Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:51:29 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:29:21 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?

Someone here just failed Reading Comprehension 101...

He's talking raw or bare bullets, not finished live ammunition. A
conical or truncated chunk of lead and possibly a copper jacket, with
a swage on the blunt end where it seats in the case. Nothing to go
bang.

The bullets and empty cases, no problem. Primers and powder, now you
can start talking about shipping Hazardous Materials.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a
conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?

He's not shipping live ammo , he's shipping slugs . It doesn't become live
ammo until it's assembled into a cartridge case with powder and a primer .
--
Snag
It's called

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-11, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Let the Record show that "DoN. Nichols" on or
about 11 Jul 2009 00:25:47 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Anyway -- they were pure (soft) lead.

You probably want pure lead too, as alloys kept under water are
likely to be differentially etched by the water -- especially if it is
at all acidic.

The question comes to mind - if I put a lead alloy in sea water,
and it is "differentially etched", which is differentially etched away
- the lead or the alloying material? Can I take this mess and refine
it to recover the pure lead?

I guess that it mostly depends on what the alloying material is.
I think that the alloying metal will go first in most cases, but I'm not
sure.

But it probably won't work in too deep too quickly -- just turn
the outer layer into lead sponge until that gets crushed and you get
another turn at etching.

Is it possible to "unalloy" an alloy at "home" (for whatever
definition of "home".

The easier it was to alloy, probably the more difficult to
"unalloy". I could see things like an acid which will eat both, though
one slower than the other, and then adding another chemical to
precipitate out only one metal. Then you have to figure out how to
remove the acidic ions and be left with just the lead which you want.

Harold would have good advice if one of the metals were a
precious metal (e.g. gold or silver) but I don't know what he knows
about lead alloys.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb writes:

https://www.prioritymail.com/about_priority_mail.asp?id=17097589&ssno=27843

They have always weighed ever scrap of paper I've ever mailed.
Down to the 1/100th of an ounce.

They are going to have an entire litter of kittens if we try mailing ballast!

I stuffed a box full of ST19171WC drives and they took it....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb writes:

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Melt down wheel weights from the scrap buckets at the tire store.

They have figured that one out and recycle now!

You may have to slip them some cash, but the recycling prices are a bargain
for you the buyer.

Last time I bought tires at BJs they told me they couldn't sell them to me
because they didn't collect them, they put them in the trash!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch writes:

Last time I bought tires at BJs they told me they couldn't sell them
to me because they didn't collect them, they put them in the trash!

Oops, by "them" I mean the used lead wheel balancing weights, not the
tires.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?

Bullets are inert bits of metal. A round of live ammo is comprised
of a bullet, a cartridge case, powder propellant and a primer. The
primer is the little cap that makes a round "go off" when struck by a
firing pin. The primer ignites the propellant powder which then
creates pressure in the chamber sufficient to push and accelerate the
bullet down the bore and on its way. Peak pressures vary from
25,000 psig to over 65,000 psig per specifications for various
calibers and configurations.

Oddly enough, boxes of ready-to-shoot live ammo containing both
powder and primer in every round may be shipped regular UPS but jars
of powder and/orboxes of primers carry a stiff HAZMAT surcharge. Go
figure, eh?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:36:38 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Hey Richard,

I can't believe that in the 20 odd replies, nobody bothered to mention
how GREAT the boat looks. BRISTOL!!

How much list are you seeing, and are you sure it's "ballast" you
need? Try some bags of water as a test.

I guess you could just always run only on starboard tack so your
weight helps out, or get bigger rail-meat.

Stow more "stuff" under the starboard berths/settee(s)

Put that extra water tank on the starboard side and pipe it over, and
make a simple transfer method to assist, maybe even a seawater bladder
that you can fill while running. I think that the MacGregor 26 uses
some sort of transferable water-ballast, but I've never seen it.

And a further comment about the compass "location". You can't swing a
compass to get it correct unless it is stable in place. That's why
most of the type I see on your moving panel are visible 360 degrees,
and made to be mounted in the companionway bulkhead so it is visible
from both the cockpit and the cabin. And in 4 foot sea's, best that
it is mounted so it can't whip around.

Keep any absolutely required ballast low and close to centre, or cant
the keel.

Beautiful boat, or did I mention that ?!?!

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Past Commodore LMYC.
Bothwell, Ontario.

Bless you Brian!

It's 3 am and I just now got home from a moonlight sail tonight.
So that was a nice post to find!

The list is noticeable if you look.
I can go stand on the starboard rail and level the boat.

The reason for the list is because all the heavy stuff is concentrated
on the port side.

We have a head, holding tank, water tank, and water heater, fuel tank, and
motor over there. (and the two batteries are slightly to port.

I've decided to simply remove the water heater as it takes up a
lot of room in that locker, is heavy by itself and hold another 6 gallons
(call is 48 pounds) of water. It's also over 4 feet from the center line.
That alone would be a 4000 to 5000 inch pound correction.

The motor should have been installed to starboard.
90 pounds, nearly 3 feet off center is 3200 moments (pound inches).
Moving it to the other side would be 6400 moment correction - a big step in
the right direction!

But it's not that simple.
The back stay would have to swap sides too.
And the motor control box would have to be changed.
Control cables rerouted, etc.

A few bars of pure gold on the starboard beam could work real well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?

Someone here just failed Reading Comprehension 101...

More like sentence construction. It would have been far more clear to
state "ammunition components", or "bullets for reloading".

He's talking raw or bare bullets, not finished live ammunition. A
conical or truncated chunk of lead and possibly a copper jacket, with
a swage on the blunt end where it seats in the case. Nothing to go
bang.

The bullets and empty cases, no problem. Primers and powder, now you
can start talking about shipping Hazardous Materials.

Yes, then that would be fine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm well aware of the components, I have a reloading bench myself. Your
post wasn't especially clear that you were talking about components, not
completed. It was also a long day yesterday...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hmm.... USPS box sizes...

12" * 12" * 5.5" = 30.48 cm * 30.48 * 13.97 = 930 cc

930cc * 11.34 g/cc = 147,176 g == 324 lbs...

That seems too heavy to me but .......

In any case, it's cheaper than FedEx!

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?

Bullets are inert bits of metal. A round of live ammo is comprised
of a bullet, a cartridge case, powder propellant and a primer.

I had no luck explaining that to a TSA employee on my first air travel
after 911 when I plumb forgot that the "fob" on my key ring had for
quite a while been a .357 magnum shell and bullet, sans powder and
primer, with a short piece of ball chain coming out of the primer pocket
hole joining it to the keys. I must have gone through airport security
with it at least a hundred times before 911.

When I tossed my keys into the basket the "ammo" got spotted and I had
to give it up or miss my flight. No biggie, as it didn't have any
particular special meaning to me, 'twas just something I'd picked up at
a gift shop years before. And I'd long ago learned the futility of
trying to reason with someone in "positional authority" who has limited
knowledge of the subject at hand.

It was a little different earlier this year when traffic was slow at the
Portland, Oregon airport and I got tagged for a "full inspection" by a
TSA guy. He really tore into the stuff in my carryon bag and in the
depths of my Dopp kit he spotted a tiny pearl handled pocketknife with a
single blade fully 7/8 inch long. It had belonged to my dad, and I'd
inherited it when he passed away 31 years ago and then completely
forgotten about putting it in my travel gear back then. I couldn't see
letting it get tossed out, so I spent $12 at the handy "mailing machine"
located right next to the table my bag was being inspected on and had
the "weapon" mailed back to our home.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

snipped
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Gold??? Too expensive. Try U238. Or mercury.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:37:12 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Hmm.... USPS box sizes...

12" * 12" * 5.5" = 30.48 cm * 30.48 * 13.97 = 930 cc

930cc * 11.34 g/cc = 147,176 g == 324 lbs...

That seems too heavy to me but .......

In any case, it's cheaper than FedEx!

They have a limit of 70 lb per box. That'd be about 2200 .45
bullets, a bit less than 3000 .40S&W bullets, or a bit more than
4200 9mm bullets. I usually order 1000 at a time so my parcels
aren't all that heavy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?

Someone here just failed Reading Comprehension 101...

More like sentence construction. It would have been far more clear to
state "ammunition components", or "bullets for reloading".

There's nothing ambiguous about the term "bullet". If one said
(redundantly) "bullets for reloading", those who confuse "bullet"
with "round", "cartridge" or "unit of ammunition" could still be
confused as in "how do I reload my pistol with those little lead
thingies? They won't stay put in the magazine! "

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Do you refer to completed rounds as "bullets" as in "gimme some
bullets so I can reload my gun"? Perhaps it's a regional
colloquialism that I was unaware of. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I generally refer to it as "ammo", but I've heard plenty of folks refer
to it as "bullets".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman writes:

They have a limit of 70 lb per box.

