Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Milling a V-groove

What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

if you can stand a 90 deg angle, just use an end mill and tilt the head or
the work. For 60 or 45, use a dovetail cutter (and tilt the work or head)

"Frank J Warner" wrote in message
news:150820090827340286%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Frank J Warner" wrote in message
news:150820090827340286%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

Assuming you are using something like a Bridgeport to cut the grooves, you
can either use an end mill, or a dove tail cutting end mill (if you don't
want to tilt the head 45 degrees), or an arbor with a V shaped radial cutter
like a heavy rotary saw blade. You can easily cut a groove and/or radius
with a radial cutter, without tiling the Mill's head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:04:30 -0700, the infamous "Steve Lusardi"
scrawled the following:

This is a piece of cake with a horizontal mill and the appropriate cutter.
Steve

"Frank J Warner" wrote in message news:150820090827340286%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Will these be flattened for use as a thumb rest, Frank?

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

Pre-amateur miller me agrees with Steve that a horz mill will work
best in this case due to the angles involved. I don't recall seeing
too many sharply angled vert mill cutters.

--
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Something like this: TinyURL.com/nyodas

I have seen them angled both ways.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-16, Tim wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:04:30 -0700, the infamous "Steve Lusardi"
scrawled the following:

This is a piece of cake with a horizontal mill and the appropriate cutter.

[ ... ]

Pre-amateur miller me agrees with Steve that a horz mill will work
best in this case due to the angles involved. I don't recall seeing
too many sharply angled vert mill cutters.

Something like this: TinyURL.com/nyodas

I have seen them angled both ways.

There are also some made to cut both sides of a 'V' at once.
Or, you can mount a LH and a RH one face to face on an arbor to get your
'V' in a single pass.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 15, 11:27*am, Frank J Warner
wrote:
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:http://www.franksknives.com

There are a variety of ways to do this including the ones mentioned
above. If your father was an old time machinist, maybe he had
metalworking shaper If you have one of these, it’s easy to grind a
single point tool bit to match the profile that you need and index the
table manually to get the desired pattern.
Here’s a shaper in action to give you some idea of what they can do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7usJq7Qlhk

If you don’t have a shaper, it could be an opportunity to acquire a
new metalworking tool!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't see the original post, so I'll throw some comments in here.

You don't mention what the cuts are for, a secure thumb grip on the back of
a blade, or to actually create a saw blade.
I suppose there will be some heat treatment after all the machining and
handcraft work has been completed.

A vertical mill can be used if the blade is held vertically, and then you
would want to cut a single groove/notch, and then advance the Z axis to the
next point for the next groove/cut.

For using a V cutter on a vertical mill, you could choose a shell arbor to
hold the V cutter disk.
If the grooved area to be cut is straight, you could utilize several V
cutters combined with some precision spacers.

If the grooved area is an arc, you're probably limited to cutting one groove
at a time, unless you could build (or have made) a custom tool from several
different diameters of V cutters on a shell arbor.

A more method might involve drilling a line/series of small holes which
would become the valleys of the grooved area.
A die filer would be handy for the finishing work, and careful cutting on a
bandsaw could be helpful in removing the bulk of the waste material.
A cut-off abrasive disk could be a substitute for the bandsaw.

The drilling method would allow the notches/grooves to be arranged in convex
arcs, if that would be desired. I've seen numerous knife blades where the
thumb notches are along a convex arc.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Frank J Warner" wrote in message
news:150820090827340286%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing
these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Frank J Warner wrote:
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

If these are 90 degree Vees, you can tilt the head of many machines like
a Bridgeport, and then do it with a conventional square-end end mill.
If other than 90 degree, then you need a chamfering mill with that angle
on the point.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 17, 3:40*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
Frank J Warner wrote:
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

I would tape a thin plate to the vise jaw at the proper angle to guide
the blade and make a spring stop from an old hacksaw blade to index on
the tooth just cut. If the blade and tang is too long for the vise,
attach the angled guide to a thick upright plate and reclamp the blade
after cutting each tooth. An endmill for 90 degrees or a dovetail
cutter for 60 in a vertical mill should work well enough, especially
if you saw out most of the notch first to reduce the workload on the
cutter.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Frank J Warner wrote:
[...]

Jon- Hide quoted text -

Or maybe a dovetail cutter which you can also tilt, to get less than
90 degrees.

Which would be much better than a chamfering mill. Chamfering end
mills are made to cut on their sides, and don't do so well at the
point.

An angle cutter mounted on an arbor in a horizontal mill would be
ideal.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Frank J
Warner wrote:

What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

Thanks for all the ideas. I have a mini mill. The head tilts so I can
use a conventional end mill to cut these notches. I had a d'oh moment
and this very simple solution didn't occur to me until several of you
pointed it out.

Yes, these are going to be thumb rests/grips on the tang of a razor. I
do not want to machine them fully, but I want the spacing to be
absolutely regular, so I am just going to start them with the end mill.
The finished notches will be shaped with needle files and such.

Thanks again, guys.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work: