a new switch, which caused a small revolt.

For the record, the old switch is a Kedu model HY52 E195428 02A0428,
20/12 amp 125/150 Vac. No motor HP rating is given on the switch.

With a little research, I was able to find a suitable and mechanically
compatible switch for $3.20. Same current ratings, but also has a 3/4
HP motor rating.

The new switch (a Carling model RGSCC201-R-B-B-E from Allied Electronics
(stock number 683-5523)) was installed yesterday and works just fine.

I bought two switches, and have stored the second switch in a ziplock
bag stored in a cavity within the drill press.

The panel cutout which held the old switch is slightly too long for the
new switch, even though Carling claims the same size cutout, but it was
close enough.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 24, 8:05*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

Good for you! And when the new switch wears out, you will not be able
to find where you put the second switch. Or, the next owner will
discover the bag and switch when he goes to replace the old switch.
You just can't win!

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
" wrote:

[...]

Well, the chosen cavity is behind the operational switch, so there is
hope. And I do the put-the-spares-in-the-machine maneuver often enough
that I'll probably think of it. It's more likely to work than to
remember which box I put it in, five or ten years later.

I hope that this switch lasts longer than 5 years of light duty that
killed the old switch. The new switch is mechanically simpler (a
rocker) than the old switch (push green for on, push red for off).

Future owners are on their own.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus18829 wrote:

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Duh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Two of my drill presses have foot controls. They're Dumont drills with
Jacobs #0 taper chucks. Since they have universal AC/DC motors, a simple
trigger switch from a variable speed drill will easily carry the currents of
the motors.

A similar setup could be constructed for most drill presses, with a foot
switch to act as just a Start/Stop switch for a relay/contactor to run the
motor.
Typical, inexpensive foot switches aren't rated for high currents that a
full-sized shop drill press motor would require, but they can easily handle
the contactor coil's voltage and current.

Heavy duty indsustrial-rated machine control foot switches are generally
expensive, and nearly always have a guard covering the switch pedal to
prevent accidental activation of a machine.

The guard is a sensible feature for any foot switch, and especially if
children or pets frequent the machine area. A safety lockout switch located
on the machine could prevent unanticipated surprises or injuries.

If the drill press had a DC motor, it wouldn't be too difficult to put
together a variable speed foot control for some particular purpose..
polishing, maybe.

An AC variable speed control could probably be constructed without too much
difficulty using a VFD for a 3-phase motor and a foot switch.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ignoramus18829" wrote in message
Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

With a little research, I was able to find a suitable and mechanically
compatible switch for $3.20. Same current ratings, but also has a 3/4
HP motor rating.

I spent a half hour looking for a replacement switch for a Bunn coffee maker. Co-worker
was trying to find a switch with a light that would fit. The replacement I found is a
Honeywell product which made me think of Don. I guess Bunn really wants a lot for that
switch, Digikey seems a bit less proud of it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wils Bill, thanks. I have an Allen Bradley foot switch that has a
guard, weighs 6-8 lbs and is rated for 15 amp. I will add a 115v plug
and receptacle to it so that I could use it with any piece of
machinery.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus18829" wrote in message
Wils Bill, thanks. I have an Allen Bradley foot switch that has a
guard, weighs 6-8 lbs and is rated for 15 amp. I will add a 115v plug
and receptacle to it so that I could use it with any piece of
machinery.

I only do small stuff so my machines are quite small.
3 of them,, the bench grinder the small pedastal drill, and the scroll saw
are all on the one plug board with the foot switch on the input.
Turn on which ever machine you want, kick the switch a bit closer and away
you go.

John G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus18829 wrote:

Wild Bill, thanks. I have an Allen Bradley foot switch that has a
guard, weighs 6-8 lbs and is rated for 15 amp. I will add a 115v plug
and receptacle to it so that I could use it with any piece of
machinery.

