DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Magnetic Drill Bit Holder (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/289089-magnetic-drill-bit-holder.html)

Bob Engelhardt October 10th 09 03:33 AM

Magnetic Drill Bit Holder

This looks like a pretty good idea:

What I like best is that you don't have to thread the bit through 2
holes when replacing it. Just slap it in the slot.

I'd want one for 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths & I could make one like that. But
before I do, has anyone used one & are there disadvantages that I don't
see? I.e., that make it less convenient than it looks.

Thanks,
Bob

Roger Shoaf October 10th 09 04:16 AM

Magnetic Drill Bit Holder

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
This looks like a pretty good idea:

What I like best is that you don't have to thread the bit through 2
holes when replacing it. Just slap it in the slot.

I'd want one for 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths & I could make one like that. But
before I do, has anyone used one & are there disadvantages that I don't
see? I.e., that make it less convenient than it looks.

Thanks,
Bob

A possible disadvantage would be that you magnetize the bits making clearing
the chips difficult.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Larry Jaques October 10th 09 05:17 AM

Magnetic Drill Bit Holder

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 22:33:38 -0400, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

This looks like a pretty good idea:

What I like best is that you don't have to thread the bit through 2
holes when replacing it. Just slap it in the slot.

I'd want one for 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths & I could make one like that. But
before I do, has anyone used one & are there disadvantages that I don't
see? I.e., that make it less convenient than it looks.

Yeah, I want to magnetize my bits so the swarf -clings- to them!
Great idea, guys! kaf, kaf

--
Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Don Foreman October 10th 09 05:43 AM

Magnetic Drill Bit Holder

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 20:16:06 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
This looks like a pretty good idea:

What I like best is that you don't have to thread the bit through 2
holes when replacing it. Just slap it in the slot.

I'd want one for 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths & I could make one like that. But
before I do, has anyone used one & are there disadvantages that I don't
see? I.e., that make it less convenient than it looks.

Thanks,
Bob

A possible disadvantage would be that you magnetize the bits making clearing
the chips difficult.

Yes. Also, having to thread the bit through 2 holes provides a check
for slightly bent drillbit and for burrs on the bit caused by
slipping in the chuck.

Wes[_2_] October 10th 09 01:37 PM

Magnetic Drill Bit Holder

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

What I like best is that you don't have to thread the bit through 2
holes when replacing it. Just slap it in the slot.

When you have drills for A-Z, 1-60, 60-80, & the fractional set, those huot boxes look
better and better.

http://store.huot-store.com/tool-sto...dtri-tapd.html

I particullarly like having a tap set with corresponding tap drills in the same box. Real
time saver at work.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Bob Engelhardt October 10th 09 07:37 PM

Magnetic Drill Bit Holder

Larry Jaques wrote:
Yeah, I want to magnetize my bits so the swarf -clings- to them!

You're right - I have enough trouble with bits magically getting
magnetized without any apparent reason.

Thanks,
Bob

DoN. Nichols October 12th 09 05:21 AM

Magnetic Drill Bit Holder

On 2009-10-10, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
This looks like a pretty good idea:

What I like best is that you don't have to thread the bit through 2
holes when replacing it. Just slap it in the slot.

There are old benchtop drill indexes made by multiple makers
which have only a single hole for each bit -- the bottom drops in and
holds the bit upright.

But what I want is one for the number-size bits, which are what
I use most frequently.

I'd want one for 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths & I could make one like that. But
before I do, has anyone used one & are there disadvantages that I don't
see? I.e., that make it less convenient than it looks.

Hmm ... perhaps residual magnetism in the bits (from the holder)
causing them to turn into balls of chips stuck to the end? Easy enough
to wipe off, but if you have to do it for every hole for a large number
of holes, it could get to be inconvenient. Keep a degausser nearby?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564