Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Costco/"Worksmith" 115 drill bit sets saga

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 08:19:06 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
news snip---

Impossible to drill an undersize hole. As the drill will not go through
the hole. Sharpen the end offset as to the center point and you will get
a bigger hole.

No, it isn't. It's not all that uncommon.

Harold

Errr Harold, will you explain that a tiny bit.

I measure the shank of a, say .500", drill. Stick in the machine and
drill a .450" diameter hole? In mild steel? 1 inch thick?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce,

There is a very good chance you measured incorrectly or the drill was undersize.

Bob (Harold knows his stuff) Swinney
wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
news snip---

Impossible to drill an undersize hole. As the drill will not go through
the hole. Sharpen the end offset as to the center point and you will get
a bigger hole.

No, it isn't. It's not all that uncommon.

Harold

Errr Harold, will you explain that a tiny bit.

I measure the shank of a, say .500", drill. Stick in the machine and
drill a .450" diameter hole? In mild steel? 1 inch thick?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
newsPydnduUWOzGZdbXnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
snip---

Impossible to drill an undersize hole. As the drill will not go through
the hole. Sharpen the end offset as to the center point and you will get
a bigger hole.

No, it isn't. It's not all that uncommon.

Harold

Errr Harold, will you explain that a tiny bit.

I measure the shank of a, say .500", drill. Stick in the machine and
drill a .450" diameter hole? In mild steel? 1 inch thick?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Harold is quite right. Ive been sorting out boxes of drill bits..and
the shank diameter is NOT always the same as the bit diameter.

Ive measured Good .500 bits and they tend to actually mic out at
..495-.502

Quite a range..and a head scratcher when the hole is too small.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sun, 05 Jul 2009 14:00:34 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I learned about the difference between "normal' drill bits and TiN
coated ones. Didn't make much of a difference, just that the TiN
drills made a hole some .005 over tolerance. Fark!

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Damn, my posts aren't showing up on my monitor, but the responses to them
are. Bear with me.

As has been alluded, drills can drill a hole that is undersized from the
designated (and measured) diameter of the drill. It happens by the drill
creating a less than round hole, so the minor diameter is smaller in size
than the drill measures at the tip. A like sized pin won't fit the hole.

For those that don't know, drills are not straight. They are ground with a
minor taper towards the shank, which is almost always a few thou smaller in
diameter than the drill tip. That's to insure that the drill doesn't bind
in deep holes, assuming they cut size. They have been known to!

Twist drills are a miserable cutting tool at best-----although they do
create holes! The web of a drill does not cut-----it displaces metal so the
cutting lips can remove it. That's why split point drills do so well. They
actually cut at the web.

Harold