Mine was hard wired to the motor switch about 10 years ago. I is a
commercial grade from some load of surplaus i picked up, long ago. There
were two mounted on a single base plate so i cut the plate in half and
trimmed it to fit each footswitch

These are already wired to just plug in:

Momentary Power Foot Switch $9.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96619
Manual: http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...6999/96619.pdf

Power Maintained Foot Switch $12.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96618
Manual: http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...6999/96618.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus18829
scrawled the following:

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Excellent question, Ig. I'd love floor-actuated switching for a few
tools. Do you prefer momentary or hard-switched? I think I'd like
the option for both.

--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Iggy,

I use foot switches on all three of mine. Each is actually an "air
ball pedal" with rubber tubing leading to the actual switches near the
motors. Works on the same principle as the old service station bell.
This is a safety feature that does away with the
"something-heavy/sharp-cut-the-cord-on-the-floor" electrical hazard,
and light enough to be able to easily nudge it out of the way when not
needed. They are quite light, and I had thought initially that
lightness would be annoying and maybe I should mount each on a board
or something, but so far that has not been required. Pretty sure mine
came from a place called Busy Bee Tools here in Canada, at about $15
bucks each as I recall.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

and ps to Joe Gwinn.... if you had a unit style Start/Stop originally,
you should have a big enough "hole" to mount a decent sized double
pole toggle switch, even from Radio Shack, and suing both poles you
would double the electrical life of the switch.

'XXXXXXXXXXX

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0500, Ignoramus18829
wrote:

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:

[snip]

and ps to Joe Gwinn.... if you had a unit style Start/Stop originally,
you should have a big enough "hole" to mount a decent sized double
pole toggle switch, even from Radio Shack, and suing both poles you
would double the electrical life of the switch.

I thought of that, but the problem in the switch was mechanical, not
electrical, so I opted for a mechanically simpler switch that is made in
the US. With any luck, this will outlive me.

The failed switch will be autopsied, time permitting.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:

[...]

No, you won't 'double' the life. The switches will open or close at
slightly different times, and won't share the load equally so it will
extend the life some it will not double.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus18829
scrawled the following:

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Excellent question, Ig. I'd love floor-actuated switching for a few
tools. Do you prefer momentary or hard-switched? I think I'd like
the option for both.

Harbor Freight has both types.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-25, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus18829
scrawled the following:

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Excellent question, Ig. I'd love floor-actuated switching for a few
tools. Do you prefer momentary or hard-switched? I think I'd like
the option for both.

I prefer momentary, personally. The pedal that would hold, seems more
dangerous than useful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:18:26 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus7950
scrawled the following:

On 2009-10-25, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus18829
scrawled the following:

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Excellent question, Ig. I'd love floor-actuated switching for a few
tools. Do you prefer momentary or hard-switched? I think I'd like
the option for both.

I prefer momentary, personally. The pedal that would hold, seems more
dangerous than useful.

Since 99.9% of switches up top are not momentary, I don't see how you
could consider a foot switch more dangerous. It's the norm for all
power tools except handheld VSR drill motors.

--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-25, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus18829
scrawled the following:

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Excellent question, Ig. I'd love floor-actuated switching for a few
tools. Do you prefer momentary or hard-switched? I think I'd like
the option for both.

I prefer momentary, personally. The pedal that would hold, seems more
dangerous than useful.

Since 99.9% of switches up top are not momentary, I don't see how you
could consider a foot switch more dangerous. It's the norm for all
power tools except handheld VSR drill motors.

If something happens, you would need to look for a switch and find it
with your foot etc. I do not really see the point of non-momemntary
foot switches.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-25, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus18829
scrawled the following:

Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a
foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.

Excellent question, Ig. I'd love floor-actuated switching for a few
tools. Do you prefer momentary or hard-switched? I think I'd like
the option for both.

I prefer momentary, personally. The pedal that would hold, seems more
dangerous than useful.

Since 99.9% of switches up top are not momentary, I don't see how you
could consider a foot switch more dangerous. It's the norm for all
power tools except handheld VSR drill motors.

If something happens, you would need to look for a switch and find it
with your foot etc. I do not really see the point of non-momemntary
foot switches.

And hands are much more instinct driven than feet when it comes to
something other than balance.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ahhh, crap. The drills are Dumore (not Dumont).

Sensitive drills such as the Series 16
http://www.dumorecorp.com/drills.htm#sd

and a much older version of the same model designated Type PD

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Two of my drill presses have foot controls. They're Dumont drills with
Jacobs #0 taper chucks. Since they have universal AC/DC motors, a simple
trigger switch from a variable speed drill will easily carry the currents
of the motors.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 00:08:32 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

Then Ig said:
If something happens, you would need to look for a switch and find it
with your foot etc. I do not really see the point of non-momemntary
foot switches.

And hands are much more instinct driven than feet when it comes to
something other than balance.

I dunno, Ger. I seem to instinctively tapdance around when something
goes wrong in the shop. Doesn't everyone? snort

--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Then Ig said:
If something happens, you would need to look for a switch and find it
with your foot etc. I do not really see the point of non-momemntary
foot switches.

And hands are much more instinct driven than feet when it comes to
something other than balance.

I dunno, Ger. I seem to instinctively tapdance around when something
goes wrong in the shop. Doesn't everyone? snort

I have both switches on my drill press. The original one on the drill
press is a rocker switch that is connected in series with the hard wired
momentary foot switch. I added it about 10 years ago so I would have
another free hand for some delicate work. It allows me to have the tip
of the drill in contact with the workpiece when I start the motor. if
something goes wrong, either switch will stop the motor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Then Ig said:
If something happens, you would need to look for a switch and find it
with your foot etc. I do not really see the point of non-momemntary
foot switches.

And hands are much more instinct driven than feet when it comes to
something other than balance.

I dunno, Ger. I seem to instinctively tapdance around when something
goes wrong in the shop. Doesn't everyone? snort

I have both switches on my drill press. The original one on the drill
press is a rocker switch that is connected in series with the hard wired
momentary foot switch. I added it about 10 years ago so I would have
another free hand for some delicate work. It allows me to have the tip
of the drill in contact with the workpiece when I start the motor. if
something goes wrong, either switch will stop the motor.

Tell the truth, I haven't hooked up my new foot switch yet - been too
busy straightening the crank shaft on a 4 HP B&S quatro that got
dragged home, so I could bag leaves from four large maple trees plus a
few smaller Misc. species and whatever are delivered by the breezes,
and I haven't had that many holes to produce. Last time I used a foot
switch was in the shop at the airport where I earned free access to
equipment and supplies.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Then Ig said:
[...]

A lot of the time I have to use my cane to stand, so that leaves me
one hand short to use the drill press. It was a convenience when I
added it, about ten years ago, but now that I'm disabled, its the only
way I can use the drill press, most days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for original post - I just had same situation with DP350. I'll buy 2 and hide one behind my coffee maker (if she's sleeping).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Joseph Gwinn, Jeff wrote:
I also have the Delta DP350 drill press and the switch is no longer working
after checking for continuity. The stock number 683-5523 does not work at
Allied Electronics, not sure why? Hope you can help Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...ga-205274-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 14:18:03 +0000, Jeff
wrote:

replying to Joseph Gwinn, Jeff wrote:
I also have the Delta DP350 drill press and the switch is no longer working
after checking for continuity. The stock number 683-5523 does not work at
Allied Electronics, not sure why? Hope you can help Thanks

I also have DP350, and the switch did fail. While it's difficult to
find that exact switch, the cutout and connections are standard, and
there are lots of switches that will work. Be sure to get a switch
rated for at least the rating of the failed switch. And buy a few
spares.

My backup plan was to make a metal plate to mount a MIL-SPEC toggle
switch. These are heavy enough to never fail.

Joe Gwinn