DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine) (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/282403-unknown-thread-standard-italian-coffee-machine.html)

Nicht die Bohne July 15th 09 10:09 AM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

Hello everyone!

I restore vintage espresso machines and right now I have one machine
with really strange threads, which are used on pipe connections. The
machine was manufactured in Italy in the 50s. Here are some examples:

TPI 20 diameter 14.9mm = 0.5866"
TPI 20 diameter 19.25mm = 0.7578"
TPI 16 diameter 20.25mm = 0.7972"
TPI 16 diameter 22.8mm = 0.8976"
TPI 16 diameter 27.7mm = 1.0905"

Does anyone know what kind of threads it might be?

Many thanks,
Julius

Buerste July 15th 09 01:23 PM

It's "IBT" standard. (Italian ******* Thread)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 15th 09 01:32 PM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

"Buerste" fired this volley in news:zSj7m.16491
:

It's "IBT" standard. (Italian ******* Thread)

Yeah... they used that standard on Fiats until the late 1990s.

Then they changed everyting over to Quasi-Metric Standard Hungarian
Industrial Threads. (Quasi-metric S.H.I.T.)

LLoyd

RoyJ July 15th 09 03:15 PM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

I have a table originally compiled by Andy Pugh that covers about 520
standard threads in the following thread systems and did not get a hit.
Good luck!!:

BA = British association. CEI = Cycle Engineers Institute.
ADM = Admiralty. M = ISO Metric. Whit = Whitworth.
UNF/UNC = Unified national Fine/Coarse. BSF = British Standard Fine.
W.INS = Whitworth Instrument. W.Pipe = Whitworth Pipe Thread
Brass = Brass thread. PROG = Progress Thread.
BSP = British Standard Pipe Thread. WALTH = Waltham Thread
PEND = Watch Pendant Thread. GAS = Gas (Brass Pipe) Thread
THURY = Swiss Screw Thread. ASME = ASME Thread.
HOLTZ= Holtzapfels Threads. LOEW = Loewenhertz Threads.
SPARK = Spark Plug Threads. Elgin = Elgin watch screw threads (L = left
hand thread)
CROWN = Watch crown threads. BUTTON = Watch button threads
COND = Steel conduit thread (DIN 40430)

Nicht die Bohne July 15th 09 05:11 PM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

That means it might be a custom made thread? Thanks for your research
Lloyd!! I also have already checked several websites with thread
standards and couldn't find anything. But your table seems to include
even more standards.

Julius

Nicht die Bohne July 15th 09 05:13 PM

Buerste wrote:
"Nicht die Bohne" wrote in message
Hello everyone!

I restore vintage espresso machines and right now I have one machine
with really strange threads, which are used on pipe connections. The
machine was manufactured in Italy in the 50s. Here are some examples:

TPI 20 diameter 14.9mm = 0.5866"
TPI 20 diameter 19.25mm = 0.7578"
TPI 16 diameter 20.25mm = 0.7972"
TPI 16 diameter 22.8mm = 0.8976"
TPI 16 diameter 27.7mm = 1.0905"

Does anyone know what kind of threads it might be?

Many thanks,
Julius

It's "IBT" standard. (Italian ******* Thread)

That means it might be a custom made thread? Thanks for your research
Roy!! I also have already checked several websites with thread

steamer July 15th 09 05:23 PM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

--Dollars to donuts some one guy was crankin' out these machines in
a shop with a weird lathe and weird feed ratios.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...

F. George McDuffee July 15th 09 06:41 PM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 02:09:19 -0700 (PDT), Nicht die Bohne
wrote:

Hello everyone!

I restore vintage espresso machines and right now I have one machine
with really strange threads, which are used on pipe connections. The
machine was manufactured in Italy in the 50s. Here are some examples:

TPI 20 diameter 14.9mm = 0.5866"
TPI 20 diameter 19.25mm = 0.7578"
TPI 16 diameter 20.25mm = 0.7972"
TPI 16 diameter 22.8mm = 0.8976"
TPI 16 diameter 27.7mm = 1.0905"

Does anyone know what kind of threads it might be?

Many thanks,
Julius

========
While this may not be *THE* answer, it is "A" answer.

During the time period immediatly after WW2 many surplus INCH
standard lathes were sent overseas as part of the post-war
reconstruction effort.

In many cases the parts these produced were ******* metric/inch
as you describe with inch threads but metric
diameters/lengths/thread forms, with the inch thread selected as
close as possible to the metric size.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

N Morrison July 15th 09 07:05 PM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

On Jul 15, 10:41*am, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:

In many cases the parts these produced were ******* metric/inch
as you describe with inch threads but metric
diameters/lengths/thread forms, with the inch thread selected as
close as possible to the metric size.

Yes. Consider BA - used by the Brits for years but actually metric!

[email protected] July 15th 09 09:53 PM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

On Jul 15, 3:09*am, Nicht die Bohne
wrote:
Hello everyone!

I restore vintage espresso machines and right now I have one machine
with really strange threads, which are used on pipe connections. The
machine was manufactured in Italy in the 50s. Here are some examples:

TPI 20 *diameter 14.9mm = 0.5866"
TPI 20 *diameter 19.25mm * * * *= 0.7578"
TPI 16 *diameter 20.25mm * * * *= 0.7972"
TPI 16 *diameter 22.8mm = 0.8976"
TPI 16 *diameter 27.7mm = 1.0905"

Does anyone know what kind of threads it might be?

Many thanks,
Julius

Hand-chased by some guy on a treadle lathe? You don't NEED dies or
taps to cut threads, they do help to make interchangeable parts,
though. If it's got that hand-made, one-off look, it might have been
done that way.

Stan

Chas[_3_] July 16th 09 09:03 AM

Unknown thread standard (italian coffee machine)

Are you sure they are actually 20 TPI and 16 TPI ? These are very close to
a pitch of 1.25 mm and 1.5 mm respectively. Just a left field idea, but is
it possible the pipes are specified for their nominal bore size rather than
OD, similar to the BSP system. Someone in Italy must know.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)