Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Double sealed bearings, Perma-Lube or not?

I am looking at two 6204 bearings at McMaster-Carr. One is a regular
double sealed bearing 5972K45 for $7.72. Another is a "PermaLube"
bearing 2349K423 that costs $15.32. According to McMaster, perma-lube
bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance.

But what about the regular bearing 5972K45? If it is double sealed, it
must also have lubricant inside, already? What is different about these
Perma-Lube bearings?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 13, 12:45*pm, Ignoramus14507 ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
14507.invalid wrote:
I am looking at two 6204 bearings at McMaster-Carr. One is a regular
double sealed bearing 5972K45 for $7.72. Another is a "PermaLube"
bearing 2349K423 that costs $15.32. According to McMaster, perma-lube
bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance.

But what about the regular bearing 5972K45? If it is double sealed, it
must also have lubricant inside, already? What is different about these
Perma-Lube bearings?

Probably the one is finest chinese quality(and Q.C.) and the other may
have a brand-name attached(but may still be from the far east
somewhere). As to lube, if it's sealed, it's permanently lubed(unless
you've got the special needle). You pays your money and takes your
chances.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus14507 wrote:

I am looking at two 6204 bearings at McMaster-Carr. One is a regular
double sealed bearing 5972K45 for $7.72. Another is a "PermaLube"
bearing 2349K423 that costs $15.32. According to McMaster, perma-lube
bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance.

But what about the regular bearing 5972K45? If it is double sealed, it
must also have lubricant inside, already? What is different about these
Perma-Lube bearings?

No bearing requires maintenance. And after they are not maintained for a
while, they fail. Lubricated for life means, of course, for the life of
the bearing - when it fails, its life is over. Catch-22.

I'd say the difference is $7.50 in marketing/profit and possibly 10
cents to use better grease. Or more likely $7.599 and .01 cents.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-13, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus14507 wrote:

I am looking at two 6204 bearings at McMaster-Carr. One is a regular
double sealed bearing 5972K45 for $7.72. Another is a "PermaLube"
bearing 2349K423 that costs $15.32. According to McMaster, perma-lube
bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance.

But what about the regular bearing 5972K45? If it is double sealed, it
must also have lubricant inside, already? What is different about these
Perma-Lube bearings?

No bearing requires maintenance. And after they are not maintained for a
while, they fail. Lubricated for life means, of course, for the life of
the bearing - when it fails, its life is over. Catch-22.

So if it fails, I cannot lubricate it, huh?

I'd say the difference is $7.50 in marketing/profit and possibly 10
cents to use better grease. Or more likely $7.599 and .01 cents.

That's what it seems to me, as well. I bought the two cheaper ones.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-13, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus14507 wrote:

[...]

Some people routinely buy new sealed bearings, pop the seals and replace
the grease inside with the best grease they can buy.
I know at least one that swears by this, and he is responsible for a
bearing-studded production line

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

That's what it seems to me, as well. I bought the two cheaper ones.

Some people routinely buy new sealed bearings, pop the seals and replace
the grease inside with the best grease they can buy.
I know at least one that swears by this, and he is responsible for a
bearing-studded production line

Well if the bearing is lubed with something akin to Kluber NBU-15 it *might* be worth it.

http://www.wadkintooling.com/WannerG...easetubes.html

Damn, that 50 gram tube I have in my tool box is almost 32 bucks.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:34:20 -0400, the infamous Ecnerwal
scrawled the following:

In article ,
Ignoramus14507 wrote:

I am looking at two 6204 bearings at McMaster-Carr. One is a regular
double sealed bearing 5972K45 for $7.72. Another is a "PermaLube"
bearing 2349K423 that costs $15.32. According to McMaster, perma-lube
bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance.

But what about the regular bearing 5972K45? If it is double sealed, it
must also have lubricant inside, already? What is different about these
Perma-Lube bearings?

No bearing requires maintenance. And after they are not maintained for a
while, they fail. Lubricated for life means, of course, for the life of
the bearing - when it fails, its life is over. Catch-22.

I'd say the difference is $7.50 in marketing/profit and possibly 10
cents to use better grease. Or more likely $7.599 and .01 cents.

What the other Larry said might be true, Ig, (it is in many other
cases), I wonder if there is also a difference in bearing grade here.
The doubled price is about right for that. Do you want them to last
for mere hundreds of thousands or hours or for millions of hours?

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-14, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
What the other Larry said might be true, Ig, (it is in many other
cases), I wonder if there is also a difference in bearing grade here.
The doubled price is about right for that. Do you want them to last
for mere hundreds of thousands or hours or for millions of hours?

