Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Did a little Don Foreman style project today

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice. Pleasing shape.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:36:46 -0500, Ignoramus3171
wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-11, JR North wrote:
Nice. Pleasing shape.

Thanks. Red hot iron, for some reason, bends extremely gracefully,
compared to everything else that I have ever bent. I do not really
comprehend why that is so.

wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 17:49:36 -0500, Ignoramus3171

On 2009-07-11, JR North wrote:
Nice. Pleasing shape.

Thanks. Red hot iron, for some reason, bends extremely gracefully,
compared to everything else that I have ever bent. I do not really
comprehend why that is so.

It does look nice. Maybe the difference between viscous flow and
yield point exceeded? Anyway, it worked.

Pete Keillor

wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/

Very nicely done, Ig. I hope the screw affixing the knob is
shop-made with lathe-cut threads? G

Knice knurls. Doncha loveit when they turn out so nice?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3171 wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/

You are getting good use out of your forge. Using a 8pt easily dealt with the likely
square shaft. I like it!

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-11, JR North wrote:
Nice. Pleasing shape.

Thanks. Red hot iron, for some reason, bends extremely gracefully,
compared to everything else that I have ever bent. I do not really
comprehend why that is so.

I learned that if I let butter warm up to room temperature, I can spread
it on bread easier.

Maybe iron wrenches are like butter?

Where can I get iron wrenches? I only have steel ones, and they do not
bend nicely when red hot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus3171 wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/

You are getting good use out of your forge. Using a 8pt easily dealt with the likely
square shaft. I like it!

This forge, as it turns out, is a godsend. Very convenient.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-11, JR North wrote:
Nice. Pleasing shape.

Thanks. Red hot iron, for some reason, bends extremely gracefully,
compared to everything else that I have ever bent. I do not really
comprehend why that is so.

I learned that if I let butter warm up to room temperature, I can spread
it on bread easier.

Maybe iron wrenches are like butter?

Jokes aside, butter is a good example.

You cannot bend butter as nicely as you can bend hot iron, no matter if
the butter is cold or warm, it will not bend nicely.

You can try this right in your apartment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 11, 5:36*pm, Ignoramus3171
wrote:
This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/

Very nice to have an "I made it myself" tool that you will use often.
Congratulations.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one. The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a 1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...-Crank-Handle/

Very NICELY done!! Bravo!

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table

on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one.

The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a

1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing

shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I

bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...able-Crank-Han

dle/

Very NICELY done!! Bravo!

Gunner

So tell us how you mounted the knurled knob shaft to the
wrench.....
threads? press fit? silver solder? curious minds want to
know.....
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a handle for my rotary table. The original table

on it is very
small and inconvenient and I always wanted a better one.

The knurled
knob on the handle rotates freely. It is made out of a

1/2" Armstrong
wrench, which I had to bend to provide a more pleasing

shape and
clearance to clear various obstructions on the table. I

bent this
wrench red hot, which accounts for nice curvature.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...able-Crank-Han

dle/

Very NICELY done!! Bravo!

Gunner... Thanks a lot... I value your opinion on this sort of stuff.

So tell us how you mounted the knurled knob shaft to the
wrench.....
threads? press fit? silver solder? curious minds want to
know.....
phil

I drilled and tapped the hole, however I tapped it only partially, so
the bolt locked up when its tip reached the bottom of the hole. It is
very tight now, it could be removed with a screwdriver with quite a
bit of effort, but it will not budge from merely using the knob on the
handle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...Table-Crank-Ha

dle/

Very NICELY done!! Bravo!

Gunner... Thanks a lot... I value your opinion on this

sort of stuff.

So tell us how you mounted the knurled knob shaft to the
wrench.....
threads? press fit? silver solder? curious minds want to
know.....
phil

I drilled and tapped the hole, however I tapped it only

partially, so
the bolt locked up when its tip reached the bottom of the

hole. It is
very tight now, it could be removed with a screwdriver

with quite a
bit of effort, but it will not budge from merely using the

knob on the
handle.

Fit, Form, Function, eih? Good enough..........;))