Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

Don Foreman wrote:

I concluded that you're probably right: I probably don't need a CCW
or to carry a weapon. I always carry a blade but that hardly counts
at my age. Your note logically follows from what I've written in
reason? Holy moley, Ole!

This being so, carrying a pocket .380 now and then is obviously more
than sufficient if perhaps absurd for the likes of me. My petit
carry need not have the one-shot-drop potential of dropping a gorilla
like a sack of doorknobs to accomplish its mission of making spooky
old moi feel a bit safer on the trail.

A .380 looks as big as a nine when pointed at you.

You and I know it is small, to the perp, it looks fairly big.

If it is worth shooting once, empty it in one string.

I've thought about it and if it seems like I have the gun under control, then center of
mass and work up. No one knows until they are under the stress of a real life vs death
shooting situation if they can even hit center of mass.

I have needed a spare tire once in the last 28 or so years. I still carry one.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Old habit - when shooting people, shoot them three times.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:04:09 -0400, Wes wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

I concluded that you're probably right: I probably don't need a CCW
or to carry a weapon. I always carry a blade but that hardly counts
at my age. Your note logically follows from what I've written in
reason? Holy moley, Ole!

This being so, carrying a pocket .380 now and then is obviously more
than sufficient if perhaps absurd for the likes of me. My petit
carry need not have the one-shot-drop potential of dropping a gorilla
like a sack of doorknobs to accomplish its mission of making spooky
old moi feel a bit safer on the trail.

A .380 looks as big as a nine when pointed at you.

..380ACP *is* a nine. 9mm x 17mm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:34:19 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Wed, 09 Sep 2009
19:42:21 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:42:38 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Wed, 09 Sep 2009
06:13:39 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:

So dump SLRN, eh? Or change the display to suit. Linux doesn't
_have_ to be just like good, old DOS, y'know. g

Exactly. I HAVE changed the display to suit. :-)

Sure, I could give it a white background, different
font, etc., and I could make the quoted text light
gray... but this
http://wizard.dyndns.org/slrn.pre1.0.0-11.png
is just familiar, and it makes picking out the new
material SO easy.

Egad, shades of MS-DOS 3.0 and the ElectroShock Therapy BBS!

I guess you'd rather it look like this?
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/gallery/screenshot_03.html

ROTFLMAO! I just finished watching the remake of "The Day The Earth
Stood Still", with Keanu as the lead.

To answer your question, no, not quite.

I'll bet it's heaps faster there than it was on my old 6MHz 286

box with 640k of memory!

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ w/2GB RAM
... so, yeah, maybe a LEETLE bit faster.

Whew, I'm so glad!

Now... the machine that served you those pics is getting
a bit long in the tooth. It's a VIA C3 750MHz with 512MB
RAM. Been going 24/7/365 since early 2002... except for
the occasional power outage that lasted longer than the
UPS, hardware upgrades, etc.
I've got a VIA C7-D 1.5 Ghz, 2GB RAM to replace it.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives...oard/index.jsp
Motherboard w/integrated CPU sniped for $10.50 off
you know where. (shipping included)

I need to replace my old computer once again.

All in five minutes or less (for _each_ message), right?

The server is 6 feet away so more like milliseconds
per message. Desktop to server pings at around 300?s.

Silly literalist!

I've tried just about every other newsreader there
is, and there just ISN'T anything better than slrn.
Exclamation Point. ;-)

Are you saying that you'd put one there _if_ the reader supported
them? snort

It was a jab at a certain liberal who likes to end
his sentences with, Period.
¡¿How's that?!
(if the reader supported them, indeed)

Gotcha!

Actually, that's due to the editor I'm using with it.
I've never found anything I like better than nano.
Which you'd probably also consider to be DOS-like.
If you ever did e-mail in Pine, the nano editor is
very similar Pine's pico editor, only improved.

Yeah, I used to use Pine all the time to fix my email boxes when
spammers would send 8MB files and choke my 5MB box.

Some of us still use Pine by choice! ;-)
Actually, I did use Netscape 3.0x for mail for awhile.
The novelty of graphical/html e-mail very quickly wore
off. Pine in an xterm does just fine thankyouverymuch.
(I suppose I should upgrade to Alpine one of these days.)

I got used to being able to drag and drop with a gui very quickly and
won't soon give it up, especially with HTML email, graphics, etc.

Hey, I still prefer ncurses aumix for controlling the
audio http://wizard.dyndns.org/aumix.png even though
it can take on a lot of different looks.
http://jpj.net/~trevor/aumix/screenshot.html

Man, oh, MAN! Hain't ya ever heerd of Gnome, KDE, or Motif, son?

Motif is what GEOS on the Commodore 64 was based on,
and then PCGEOS later on. For many years I used the
Lesstif look in fvwm2. I happen to use XFCE on this box,
while the FreeBSD machine has Blackbox as its window
manager. At the moment, I have 10 xterms open on
this machine, plus 9 tabs on a firefox, character map,
and an xpdf. 11 xterms on the FreeBSD box, and that's
it; nothing GUI related. What do I need with Gnome or
KDE anyway? Even my wife, who's much more pointy-clicky
oriented than I, is quite happy with XFCE as her Ubuntu
desktop environment.

Good for her.

I'm sure I'll be playing around with the aumix
configs a lot more if a used Megatar Dragon happens to
show up here. ;-)

Ooooooooh! swoon Ye olde coffee biz must be doing well.

Actually, the roaster is in a you-store-it place
20 miles from here... so if hiatus = "doing well"
then that it must be.

You picked up a sugar mama?

You may recall the 12x36 Atlas/Clausing that was
for sale? Of course you do. Well, it did, and through
the miracle of currency, 300+ lbs. of iron will be
magically transmogrified into less than 30 lbs of wood.
Some kinda hellacious overhead involved in magic!!!
(There, threee of 'em for ya)

Bueno. Speaking of wood, I have some taped to my finger tonight. The
swelling has gone down some and I can hear a clicking in that distal
phalange, so I'm guessing it's actually broken. My first broken bone
at age 56...Oh, joy!

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:53:52 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I know the feeling. My left index finger took a hit when I was hammering on a breaker bar
and the oversized wood workers mallet (looks like half a rolling pin) caught the edge of
the fender just enough to deflect my aim from the end of my breaker bar to my hand that
WAS going to be in the clear.

Ouch! I use a Shop Fox urethane mallet. NICE! My wrists thank me.
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-oz-No.../dp/B0006618PO
I'd have used a dead blow on the breaker, though. How's the fender?
titter

Not a mark, except on me. Was a nice shade of purple.

Bueno. (for the fender, anyway)

Cascading waves of pain with reverberation. I thought the finger was broken. Another
couple days and I'll be able to make a fist again.

So, I can say, "I feel your pain" with a straight face.

4 days later it still hurts like hell, but the swelling is going down
and the skin on the top is starting to come up as it heals. I'm still
hoping the nail bed wasn't harmed. The deck/rails/metal cover demo
I'm doing on Friday ought to be interesting. I'll pad the hell out of
it and wear 2 gloves, at least on that hand. Luckily, tearing things
down doesn't take nearly the finess that building 'em requires, so
I'll have an extra week for it to heal.

Hire a kid to do the tear down. I hope the nail bed is okay. So far I'm lucky, in all my
mishaps over the years, I still have all my fingernails and phalanges.

I think I will be, too, but it's too early to tell.

I would have to hire from the labor pool due to insurance and work
comp issues, but the demo should be a piece of cake. 9' pieces of
redwood, 2x4 roof construction, etc. aren't very heavy.

It sure hurts worse than it looks.

At least you are still looking at it attached to you. Your doing better than that elderly
man that met the rabid Obama supporter.

I'm doing better than the guy who owns the deck. He lost 3 fingers on
one hand 2 year ago to his table saw. But mine still hurts.

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
--Ronald Reagan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

I have needed a spare tire once in the last 28 or so years. I still
carry one.

Wes

Old habit - when shooting people, shoot them three times.

If there's only one of them, and you only have a three shooter.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David R.Birch wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

I have needed a spare tire once in the last 28 or so years. I still
carry one.

Wes

Old habit - when shooting people, shoot them three times.

If there's only one of them, and you only have a three shooter.

David

My pistol holds 9 rounds.

And I have a spare clip in the holster.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

.380ACP *is* a nine. 9mm x 17mm.

DAMMIT, I felt like Kurtzing after that mistake.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

The administration didn't have to do
anything at all to curtail availability of ammo and components.

True. Obama's election was the exact cause of some billion dollars of
arms and ammo sales in the USA.

I finally had the funds for a black rifle, and this had to happen.

I bet I can't find a Bushmaster DCM-XR Series Competition A3 Model in Michigan at list. I
have more than enough cash in checking, savings, and my plastic is at zero ballance.

I will not pay a premium to hysteria though. I'm cheap. (Frugal)

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

.380ACP *is* a nine. 9mm x 17mm.

DAMMIT, I felt like Kurtzing after that mistake.

Well, close enough for Gov't work.

9mm = 0.354
9.652mm = 0.380

...but who's quibbling?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff R." wrote in message
Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

.380ACP *is* a nine. 9mm x 17mm.

DAMMIT, I felt like Kurtzing after that mistake.

Well, close enough for Gov't work.

9mm = 0.354
9.652mm = 0.380

..but who's quibbling?

But the actual bullet diameter of a 9 mm is around .355". It's like the .38
Spl., which is within a thousandth of .356. The .380 bullet typically
measures .355.

These are close to the nominal groove diameters, so that doesn't explain the
discrepancy. The best explanation I've heard is that manufacturers often are
"creative" about naming calibers.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 5, 7:21*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

True. *Obama's election was the exact cause of some billion dollars of
arms and ammo sales in the USA.

Bull****. Certain people's crazy thoughts concerning Obama's election
may have caused them to rush out to the ammo store, but Obama didn't
*make* them do it. His election CERTAINLY didn't make them do
anything. I'm not sure how an election could possibly make anyone do
anything. If people bought more ammo, it was because they decided to
do so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff R." wrote in message
Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

.380ACP *is* a nine. 9mm x 17mm.

DAMMIT, I felt like Kurtzing after that mistake.

Well, close enough for Gov't work.

9mm = 0.354
9.652mm = 0.380

..but who's quibbling?

Well, just try putting a .38 special in a .380 Kurz. I love math. It has a
way of keeping things "straight".

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:04:34 +1000, "Jeff R."
wrote:

Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

.380ACP *is* a nine. 9mm x 17mm.

DAMMIT, I felt like Kurtzing after that mistake.

Well, close enough for Gov't work.

9mm = 0.354
9.652mm = 0.380

..but who's quibbling?

..380 is 9mm Kurz, shoots a 9mm bullet.
9mmp aka 9mm Luger or 9x19 also shoots a 9mm bullet, albeit slightly
heavier. I don't know what's .380 about a .380ACP.

38 special, on the other hand, shoots a .357" bullet same as a .357
magnum. (Weights tend to differ)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

.380ACP *is* a nine. 9mm x 17mm.

DAMMIT, I felt like Kurtzing after that mistake.

Well, close enough for Gov't work.

9mm = 0.354
9.652mm = 0.380

..but who's quibbling?

.380 is 9mm Kurz, shoots a 9mm bullet.
9mmp aka 9mm Luger or 9x19 also shoots a 9mm bullet, albeit slightly
heavier. I don't know what's .380 about a .380ACP.

38 special, on the other hand, shoots a .357" bullet same as a .357
magnum. (Weights tend to differ)

I know. I have just found it odd that shells quoted to be .38 and .380 and
such won't fit in some barrels. BTW, I had a Ruger that had a 9mm extra
cylinder.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:04:09 -0400, Wes wrote:

A .380 looks as big as a nine when pointed at you.

You and I know it is small, to the perp, it looks fairly big.

To some ..some perps it looks big. I watched a drugged out perp charge
head long straight at a cocked, aimed ready 12ga.

He nearly stabbed the guy who shot him with it..after he took the hit.

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:33:26 -0400, Wes wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

The administration didn't have to do
anything at all to curtail availability of ammo and components.

True. Obama's election was the exact cause of some billion dollars of
arms and ammo sales in the USA.

I finally had the funds for a black rifle, and this had to happen.

I bet I can't find a Bushmaster DCM-XR Series Competition A3 Model in Michigan at list. I
have more than enough cash in checking, savings, and my plastic is at zero ballance.

I will not pay a premium to hysteria though. I'm cheap. (Frugal)

Wes

Wait till November or December..January at the latest and the prices
will be down pretty near normal.

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:56:39 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Thu, 10 Sep 2009
19:34:40 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:34:19 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

Now... the machine that served you those pics is getting
a bit long in the tooth. It's a VIA C3 750MHz with 512MB
RAM. Been going 24/7/365 since early 2002... except for
the occasional power outage that lasted longer than the
UPS, hardware upgrades, etc.
I've got a VIA C7-D 1.5 Ghz, 2GB RAM to replace it.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives...oard/index.jsp
Motherboard w/integrated CPU sniped for $10.50 off
you know where. (shipping included)

I need to replace my old computer once again.

