Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill bit tolerances

What is the expected tolerance of drill bits? I have a set of fractional,
letter and number drills. No.12 to 15 (including 3/16") seem to produce the
same size hole.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mattathayde had written this in response to
http://rittercnc.com/metalworking/Dr...es-201627-.htm :

-------------------------------------
Michael Koblic wrote:

What is the expected tolerance of drill bits? I have a set of
fractional,
letter and number drills. No.12 to 15 (including 3/16") seem to
produce the
same size hole.

what are you measuring with, 12-15 range .18-.189, also do you have runout
on
your press, how fresh are the bits, etc. your dealing with such small
differences that it will be very hard to get a good read unless you have
very
high quality measuring devices.

-matt

Delivered via http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 175567 messages and counting!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:

What is the expected tolerance of drill bits? I have a set of
fractional,
letter and number drills. No.12 to 15 (including 3/16") seem to
produce the
same size hole.

what are you measuring with, 12-15 range .18-.189, also do you have runout
on
your press, how fresh are the bits, etc. your dealing with such small
differences that it will be very hard to get a good read unless you have
very
high quality measuring devices.

-matt

Delivered via http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 175567 messages and counting!

Any bit not sharpened properly--especially one with the point not
centered will drill oversize..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 2:17*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
What is the expected tolerance of drill bits? I have a set of fractional,
letter and number drills. No.12 to 15 (including 3/16") seem to produce the
same size hole.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Have you measured the diameter of the drill bits? I could not find
tolerances on drill sizes, but drill blanks are the nominal size plus
nothing minus .0003 inches for blanks up to half inch. I would
expect drills to have about the same tolerances.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:41:04 -0700, dcaster@krl... wrote:
On Oct 3, 2:17Â*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
What is the expected tolerance of drill bits? I have a set of
fractional, letter and number drills. No.12 to 15 (including 3/16")
seem to produce the same size hole.

Have you measured the diameter of the drill bits? I could not find
tolerances on drill sizes, but drill blanks are the nominal size plus
nothing minus .0003 inches for blanks up to half inch. I would expect
drills to have about the same tolerances.

Also, are you using a mill-drill, a drill-press, or a
hand-held drill motor? And what is the material being
drilled, ie, wood, aluminum, steel? Clamped or hand-held?

If using a drill press or better and drilling into steel
or aluminum, I would regard it as an unusual problem -- with
the press, the bit, the material, or the work-holding -- if
I drilled a hole with a #13 bit (0.1850") and was then able
to push a #12 bit (0.1890") through the hole without cutting
at least a little more metal.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 2, 6:17*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
What is the expected tolerance of drill bits? I have a set of fractional,
letter and number drills. No.12 to 15 (including 3/16") seem to produce the
same size hole.

I've used the shank of drill bits as gages; they measure within .001"
of
the marked size.

As for the holes, the #12 makes a hole bigger than #13 and smaller
than
#11 (i.e. look at the gap between sizes), unless it's dirty/bent/dull.
Fractional drills, some of 'em, have been off by .005" recently, but
they
might have been made-for-WallyWorld.

People who need real precision don't use twist drills, of course, for
the final dimensions.

SU7 and tolerances [email protected] Woodworking 6 June 7th 09 05:10 PM
Taper tolerances Wes[_2_] Metalworking 13 August 14th 07 04:45 PM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 04:57 AM
Tolerances poll... Cliff Metalworking 0 December 7th 05 12:17 AM
Starrett tolerances [email protected] Metalworking 2 March 23rd 05 12:01 AM