Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Material suggestions needed

I have a project for LSU to build a reduced size oil drilling rig for
classroom use. Rig is made and has instrumentation to mimic the real
thing. Next phase is to make cores for it to drill through, simulating
different type and layers of formation. Been playing with parrifin and
cement combination but am looking for other ideas, like maybe some
epoxy/aggragate that will offer different drilling rates. Bit is a 1"
masonry bit, turning at speeds below 150 RPM. Cores are made up in 3"
PVC pipe with a 1/8 hole cast through the center to provide a flow
path for water to carry cuttings from hole. Any ideas for core
materials will be appreciated. Thus far I have used cement/sand with
varying levels of cement, and wax with bentonnite or sand. Both work
but I need more hardness to vary drilling rates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerry" wrote in message
I have a project for LSU to build a reduced size oil drilling rig for
classroom use. Rig is made and has instrumentation to mimic the real
thing. Next phase is to make cores for it to drill through, simulating
different type and layers of formation. Been playing with parrifin and
cement combination but am looking for other ideas, like maybe some
epoxy/aggragate that will offer different drilling rates. Bit is a 1"
masonry bit, turning at speeds below 150 RPM. Cores are made up in 3"
PVC pipe with a 1/8 hole cast through the center to provide a flow
path for water to carry cuttings from hole. Any ideas for core
materials will be appreciated. Thus far I have used cement/sand with
varying levels of cement, and wax with bentonnite or sand. Both work
but I need more hardness to vary drilling rates

Stay with the cement or epoxy binder. Use different aggregates. If you want
real hard use large granite stones. Limestone for real soft, etc.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
I have a project for LSU to build a reduced size oil drilling rig for
classroom use. Rig is made and has instrumentation to mimic the real
thing. Next phase is to make cores for it to drill through, simulating
different type and layers of formation. Been playing with parrifin and
cement combination but am looking for other ideas, like maybe some
epoxy/aggragate that will offer different drilling rates. Bit is a 1"
masonry bit, turning at speeds below 150 RPM. Cores are made up in 3"
PVC pipe with a 1/8 hole cast through the center to provide a flow
path for water to carry cuttings from hole. Any ideas for core
materials will be appreciated. Thus far I have used cement/sand with
varying levels of cement, and wax with bentonnite or sand. Both work
but I need more hardness to vary drilling rates

Use a core bit to make some cuttings of real rock. Like shale, slate
sandstone.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You could try going to a flooring/ceramic tile store and ask for some
scraps of granite, slate, marble, and limestone tile.
Use a 3" diamond hole saw to make disks that you could set at various
levels in your concrete cores?

"Gerry" wrote in message
I have a project for LSU to build a reduced size oil drilling rig for
classroom use. Rig is made and has instrumentation to mimic the real
thing. Next phase is to make cores for it to drill through, simulating
different type and layers of formation. Been playing with parrifin and
cement combination but am looking for other ideas, like maybe some
epoxy/aggragate that will offer different drilling rates. Bit is a 1"
masonry bit, turning at speeds below 150 RPM. Cores are made up in 3"
PVC pipe with a 1/8 hole cast through the center to provide a flow
path for water to carry cuttings from hole. Any ideas for core
materials will be appreciated. Thus far I have used cement/sand with
varying levels of cement, and wax with bentonnite or sand. Both work
but I need more hardness to vary drilling rates

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerry" wrote in message

I have a project for LSU to build a *reduced size oil drilling rig for
classroom use. Rig is made and has instrumentation to mimic the real
thing. Next phase is to make cores for it to drill through, simulating
different type and layers of formation. Been playing with parrifin and
cement combination but am looking for other ideas, like maybe some
epoxy/aggragate that will offer different drilling rates. Bit is a 1"
masonry bit, turning at speeds below 150 RPM. Cores are made up in 3"
PVC pipe with a 1/8 hole cast through the center to provide a flow
path for water to carry cuttings from hole. Any ideas for core
materials will be appreciated. Thus far I have used cement/sand with
varying levels of cement, and wax with bentonnite or sand. Both work
but I need more hardness to vary drilling rates

Thank you-all good suggestions. Because this is to be used in a
classroom and Profs are in a hurry to be able to show different
formations and their rate of progress I cannot go with materials that
are too hard to penetrate in a short time. Also, I am somewhat limited
to 50 to 75# weight on bit because all the top drive and carriage
weighs is 51#. Top drive is a 1/3hp gear motor controlled by a VFD.
Also the unit has a servo powered draw works to move the top drive up.
Feedback from the whole operation is fed back to a PC monitoring all
functions and controlling the draw works. Kinda of a neat toy and a
good leaning tool for future Petroleum Engineers when you don't have a
full scale drilling rig to play with.

I'm thinking fiberglass with sand as an aggragate may be worth playing
with. Perhaps with pieces of paver tile or slices of brick embeded in
the core as well. Maybe some ole pieces of transite siding if I can
still locate some. Whatever I use has to have a 1/8' hole through it
to allow my drilling fluid to come from the bottom to the top. Just
too much work to use hollow drillbits and tubing to allow circulation
from the top like a real rig.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:31:33 -0700, Gerry wrote:
On Jul 3, 11:05Â*am, "David Courtney" ... wrote:
Â* Â* You could try going to a flooring/ceramic tile store and ask for
Â* Â* some scraps of granite, slate, marble, and limestone tile.
Â* Â* Use a 3" diamond hole saw to make disks that you could set at
Â* Â* various levels in your concrete cores?

"Gerry" wrote ...

[...]

[...]
I'm thinking fiberglass with sand as an aggragate may be worth playing
with. Perhaps with pieces of paver tile or slices of brick embeded in
the core as well. Maybe some ole pieces of transite siding if I can
still locate some. Whatever I use has to have a 1/8' hole through it to
allow my drilling fluid to come from the bottom to the top. Just too
much work to use hollow drillbits and tubing to allow circulation from
the top like a real rig.

Perhaps make up some sand/vermiculite/perlite mixes, bound
with sodium silicate ("water glass").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate
I've seen molding cores that I think were made up with sand and
sodium silicate hardened by CO2 exposure, that were a little
softer than most sandstones.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 3, 1:08*pm, James Waldby wrote:
[...]

Waterglass-have not heard that name in many years. Where would I find
sodium silicate now? Any ideas?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 13:58:28 -0700, Gerry wrote:

On Jul 3, 1:08Â*pm, James Waldby wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:31:33 -0700, Gerry wrote:
On Jul 3, 11:05Â*am, "David Courtney" ... wrote:
Â* Â* You could try going to a flooring/ceramic tile store and ask
Â* Â* for some scraps of granite, slate, marble, and limestone tile.
[...]

This link showed up in a google search --
http://www.zibb.com/all/theme/p/Sodium+Silicate/Baton+Rouge,+Louisiana
and then it linked to (eg) http://www.baddley.com, probably local to
you. http://www.baddley.com/S/SL316.htm shows pricing from quarts
up to barrels. Can you get stuff from LSU chem labs?

http://www.powersourcing.com/sf/sodiumsilicate.htm lists lots of big
suppliers, also http://www.ec21.com/offers/sodium_silicate.html
and http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/Sodium_Silicate.html and
http://www.chemicalregister.com/Sodium_Silicate/Suppliers/pid12822.htm

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 3, 10:58*am, Gerry wrote:
[...]

Used to be able to order it at drug stores.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Gerry" wrote in message

[...]

Hardi Panel (hardi-plank, etc) has a consistency very similar to
transite - maybe a little softer.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 08:10:15 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

I have a project for LSU to build a reduced size oil drilling rig for
classroom use. Rig is made and has instrumentation to mimic the real
thing. Next phase is to make cores for it to drill through, simulating
different type and layers of formation. Been playing with parrifin and
cement combination but am looking for other ideas, like maybe some
epoxy/aggragate that will offer different drilling rates. Bit is a 1"
masonry bit, turning at speeds below 150 RPM. Cores are made up in 3"
PVC pipe with a 1/8 hole cast through the center to provide a flow
path for water to carry cuttings from hole. Any ideas for core
materials will be appreciated. Thus far I have used cement/sand with
varying levels of cement, and wax with bentonnite or sand. Both work
but I need more hardness to vary drilling rates

Hey Gerry,

Why not use some "real" cores? They must already be available in the
Geology Department. Use slices say exactly 1" thick. Maybe use a
smaller than 1" bit, and that would allow numerous drillings of the
same piece of 3" coring on your "model" rig, and a variety of cores
will show what you want. The point seems to be to show that there
needs to be different drilling rates expected for different strata.
Real core samples would allow that, and show specific reality, rather
than some "goop" made up that nobody is ever going to encounter. Drill
and time it, same drill rotation speed and force weight, and see how
long it takes to go through the 1" slices.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps...Bothwell is located on the Great Bothwell Sand Plain

pps....Bothwell is the site of the first oil wells in Canada. We have
an Oil Museum that has A-frame drills and "jerker-rod" wells still in
operation. Place stinks!!