I like to live at the edge of obsolescence when it
comes to computers. Never buy anything newer than
two years old, and it's pretty much all affordable.

I always buy computers new, but I wait until I know the particular
chipset is tested well before purchase. Like you, I am quite
fskingcheaperthanhell^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^ H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
frugal.

I "win" most of my upgrades from you-know-where, but

I've never trusted the Bay except for brand new components, like the
160GB external drive I got last year for backups.

I did do a custom build through http://ascendtech.com
once. Price wasn't bad at all, and I got what I wanted.
I should also note that what I got wasn't exactly what
I ordered. The CPU was 200Mhz faster, and the DVD-R was
upgraded, so I had a pleasant surprise when I watched
the bootup messages.

Silly literalist!

Hey, when no witty retorts pop to mind, literalist
is the safe way to go. ;-)

Ooooooooh! swoon Ye olde coffee biz must be doing well.

Actually, the roaster is in a you-store-it place
20 miles from here... so if hiatus = "doing well"
then that it must be.

You picked up a sugar mama?

Nah, same one I've had for the last 33 years.

You may recall the 12x36 Atlas/Clausing that was
for sale? Of course you do. Well, it did, and through
the miracle of currency, 300+ lbs. of iron will be
magically transmogrified into less than 30 lbs of wood.
Some kinda hellacious overhead involved in magic!!!
(There, threee of 'em for ya)

Bueno. Speaking of wood, I have some taped to my finger tonight. The
swelling has gone down some and I can hear a clicking in that distal
phalange, so I'm guessing it's actually broken.

I was at the music store today and thought of you
as my eyes ran across the Saxophone splints... er,
reeds.

Yeah. I demoed that deck yesterday and cursed myself for doing so at
least 30 times as the pain almost brought me to my knees when I'd hit
it. I told the guy that after the day's work, I was SURE it's broken
and pleaded for some time to let it heal. I may hire out the work and
just stupidvise it so it gets done before the wet season. We'll see.
My truckbed is full of the teardown and I'm trying to figure out how
best to get it out of there, -without- the pain I experienced getting
it in there. My neighbor wants a chair built from the better of the
old redwood tubasixes. (keeping to the musical tone of the chat)

My first broken bone at age 56...Oh, joy!

You're lucky. I started out at about 4 years old
with a fractured pelvis in a farm accident. Healed up
"fine" at the time, but it came back to seriously haunt
me during the growth spurt years. There have been a
few minor breaks in the ensuing years, toes & fingers,
but never anything that required a cast.

I was taking nose dives off the highchair before age 1 (stitches in
both eyebrows to prove it) Doctors said I "may have cracked" this or
that but x-rays were inconclusive and it was likely just heavy
bruising.

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

These are close to the nominal groove diameters, so that doesn't explain the
discrepancy. The best explanation I've heard is that manufacturers often are
"creative" about naming calibers.

And creating yet another cartridge that serves no purpose other than increasing sales.

If the calibre hasn't been out for over 50 years, I'm not very interested.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

To some ..some perps it looks big. I watched a drugged out perp charge
head long straight at a cocked, aimed ready 12ga.

He nearly stabbed the guy who shot him with it..after he took the hit.

I am so happy that seriously wacked out druggies are not very common around here. I think
having to pay for heating weeds the low lifes out up here.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

On Sep 5, 7:21*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:

True. *Obama's election was the exact cause of some billion dollars of
arms and ammo sales in the USA.

Bull****. Certain people's crazy thoughts concerning Obama's election
may have caused them to rush out to the ammo store, but Obama didn't
*make* them do it. His election CERTAINLY didn't make them do
anything. I'm not sure how an election could possibly make anyone do
anything. If people bought more ammo, it was because they decided to
do so.

I believe there was a run on arms and components when Clinton was elected. I know I was
part of that run.

Clinton pushed through the Assault Rifle Ban which impacted the type of semi automatic
black rifle I'm most interested in.

Obama seems like a smart guy, he saw what happened with Clinton and the '94 midterms. I'm
fairly sure he doesn't want to touch the live wire called gun control but that isn't
because he became a fervent 2nd supporter, it is because he knows it is a third rail of
politics. Touching it is political death.

I'd be making a run on arms and ammo now but I learned to always keep enough on hand.

I think if Obama thought he could get away with further restrictions on the RKBA, he would
go for it. Nothing crazy about my thinking or the thinking of others. We know what the
core of the Democratic party leadership represents. I'm not saying that all Republicans
are right with guns. Some have been just as treacherous as the worst of the Dems.

I have voted Democratic before when the Dem had a better 2nd Amendment record.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

These are close to the nominal groove diameters, so that doesn't explain
the
discrepancy. The best explanation I've heard is that manufacturers often
are
"creative" about naming calibers.

And creating yet another cartridge that serves no purpose other than
increasing sales.

As an old wildcat freak, I used to be one of those who believes there are
never enough cartridges. g For example, a K-Hornet is great out to maybe
175 years, and a .222 is good to 225, but what do you do if most of the
groundhogs are in between? sigh...

If the calibre hasn't been out for over 50 years, I'm not very interested.

Well, I'm with you there. If the cartridge hasn't been around for at least
50 years, I don't own a gun that will shoot it. d8-)

That is, except for my Ruger SSM, in .32 H&R Magnum. I don't know the date
for that one but it must be after 1980.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:34:29 -0400, Wes wrote:

I think if Obama thought he could get away with further restrictions on the RKBA, he would
go for it. Nothing crazy about my thinking or the thinking of others. We know what the
core of the Democratic party leadership represents. I'm not saying that all Republicans
are right with guns. Some have been just as treacherous as the worst of the Dems.

I have voted Democratic before when the Dem had a better 2nd Amendment record.

Wes

From November, to the middle of last month..EACH month there were aprox
1.5 MILLION firearms sold...each month.

thats for the previous 8 months.

Thats 12 Million firearms,, new firearms for the most part..with a huge
huge number of them being AR-15 clones, AK clones etc etc...military
weapons.

Ammo still is being purchaed by case lots.

Go to Kmart, Walmart, any gun store..and look at the huge empty spaces
where ammo used to be stored for sale.

About the only thing you will find is AA trap loads.

And the rest of us..have lots and lots and lots of ammo on hand.

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

The only new round I support is the .357 Max in my TC Contender and
that's only because it had that barrel when I bought it. Case lots of
that round are NOT available.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

These are close to the nominal groove diameters, so that doesn't explain
the
discrepancy. The best explanation I've heard is that manufacturers often
are
"creative" about naming calibers.

And creating yet another cartridge that serves no purpose other than
increasing sales.

As an old wildcat freak, I used to be one of those who believes there are
never enough cartridges. g For example, a K-Hornet is great out to maybe
175 years, and a .222 is good to 225, but what do you do if most of the
groundhogs are in between? sigh...

The .22 K-Hornet seems interesting. Uncle bought a rifle at a gun show that he thought
was a good one. Well, he ended up relining it and tried to get away with using a .22 RF
liner. That didn't work out. Not enough wall. Ended up with a bubble in chamber and hard
extraction.

He gave it to me as he was disgusted by how much time, money and effort he put into it.

I've considered putting the right diameter liner and turning it into a K-Hornet, I've also
considered it a pretty expensive job for a gun with little sentimental value.

Rebarreling isn't an option, it is an old Savage where the barrel / reciever is a single
unit.

I may get the desire to do some gunhacking and do something with it.

If the calibre hasn't been out for over 50 years, I'm not very interested.

Well, I'm with you there. If the cartridge hasn't been around for at least
50 years, I don't own a gun that will shoot it. d8-)

That is, except for my Ruger SSM, in .32 H&R Magnum. I don't know the date
for that one but it must be after 1980.

I believe it is. You just plinking or are you bunny busting? If you reload, it seems
like a fun plinker with some small game use.

If I had one, I'd load up a bunch of cast bullets (hand cast) and have a blast shooting
steel plates on the cheap. The plates at the club need a double tap to get a fall over
using .22 RF.

As it is, I use my Bersa 95 in .380 shooting a Lee 102g cast bullet for cheap plate
shooting. It is sorta like fishing, use small tackle, small fish feel big, use small guns
and small calibers feel big.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 07:30:20 -0500, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

New round? Ive got a Savage 24-D in .357 Remington Maximum over 20ga
Mag and have had it for...hummm nearly 20 yrs.

Of course the TC barrel in 357 Max I bought about 10 yrs ago is
newer....

Whats your favorite load with 150-158 JHPs?