Wimps!

So the small box holds 31 lbs and costs $4.95,
the medium 70# at 10.35, the large 70 @ 13.65

At 15c/lb, I guess the medium size wins...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Richard J Kinch on or
about Sun, 12 Jul 2009 00:44:58 -0500 did write/type or cause to
Richard J Kinch writes:

Last time I bought tires at BJs they told me they couldn't sell them
to me because they didn't collect them, they put them in the trash!

Oops, by "them" I mean the used lead wheel balancing weights, not the
tires.

Accckk! I'm appalled at two levels. One the Ecologist in me
doesn't like the idea of lead getting into the "refuse stream", and
two, the Scot in me doesn't like to see something 'useful' just tossed
away.
Maybe you can make them an offer to haul the lead away, "cheap".
Or free of charge. And avoid having the EPA descend upon them in all
their Righteous Environmentalism fervor.

pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
I have a friend who is selling a lot of lead ingots - we have been shipping
them in flat rate boxes (60 pounds in a box) - linotype alloy and monotype
seems to be the most desired (apparently used to make bullets), but he has a
lot of 25 pound ingots. If you find my email from my web page
(wbnoble.com), I'll pass on his phone number and you can see what
arrangements you can make - so far, we've been getting between $1.25 and
$1.50 per pound depending on the alloy

I think I've got this worked out.
I found a fork lift shop that says they have some scrap.
Will go down there thursday and see what they have.

Thanks alla yall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , cavelamb
wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Listing to port simply means moving your liquor cabinet to the
starboard side of the galley.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Frank Warner wrote:
In article , cavelamb
wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Listing to port simply means moving your liquor cabinet to the
starboard side of the galley.

-Frank

That works for a while, but by the end of the evening we are all leaning
to port again! Go figure...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:36:38 -0500, cavelamb wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

If you can afford 250 pounds of gold, then just buy a cruise
ship and be done with it. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:10:52 -0500, Ignoramus21207
wrote:

Many years ago, I brought home a bucket full of lead bullet remnants,
from a gun range. The price then was next to nothing, actually $3. I
would suggest to call local gun ranges and tell them that you are
looking for lead. You would need to smelt it, of course, and dispose
of coppery stuff in a safe and legal way. (I just had to say it!)

actually..wheel weights from the local tire places are cheaper. And make
better bullets, fishing weights and sinkers

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:05:17 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

I have a friend who is selling a lot of lead ingots - we have been shipping
them in flat rate boxes (60 pounds in a box) - linotype alloy and monotype
seems to be the most desired (apparently used to make bullets), but he has a
lot of 25 pound ingots. If you find my email from my web page
(wbnoble.com), I'll pass on his phone number and you can see what
arrangements you can make - so far, we've been getting between $1.25 and
$1.50 per pound depending on the alloy

Linotype???? PERK!!!!

Email me at gunner at lightspeed dot net with pricing for linotype. Im
almost out of it and would need at least 100 or more pounds.

Gunner

"cavelamb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Many years ago, I brought home a bucket full of lead bullet remnants,
from a gun range. The price then was next to nothing, actually $3. I
would suggest to call local gun ranges and tell them that you are
looking for lead. You would need to smelt it, of course, and dispose
of coppery stuff in a safe and legal way. (I just had to say it!)

actually..wheel weights from the local tire places are cheaper. And make
better bullets, fishing weights and sinkers

Gunner

NObody trashes lead anymore.
they ALL recycle.

Hells bells, Guns,
Pb is roughly $2 a pound!

When I was a kid I collected pop bottles for a lot less than that!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Many years ago, I brought home a bucket full of lead bullet remnants,
from a gun range. The price then was next to nothing, actually $3. I
would suggest to call local gun ranges and tell them that you are
looking for lead. You would need to smelt it, of course, and dispose
of coppery stuff in a safe and legal way. (I just had to say it!)

actually..wheel weights from the local tire places are cheaper. And make
better bullets, fishing weights and sinkers

Gunner

NObody trashes lead anymore.
they ALL recycle.

Hells bells, Guns,
Pb is roughly $2 a pound!

When I was a kid I collected pop bottles for a lot less than that!

In my late teens, we gathered up the pop bottles in the back seat to
trade for gas to "cruise the strip" on Saturday night!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada