Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill holes in tubing

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-17, Karl Townsend wrote:
I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

I would plasma cut these holes using a jig. Should work great for
subsequent welding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would plasma cut these holes using a jig. Should work great for
subsequent welding.

That would work good IF I had a hand held plasma cutter. I don't like to
farm stuff out unless there's not another way.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:4ada306a$0
:

I would plasma cut these holes using a jig. Should work great for
subsequent welding.

That would work good IF I had a hand held plasma cutter. I don't like to
farm stuff out unless there's not another way.

Karl

Don't forget you will end up pulling the skids into a shape resembling
monkey food by welding on only the one side.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I would plasma cut these holes using a jig. Should work great for
subsequent welding.

That would work good IF I had a hand held plasma cutter. I don't like to
farm stuff out unless there's not another way.

Karl

Karl
Get out there and get busy on that CNC plasma machine languishing in the
shed!
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:27:41 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Rotabroach(TM) or similar annular cutter. Work great, last long time.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/rotabroach_advantage.html

I've never tried these, but they're similar and are made specifically
for thinner material.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheetmetal/Rotacut.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

how about gas cutting

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anybody know about annular cutters?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6849a48/=43qybf

I have a huge Jacobs chuck. Most drill shanks are not hardened. Could I cut
the shank down on this cutter to fit my Jacobs chuck?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rotabroach(TM) or similar annular cutter. Work great, last long time.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/rotabroach_advantage.html

I've never tried these, but they're similar and are made specifically
for thinner material.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheetmetal/Rotacut.html

I just seen these (see another post). Any reason i can't turn the shank or
make a custom arbor?

I think I'll go this way, just need to figure how to mount it in the radial
arm drill press.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]
Maybe I'm missing something but ...
Why drill any holes at all if you're going to weld sleeves on?
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 17, 9:27*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

Karl

So what worked the best for pulling the conduit out of the ground?

I would cut the holes with a oxy/acet torch because that is what I
have. Make some sort of jig to guide the torch and also to guide a
drill to speed up starting the cut. A 1/4 inch hole or ever somewhat
smaller would be enough. Yeah you can piece with the torch, but it is
a lot nicer to start at an edge. It speeds up the heating as the heat
can not go in all directions.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:27:41 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Perhaps weld slightly larger diameter sleeves on the outside, then use
cotter pins to hold the hoop ends in them. This makes them assy more
flexible, too, a good thing when bein' drug aroun', y'hear?

We just had a nice, windy storm blow in. I got a full hour of paid
work in with one client this morning (the first one all week) and have
the rest of the weekend off. We beat the rain by 2 hours. The work
was rolling up her awning over the back patio.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Several post answers here...

So what worked the best for pulling the conduit out of the ground?

Ryan - nothing like a strong young man.

I would cut the holes with a oxy/acet torch because that is what I

Don't want to use torch and make the rail in to a banana.

Also the rails have the sleeve of clear through for purlon attachment.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 17, 11:02*pm, "Artemus" wrote:

:
Maybe I'm missing something but ...
Why drill any holes at all if you're going to weld sleeves on?
Art

I like the way you think. For that matter why use tubing. Why not
use some 3/16 by 2 inch bar on each side of the sleeve. That would be
close to tubing, just no top or bottom. Ought to pull okay. Would
not work for pushing.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Plasma cutter and a simple template

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Plasma cutter and a simple template

That was my suggestion, as well.

Glad we agree.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Plasma cutter and a simple template

That was my suggestion, as well.

Glad we agree.

Of course. Bright minds often think alike.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl
Get out there and get busy on that CNC plasma machine languishing in the
shed!
Steve

Yep, you're right.

But the greenhouse is for my better half. She loves to garden. Doing
something for her comes first. I KNOW there won't be time to finish this in
the spring if I don't get the skeleton done before cold weather this fall.

Too many projects. Too little time.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Why drill the hole? Make a clamp to hold the upright at 90 degrees and
clamp and weld.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:00:24 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

Rotabroach(TM) or similar annular cutter. Work great, last long time.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/rotabroach_advantage.html

I've never tried these, but they're similar and are made specifically
for thinner material.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheetmetal/Rotacut.html

I just seen these (see another post). Any reason i can't turn the shank or
make a custom arbor?

I think I'll go this way, just need to figure how to mount it in the radial
arm drill press.

It appears that they're threaded internally, so just make a simple
mandrel for it if one isn't available cheap.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:00:24 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Rotabroach(TM) or similar annular cutter. Work great, last long time.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/rotabroach_advantage.html

I've never tried these, but they're similar and are made specifically
for thinner material.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheetmetal/Rotacut.html

I just seen these (see another post). Any reason i can't turn the shank or
make a custom arbor?

I think I'll go this way, just need to figure how to mount it in the radial
arm drill press.

I just tested the shank on a couple Rotabroaches and they're hard --
more like an endmill than a drill.

The Rotabroach shank is a standard 3/4" Weldon. I've seen Morse taper
adapters for them but can't recall where. If you don't have a 3/4"
chuck, a reducing adapter would be easy to make. I usually drive them
in a collet in the mill.

I just noticed these on Hougen's site, but I have no experience with
them.
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheetm...olcutters.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl
Get out there and get busy on that CNC plasma machine languishing in the
shed!
Steve

Yep, you're right.

But the greenhouse is for my better half. She loves to garden. Doing
something for her comes first. I KNOW there won't be time to finish this in
the spring if I don't get the skeleton done before cold weather this fall.

Too many projects. Too little time.

Karl

Why can't you use the CNC plasma to cut the holes and just index the
material a couple times for the length?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about a number of brackets that have holes and they get welded.
Z like brackets. Something like building tie downs.

If the holes waller out over time, then the bracket can be cut out and
a new one put in place.

Martin

Karl Townsend wrote:
I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:00:41 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I would plasma cut these holes using a jig. Should work great for
subsequent welding.

That would work good IF I had a hand held plasma cutter. I don't like to
farm stuff out unless there's not another way.

Um. Don't you have a cnc plasma table. Why don't you program it to
do the holes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so I
can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

Well, Personally I wouldn't use steel. I'd use wood. 4X4 or even a 6X6.
Treated would last longer than the steel. And it would drag easier.

Drill your holes using a 2" Forstner bit. Then drill in on an angle and
use a screw to secure the tubing to the steel. OR Gorilla glue it in.

For the floor the easy thing to use is horse mats.

Why drag it to new ground? The idea with a greenhouse is that you use
compost and good soil in beds to raise plants. No real reason to move it.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I spent the day getting a used greenhouse home. I'm plumb wore out right
now. So, I'm a dreaming on the re-construction. I'll build it on skids so

can drag it to new ground every year.

To do this, I'll need two runs of square tubing on each side. Fifty spots

on
each side to drill a 1.9" hole for a total of 200 holes. Then weld a
vertical sleeve at each hole. The base on the sides will look just like a
ladder laying down.

Anyway, what would you use to drill 200 1.9" holes in 2-1/4 (if made) or
2-1/2 square tubing. I have a radial arm drill press. I know I'd go

through
SEVERAL 1-7/8" regular hole saws. There must be a better option.

Karl

How about a trammel cutter? With that you could dial it to the exact
diameter you want, they are cheap and you can re-sharpen them.

Also, how did you wind up pulling all of the tubes?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about a trammel cutter? With that you could dial it to the exact
diameter you want, they are cheap and you can re-sharpen them.

What is this? A search of eBay and MSC turned up nothing

Also, how did you wind up pulling all of the tubes?

Young man named Ryan. Strong as an ox. He just wiggled and pulled. I
couldn't believe it, they were all two feet deep.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl, your CNC plasma machine consists of two parts:

1) Plasma cutting power supply and torch
2) CNC controlled table.

Item 1 separates from item 2 and likely can be used manually, with
especially great success if you use a jig.

I would do just that if I were you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy -
Not so easy to remove the torch cable from the table.

I bought a 50' torch upgrade to a higher power and that
works great out in front of my shop or inside. I have a
clamp on ground to the main return clamp (which I changed to a 200amp clamp)
and it runs 50' (nice big stick wire) and I have a magnet attachment.
I can swap ends if a clamp is needed.

I have a table and CNC plasma machine as well.

Removing it isn't bad - just not easy to do back and forth...

Martin

Ignoramus29858 wrote:
Karl, your CNC plasma machine consists of two parts:

1) Plasma cutting power supply and torch
2) CNC controlled table.

Item 1 separates from item 2 and likely can be used manually, with
especially great success if you use a jig.

I would do just that if I were you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is a Smith 55-T plasma torch worth?

I bought this some years ago and within 6 months Smith was bought out
and the supply of consumables has pretty much dried up. I'm looking
to sell it and replace it with another torch. What would be a fair
asking price? It has quite a few consumables with it, but the long
nozzles that I liked so well are gone, burned up the last one
yesterday.

Drill holes in tiles Mark UK diy 14 January 25th 08 08:56 PM
How can I automatically tap 500 holes in 5/16-18 thread size using ahand drill or drill press? [email protected] Metalworking 36 January 8th 08 06:10 AM
How to drill dog holes RayV Woodworking 15 March 26th 07 10:03 AM
drill holes in concrete HotRod Home Repair 13 August 22nd 06 05:43 PM
Bench dog holes: Drill through? Dan Riseborough Woodworking 3 September 8th 03 09:01 PM