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=121

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 13:17:50 -0600, "SteveB" wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:44:05 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Stuff snipped. I like my Keltec 3AT because it is very pocketable. Yes, it
does not have the knockdown power of a larger bullet, but IIRC, lots of
people have been killed by .380 slugs. A guy locally who teaches carry
permit classes carries a Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel in a shoulder
harness. Dissed my Keltec big time. Half the people out there can't hit
**** anyway no matter what the caliber, shotguns excluded. I shot 288/300
on qualifying, so I think I could poke a hole in someone if I needed to.

Stopping them from harming you means that you have to damage them enough
NOW to cause them to cease whatever bad thing it is that they are doing
to you...

Hell, old mobsters liked the .22's.

Ayup...when pressed against the back of their victims skull and fired
several times. Seldom for being involved in a fire fight.

You guys carry whatever you feel comfy with. Shrug. Ive been involved
in a number of shootings, military and law enforcement...and unless one
opponent is unaware of the danger..or is scared powerless...Ive seen far
far too many people suck up rounds and keep on coming.

But hey...as long as your will is up to date..carry whatever you wish.
Perhaps one of those tiny little North American 22 short revolvers in
your front pants pockets is even more comfortable?

Steve

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 19:24:32 -0600, "SteveB" wrote:

news

wrote:

Stuff snipped. I like my Keltec 3AT because it is very pocketable. Yes,
it
does not have the knockdown power of a larger bullet, but IIRC, lots of
people have been killed by .380 slugs. A guy locally who teaches carry
permit classes carries a Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel in a shoulder
harness. Dissed my Keltec big time. Half the people out there can't hit
**** anyway no matter what the caliber, shotguns excluded. I shot 288/300
on qualifying, so I think I could poke a hole in someone if I needed to.
Hell, old mobsters liked the .22's.

Steve

Ayup...mobsters like the 22, particularly when held at the proper point
at the back of the skull and the round fired. A decent knitting needle
does an equivelant job when employed the same way.

If you sneak up on an individual, and shoot him square in the side of
the head with a .380 you will likely kill him. Same if you shoot him
smack dab into the heart, when he is not expecting it. Shooting him
while he is asleep is also good with a .380, as long as you hit a
terminally conclusive zone and you have him pinned down.

On the other hand....most of the individuals you will encounter on the
street are already phyched up, and are in Attack mode. They may have a
nervous system boosted/twisted by illegal chemical agents such as
methamphetamine, PCP, heroin and so forth.

In such cases..,you are not shooting Granny in her rocking chair half
asleep. You are shooting a generally young, vicious animal who intends
to do you harm and with no finess or class or grace, who is likely to be
hyped up on drugs or adrenaline.

Shrug...yes..someone made the case that many thousands of people in
europe died from being shot by the .380. This of course runs along with
the fact that many Hundreds of thousands were shot with the 380, and
damned few of them died in any reasonable period of time..and
frankly...a large number of them were shot in the back of the neck while
handcuffed. Shrug..facts o life.

But go ahead, carry what you are comfortable with. Such is your Right.
And lets hope that you never ever need to use it and if Crom forbid..the
badguy runs away after being shot repeatedly. Rather than runs at you.

Shrug....me..Im a realist and Im going to continue carrying a proper
tool for the job. While driving 16 penny nails..Ill not be using a
jewelers hammer, but a nice corregated face framing hammer. Designed to
do the job without any muss nor fuss. Shrug

One can pull a 20' travel trailer with a Yugo as well. But...it really
doesnt do the job as well as a 3/4 ton pickup truck, does it?

Gunner

What is your gun of choice for carry? Mine is a Mod 60 S&W .357 stainless
w/2" barrel on a Safari paddle holster..

For daily carry...I USUALLY have a modified AMT DAO .45 about my person,
with a Series 70 that Ive carried about for well over 30 yrs, close to
hand, or on me.

When out in the desert..its either a 4" S&W 586..or more recently...and
becoming more fond of it..is a 4" S&W 57, in .41 mag.

Shrug..those are my "normal" everyday weapons..and Im Never far from a
center fire rifle. Typically when out in the World..its a #4 SMLE thats
a bit modified..sporterized and accurized. In more troublesome
areas...its something a bit more potent at range.

Shrug

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 05:09:00 -0700, "azotic" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
Fair enough. When you feel the Need to carry...carry something a bit
better than a .380...ok? Id hate to read the crime report and find out
you pumped a full magazine into the perp and he still cut out your
heart.

Respects

Gunner

If the only resource at hand is a .380 at the moment of need, think
knee caps not body mass. Then simply outrun the perp.

Best Regards
Tom.

Assuming you can outrun his bullets..before he bleeds out.