No, they are both ABEC-1.

I overlooked that they had Precision-Plus bearings for $11 apiece that
offer ABEC-3-like precision. But I do not think that anybody cares,
neither me nor the potential buyers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus14507" wrote in message
I am looking at two 6204 bearings at McMaster-Carr. One is a regular
double sealed bearing 5972K45 for $7.72. Another is a "PermaLube"
bearing 2349K423 that costs $15.32. According to McMaster, perma-lube
bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance.

But what about the regular bearing 5972K45? If it is double sealed, it
must also have lubricant inside, already? What is different about these
Perma-Lube bearings?

Bearings are interesting. While some bearings look alike they can be very
different.

If you have a bearing supplier near you I would go there and ask the
question in person, describing your application.

For instance the bearings used on a surface grinder are a whole lot more
critical than the bearings used on a drill press and the drill press
bearings are a whole lot more precise than something you find on a skill
saw.

The lubrication gets tricky, too much grease, the wrong kind of grease can
kill a bearing. and The speed the bearing is run and the load it carries is
also a factor. The good thing is the bearing companies have really great
catalogs with a lot of technical info and the bearing places are usually
happy to part with them. Also it has been my experience that the folks at
the bearing houses know their stuff, so it is a pleasant change from the big
box places that have clerks that are likely to know very little.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 13, 11:45*am, Ignoramus14507 ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
14507.invalid wrote:
I am looking at two 6204 bearings at McMaster-Carr. One is a regular
double sealed bearing 5972K45 for $7.72. Another is a "PermaLube"
bearing 2349K423 that costs $15.32. According to McMaster, perma-lube
bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance.

But what about the regular bearing 5972K45? If it is double sealed, it
must also have lubricant inside, already? What is different about these
Perma-Lube bearings?

___________________________________

6204-2RS is sealed both sides , easy to relube .
$1.95 in Guadalaja MEX , Avenida Independencia , 395 .
from My friend Jorge .

They are high quality Taiwan made .
His other prices are
R16-2RS . I just bought 200 , for $1.65
67048 Tapered rollers for $3.90
25580 " $9.20

Prices wont last . A trade war will tax his prices
much higher .

Long ago their was a way to "can" a ball bearing factory .
Suppliers would sell you all the materials and maintain
the equipment .
It was politically convenient , so many countries began
producing high quality bearings and GD25 balls .

Korea ( KBC) and Taiwan make top quality at low prices .

I remember the price drop 20 years ago , got 6003's
and spun then on my finger against a small grinder
to put a taper on O.D. , pushed them in my bicycle
bottom bracket . They are still running fine .
I use R-16-2RS on 3/4NPT , cause ya cut .025 off
1.056 Pipe and push R16 on ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:47:43 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus19639
scrawled the following:

On 2009-10-14, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:38:56 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus14507
scrawled the following:

On 2009-10-14, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
What the other Larry said might be true, Ig, (it is in many other
cases), I wonder if there is also a difference in bearing grade here.
The doubled price is about right for that. Do you want them to last
for mere hundreds of thousands or hours or for millions of hours?

No, they are both ABEC-1.

OK.

I overlooked that they had Precision-Plus bearings for $11 apiece that
offer ABEC-3-like precision. But I do not think that anybody cares,
neither me nor the potential buyers.

Yeah, that was my point. Bearings are usually made so well that you
don't need to pay extra to get good ones. Unless you're going for
super high-speed extreme-duty stuff, ABEC-5 and -7 are out of the
question. Mortgage your home for ABEC-9, when you can find it.

Apparently, eBay is full of "ABEC-9" (yeah right) skateboard bearngs,
available at $1 per pack of five.

Ouch! Steep. No doubt they're USA and Union-made at that price,
right? g

Disk drives, OTOH,
had MTBFs of 200-300k hours the last time I looked, but they have
relatively unloaded, unshaken lives.

Hard drives usually fail within five years, which is about 40k hours.
(the failures usually are not due to spindle bearings).

Right, but look at the MTBFs they sport: 100k, 200k, 300k, 500k hours.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 2:45:23 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus14507 wrote:
I am looking at two 6204 bearings at McMaster-Carr. One is a regular
double sealed bearing 5972K45 for $7.72. Another is a "PermaLube"
bearing 2349K423 that costs $15.32. According to McMaster, perma-lube
bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance.

But what about the regular bearing 5972K45? If it is double sealed, it
must also have lubricant inside, already? What is different about these
Perma-Lube bearings?

Perma-Lube bearings have a solid lubricant (i.e. Teflon) instead of grease.