DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Motor rewinding cost (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/282101-motor-rewinding-cost.html)

Ignoramus21207 July 10th 09 08:18 PM

Motor rewinding cost

I have this electric powered pressure washer that I want to fix. At
this time, it appears (from talking to the tech of the airport that
got rid of it) that the motor has an internal short. I would want to
confirm this first, but let's assume for a moment that this is the
case. The two obvious alternatives are buying a new motor or
rewinding.

The motor is "6 HP" (sic), 3450 RPM, 182T frame, single phase motor,
23 amps IIRC.

The best local quote that I got for rewinding this motor is $339. Is
this in a reasonable ballpark or should I look harder?

I will try to test this machine during the weekend.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] July 10th 09 08:42 PM

Motor rewinding cost

Ignoramus21207 fired this volley
in :

The best local quote that I got for rewinding this motor is $339. Is
this in a reasonable ballpark or should I look harder?

That's more than you'd pay for a new-old-stock motor on Ebay, even
including shipping.

Motor rewinders are scarce these days, and their work is usually
expensive unless you compare it to the cost of specialty or very large
motors -- then they become pretty economical. Run-of-the-mill utility
motors are usually too inexpensive to be worth it.

(sigh... we finally lost our only rewinder in a five city circle from
here. He got old, and finally retired. Nobody to take up the trade,
so he just closed the shop)

LLoyd

Ned Simmons July 10th 09 08:59 PM

Motor rewinding cost

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:18:41 -0500, Ignoramus21207
wrote:

I have this electric powered pressure washer that I want to fix. At
this time, it appears (from talking to the tech of the airport that
got rid of it) that the motor has an internal short. I would want to
confirm this first, but let's assume for a moment that this is the
case. The two obvious alternatives are buying a new motor or
rewinding.

The motor is "6 HP" (sic), 3450 RPM, 182T frame, single phase motor,
23 amps IIRC.

The best local quote that I got for rewinding this motor is $339. Is
this in a reasonable ballpark or should I look harder?

That sounds about right. Rewinding is usually only economical for
large or special expensive motors. I gave away a 3HP Baldor buffer
with cooked motor a while back. I think the guy I gave to paid around
$300 to have it rewound. Around the same time the place that did the
work went thru the 5HP DC motor from my (now ex) Monarch EE. They
disassembled it, dipped and baked the windings, replaced the brushes
and bearings and load tested for $125, which seems cheap comapared to
the rewind.

--
Ned Simmons

Larry Jaques July 11th 09 03:05 AM

Motor rewinding cost

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:18:41 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus21207
scrawled the following:

I have this electric powered pressure washer that I want to fix. At
this time, it appears (from talking to the tech of the airport that
got rid of it) that the motor has an internal short. I would want to
confirm this first, but let's assume for a moment that this is the
case. The two obvious alternatives are buying a new motor or
rewinding.

The motor is "6 HP" (sic), 3450 RPM, 182T frame, single phase motor,
23 amps IIRC.

The best local quote that I got for rewinding this motor is $339. Is
this in a reasonable ballpark or should I look harder?

I will try to test this machine during the weekend.

For that price, you could adapt a Honda engine to it and have a more
portable unit. Here's a 6hp Subaru Robin for $250.

Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of
leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination
of nonessentials. -- Lin Yutang

Ignoramus21207 July 11th 09 03:07 AM

Motor rewinding cost

On 2009-07-11, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:18:41 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus21207
scrawled the following:

I have this electric powered pressure washer that I want to fix. At
this time, it appears (from talking to the tech of the airport that
got rid of it) that the motor has an internal short. I would want to
confirm this first, but let's assume for a moment that this is the
case. The two obvious alternatives are buying a new motor or
rewinding.

The motor is "6 HP" (sic), 3450 RPM, 182T frame, single phase motor,
23 amps IIRC.

The best local quote that I got for rewinding this motor is $339. Is
this in a reasonable ballpark or should I look harder?

I will try to test this machine during the weekend.

For that price, you could adapt a Honda engine to it and have a more
portable unit. Here's a 6hp Subaru Robin for $250.

This is a great motor, but as it turned out, what the tech told me
about a "burned up motor" is bunkum. The motor runs great. The problem
lies elsewhere and is likely an inexpensive fix. See my separate
post.

Larry Jaques July 11th 09 04:20 AM

Motor rewinding cost

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:07:59 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus21207
scrawled the following:

On 2009-07-11, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
[...]

Saw it, thanks.

P.S: I'm happy to hear that it has a good sense of smell. sigh

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.

Gunner Asch[_4_] July 19th 09 01:24 AM

Motor rewinding cost

wrote:

I have this electric powered pressure washer that I want to fix. At
this time, it appears (from talking to the tech of the airport that
got rid of it) that the motor has an internal short. I would want to
confirm this first, but let's assume for a moment that this is the
case. The two obvious alternatives are buying a new motor or
rewinding.

The motor is "6 HP" (sic), 3450 RPM, 182T frame, single phase motor,
23 amps IIRC.

The best local quote that I got for rewinding this motor is $339. Is
this in a reasonable ballpark or should I look harder?

I will try to test this machine during the weekend.

Or buy a used motor for $50

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"