Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Surface grinder dust collection strategies

I'm trying to improve the dust collection on my surface grinder and
hoping to get some feedback on the various schemes I've seen. The
setups I've seen fall into 3 general categories.

1. The traditional big funnel mounted to the table.
http://www.kitmondo.com/images%5Clis...2294138886.jpg

2. Smaller scoops mounted to the column and positioned near the wheel
and close to the chuck. I've experimented with this and it works quite
well for fine grinding and the lighter particles from heavy grinding,
but the heavier grit slips by. I suspect the air velocity is not high
enough to deflect the heavy bits that are not headed toward the
suction inlet. I don't think there's much to be done about the
velocity, so the next thing I might try is to make the nozzle larger
and perhaps aimed more downward towards the chuck to cover a wider
spray of swarf.

This the current arrangement.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Dust01.jpg
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Dust02.jpg

3. Vac-u-guard type hoods. These seem to be the choice for grinding
graphite and other grinding which creates primarily fine dust.
http://www.gandgmachinery.com/images/grinders/vacug.jpg

The dust collector itself is a 3/4 HP Torit cabinet collector, which
is, according to Torit, appropriate for a single surface grinder. Any
feedback on your experience is appreciated.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
[...]

Equip it with coolant and grind wet, not much dust then and things
stay cooler.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

2. Smaller scoops mounted to the column and positioned near the wheel
and close to the chuck. I've experimented with this and it works quite
well for fine grinding and the lighter particles from heavy grinding,
but the heavier grit slips by. I suspect the air velocity is not high
enough to deflect the heavy bits that are not headed toward the
suction inlet. I don't think there's much to be done about the
velocity, so the next thing I might try is to make the nozzle larger
and perhaps aimed more downward towards the chuck to cover a wider
spray of swarf.

This the current arrangement.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Dust01.jpg
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Dust02.jpg

You look to have a pretty good arrangement and good plan to improve. Just
wondering, is your vacuum partly clogged? Pretty easy to do. I cleaned up my
grinder vacuum and it went from worse than a shop vac to "suck the ball off
the trailer hitch" vac. i found hair, lint, and milling swarf in mine.

'Course you could go wet, and have another whole set of issues.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:56:35 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

I'm trying to improve the dust collection on my surface grinder

As Andrew says and Karl almost says, look into putting some guards around the
table and running wet. The only time you need dust extraction is when dressing
a wheel really aggressively. The rest of the time, the coolant sweeps the
fines up and dumps them in your coolant clarifier. You also get less "sucking
up" of the work because it's kept nice and cool.

If you have to stick with running dry, the main thing is to put the hood where
the grit is going to be thrown into it already, without any help from the
suction. The grit is coming off at 60mph. Anything you do with airflow is only
going to help once the grit is already in the pipe. So have a hood that has
steep enough angles that the grit won't bounce out and have it located so that
it's almost touching the work. Then move the air through the pipes to keep the
grit heading towards the cyclone.

Mark Rand(don't have any dust extraction on the surface grinder, just coolant)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:35:30 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

[...]

The collector has a near-new set of bags in it. I got it from a mold
shop that used it for graphite before moving to a new building where
they installed a central collection system. I removed the bags and
vacuumed them. There's little difference in the apparent flow with the
bags removed, so I'm pretty confident it's working properly. The flow
is much greater than a shop vac.

'Course you could go wet, and have another whole set of issues.

Yeah, despite the advantages of wet grinding, for the limited amount I
use the grinder I'd rather see how well I can collect the dust before
thinking about dealing with the sticky mist and coolant bugs.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:04:47 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:56:35 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

I'm trying to improve the dust collection on my surface grinder

As Andrew says and Karl almost says, look into putting some guards around the
table and running wet. The only time you need dust extraction is when dressing
a wheel really aggressively. The rest of the time, the coolant sweeps the
fines up and dumps them in your coolant clarifier. You also get less "sucking
up" of the work because it's kept nice and cool.

It may come to that, I just hate having to deal with the coolant mess
if I can avoid it.

If you have to stick with running dry, the main thing is to put the hood where
the grit is going to be thrown into it already, without any help from the
suction. The grit is coming off at 60mph. Anything you do with airflow is only
going to help once the grit is already in the pipe. So have a hood that has
steep enough angles that the grit won't bounce out and have it located so that
it's almost touching the work.

That's what I've tried to do so far, but I underestimated the spread
of the rooster tail of dust. I guess I'll make some quick and dirty
pickups of PVC and cardboard to see how much improvement I can make.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I have an old Boyer Shultz 612 surface grinder, I've always used it
dry, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of running it wet if it
won't kill the spindle bearings. Anyone know if this machine can run
with water based coolant or grinding oil? I have a Sioux valve
grinder and it uses grinding oil, very little if any dust escapes and
the parts being ground run cool.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dry rules.

Unless you are set up for coolant...and its problems.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 20, 7:04*pm, Mark Rand wrote:
[...]

Mark is right..try to work with the dust.

The Torit (I have one) is meant to pick up the extremely fine airborne
dust.

Which can and will drift everywhere including the ways of your lathe
and mill.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm trying to improve the dust collection on my surface grinder and
hoping to get some feedback on the various schemes I've seen. The
setups I've seen fall into 3 general categories.

1. The traditional big funnel mounted to the table.
http://www.kitmondo.com/images%5Clis...2294138886.jpg

Snip
Ned Simmons

I have a 6x12 Boyar Schultz with the dust collector base. It came
without a "funnel" or hose. I mocked up a collecting funnel out of
cardboard, mimicking my recollection of the factory unit. My
thinking was that Boyar Schultz had more experience in this area than
I did.

The unit works pretty well while grinding. The only noticeable grit
"bounce back" comes from dressing.

John Normile

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Perhaps temporarily remove your collection nozzle and replace it with a
piece of cardboard faced with a sheet of witness paper (plain white paper)
suitably mounted to the wheel shroud and perpendicular to the magnetic
chuck. If this detects the particle strikes satisfactorily, grind a variety
of materials, dress the wheel, etc with it in place. Then shape the intake
of a new collection nozzle to encompass the accumulated particle spray
pattern that has formed on the witness paper.

David Merrill

wrote:

If you have to stick with running dry, the main thing is to put the hood

where
the grit is going to be thrown into it already, without any help from the
suction. The grit is coming off at 60mph. Anything you do with airflow is

only
going to help once the grit is already in the pipe. So have a hood that

has
steep enough angles that the grit won't bounce out and have it located so

that
it's almost touching the work.

That's what I've tried to do so far, but I underestimated the spread
of the rooster tail of dust. I guess I'll make some quick and dirty
pickups of PVC and cardboard to see how much improvement I can make.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm trying to improve the dust collection on my surface grinder and
hoping to get some feedback on the various schemes I've seen. The
setups I've seen fall into 3 general categories.

1. The traditional big funnel mounted to the table.
http://www.kitmondo.com/images%5Clis...2294138886.jpg

Snip
Ned Simmons

I have a 6x12 Boyar Schultz with the dust collector base. * It came
without a "funnel" or hose. * I mocked up a collecting funnel out of
cardboard, mimicking my recollection of the factory unit. * My
thinking was that Boyar Schultz had more experience in this area than
I did.

The unit works pretty well while grinding. * The only noticeable grit
"bounce back" comes from dressing.

John Normile

After grinding at the end of the day....turn out the lights and shine
a bright light beam across the shop.

The amount of visibility of the beam tells you how good your dust
collection capability is.

Any fine dust is ending up on your lathe, mill and lungs.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:04:19 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

Perhaps temporarily remove your collection nozzle and replace it with a
piece of cardboard faced with a sheet of witness paper (plain white paper)
suitably mounted to the wheel shroud and perpendicular to the magnetic
chuck. If this detects the particle strikes satisfactorily, grind a variety
of materials, dress the wheel, etc with it in place. Then shape the intake
of a new collection nozzle to encompass the accumulated particle spray
pattern that has formed on the witness paper.

I like it. Perhaps some stripes of Vaseline would catch the particles
and better show the distribution of the spray.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Perhaps temporarily remove your collection nozzle and replace it with a
piece of cardboard faced with a sheet of witness paper (plain white paper)
suitably mounted to the wheel shroud and perpendicular to the magnetic
chuck. *If this detects the particle strikes satisfactorily, grind a variety
of materials, dress the wheel, etc with it in place. *Then shape the intake
of a new collection nozzle to encompass the accumulated particle spray
pattern that has formed on the witness paper.

I like it. Perhaps some stripes of Vaseline would catch the particles
and better show the distribution of the spray.

--
Ned Simmons

Great idea.

Note the size of the particles...different sizes go different
distances.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This the current arrangement.http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...ews/Dust02.jpg

3. Vac-u-guard type hoods. These seem to be the choice for grinding
graphite and other grinding which creates primarily fine dust.http://www.gandgmachinery.com/images/grinders/vacug.jpg

The dust collector itself is a 3/4 HP Torit cabinet collector, which
is, according to Torit, appropriate for a single surface grinder. Any
feedback on your experience is appreciated.

--
Ned Simmons

I have also seen where nonmagnetic shields with strong magnets mounted
on a grinder to get wayward grindings.

The shields are made such that the magnets can be easily removed so
the grindings can be removed.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Ned...another possibility.

A friend of mine has his grinder on wheels and rolls it out on the
driveway when he has substantial grinding to do.

No dust cleanup required.

Just don't shoot the dust out on to a white concrete driveway...it
leaves a rust stain. ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Perhaps temporarily remove your collection nozzle and replace it with a
piece of cardboard faced with a sheet of witness paper (plain white paper)
suitably mounted to the wheel shroud and perpendicular to the magnetic
chuck. *If this detects the particle strikes satisfactorily, grind a variety
of materials, dress the wheel, etc with it in place. *Then shape the intake
of a new collection nozzle to encompass the accumulated particle spray
pattern that has formed on the witness paper.

I like it. Perhaps some stripes of Vaseline would catch the particles
and better show the distribution of the spray.

--
Ned Simmons

Hi Ned,

I am an applications engineer and have been working for a variety of
dust collector manufacturers for over 15 years. The best way to
handle a small surface grinder is to incorporate the splash guard into
a box like hood with sides and a roof. The roof would be your pick up
hood or suction hood where you would mount a collar to attach a hose
that you can run back to your collector. What is the width of the
table, this will determine your hose size?

The other method is a magnetic hood that can be attached to your wheel
guard, this hood is closer to the source and can be used for dressing
the wheel. Sometimes tolerances are critical on machines and the
added weight will effect of the hood will effect the part tolerance.

I currently work for a small dust or mist collector manufacturer and
we can offer a collector depending on if you are filtering mist or
dust or both? The company name is AER Control Systems, visit our
products on the web at www.aercontrolsystems.com. If you would like
to phone me, I can be reached at 866-265-2372 and we can discuss.

Rob Gabelmann
Applications Engineer
AER Control Systems
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Good stuff by the way.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:59:30 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

Ned...another possibility.

A friend of mine has his grinder on wheels and rolls it out on the
driveway when he has substantial grinding to do.

I do that with my tool grinder and buffer/scotchbrite/wire wheel.
They're mounted to the big barn doors on the shop -- if the weather is
good I can swing the doors open so most of the mess stays outside.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi Ned,

I am an applications engineer and have been working for a variety of
dust collector manufacturers for over 15 years. The best way to
handle a small surface grinder is to incorporate the splash guard into
a box like hood with sides and a roof. The roof would be your pick up
hood or suction hood where you would mount a collar to attach a hose
that you can run back to your collector.

This got me thinking. The nozzle I have now is pretty effective at
sucking up the fines. The heavier grit that escapes is really just a
nuisance near the grinder, I don't think any of it travels far enough
to be a real problem. An enclosure like you've described would
probably contain the bulk of the coarse stuff on the grinder table,
even if it wasn't all sucked up by the collector. Is that typically
how it works?

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:18:31 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

The Torit (I have one) is meant to pick up the extremely fine airborne
dust.

Which can and will drift everywhere including the ways of your lathe
and mill.

I think what I'm doing now is getting most of the dust that's prone to
travel far enough to damage other machines, and I'm sure there's room
for improvement. What's escaping seems to be more of a nuisance than a
real problem, but as long as I've got that big collector running I'd
like to suck up as much as I can.

I've got some fresh ideas to try. Thanks to everyone who has
responded.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:08:49 -0700 (PDT), oldjag
wrote:

I have an old Boyer Shultz 612 surface grinder, I've always used it
dry, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of running it wet if it
won't kill the spindle bearings.

Hey Old Jag. Does your Boyer Schultz have the dust collector in the
base? I need instructions on getting to the vacuum motor and also how
to get the filter out to clean it.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have an old Boyer Shultz 612 surface grinder, I've always used it
dry, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of running it wet if it
won't kill the spindle bearings.

Hey Old Jag. Does your Boyer Schultz have the dust collector in the
base? I need instructions on getting to the vacuum motor and also how
to get the filter out to clean it.

RWL

I got into the vacuum motor on a Boyar Schultz dust collector base a
few years ago. The motor is accessed from the front of the cabinet.
But firsr you must remove all the filter elements. The motor is in
the rear corner.
And a Boyar Schultz service man cautioned me NOT to wash the filter
bags, as that would remove the fire retardent chemicals in the
filters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 21:53:14 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

PTD dot NET wrote:

Hey Old Jag. Does your Boyer Schultz have the dust collector in the
base? I need instructions on getting to the vacuum motor and also how
to get the filter out to clean it.

RWL

I got into the vacuum motor on a Boyar Schultz dust collector base a
few years ago. The motor is accessed from the front of the cabinet.
But firsr you must remove all the filter elements. The motor is in
the rear corner.
And a Boyar Schultz service man cautioned me NOT to wash the filter
bags, as that would remove the fire retardent chemicals in the
filters.

How do you get the filters out of the way? I couldn't see how they
were released.

Someone painted my machine, so things on the base don't come apart
easily - does the roundish cover on the back come off to expose
anything of interest in taking apart the vacuum motor / blower? If
it's supposed to come off, I've got to figure out how to pull it since
it's painted (glued) now to the rest of the base.

RWL

You must go in from the front. Nothing is accessable on the back of
my machine.

The front cover is held by quarter turn screws. Once the cover is
off, you will see the filter bags. There are rails on each side
running front to back that hold the filters in place. A flat "clamp
strip" secures the filters. Once the clamp strip is removed, the
filters lift out exposing the blower motor in the rear.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I uploaded two pictures of the dust collector to the dropbox

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/

They are listed as Boyer Schultz Dust filter 1.jpg

and Boyer Schultz Dust filter 2.jpg

As of 7:30 this morning, they're not there yet, but they should be by
this evening when most of you guys will be reading. Getting the
filter out so I can get to the motor is the main task at the moment.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-06, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:

I uploaded two pictures of the dust collector to the dropbox

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/

They are listed as Boyer Schultz Dust filter 1.jpg

and Boyer Schultz Dust filter 2.jpg

Which of course, following the rules of the dropbox, have been
renamed to Boyer_Schultz_Dust_filter_1.jpg and Boyer_Schultz_Dust_filter_2.jpg
because embedded spaces in filenames are problematical on some systems.

The images could have benefited from being reduced in size
somewhat. The amount of detail is way over what is needed, and I had to
shrink my image size to 30% to get it all to fit on the screen.

As of 7:30 this morning, they're not there yet, but they should be by
this evening when most of you guys will be reading. Getting the
filter out so I can get to the motor is the main task at the moment.

Is it possible to move the bracket with the thumbscrews on the
left towards the left? The one on the right looks as though it is part
of the sidewall in the photos, so it probably won't move.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 07:21:23 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

How do you get the filters out of the way? I couldn't see how they
were released.

RWL

................................................. .

(John Normile) wrote:

running front to back that hold the filters in place. A flat "clamp
strip" secures the filters. Once the clamp strip is removed, the
filters lift out exposing the blower motor in the rear.

................................................. .

Does your dust collector have hardware cloth spacers between each
pleat, or is that something that some former owner has added?

I loosened the thumb screws, but the right side of the cabinet blocks
removing them as a whole unit. It looks like I might be able to work
each pleat, one pleat at a time to the left to clear the door, but
it's a tight squeeze and I was afraid of tearing the filter's cloth.
Is that how you get it out? I took photos, but I haven't had an
opportunity to upload them to the dropbox yet.

RWL

It has been a number of years since I was into the dust collector, but
the hardware screen looks familiar.

I had to take them out one at a time. They go back in one at a time
also. And I do remember it was a tight fit and a pain to R&R.
John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7 Jul 2009 04:32:25 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

The images could have benefited from being reduced in size
somewhat.

You're right. Sorry about that. I wasnt' thinking when I uploaded
them before work the other morning.

Is it possible to move the bracket with the thumbscrews on the
left towards the left?

Unfortunately not. The bracket is welded in place.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How do you get the filters out of the way? I couldn't see how they
were released.

RWL

................................................ ..

It has been a number of years since I was into the dust collector, but
the hardware screen looks familiar.

I had to take them out one at a time. They go back in one at a time
also. And I do remember it was a tight fit and a pain to R&R.
John

Did yours have a sheet of hardware cloth (1/2" coarse screen) between
each of the pleats of the cloth filter? I'm suspicious that those are
an add-on by some previous owner since the ends of the wires protrude
a little and would seem as though they'd poke holes at the bottom of
the pleats over time.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 23:07:46 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

How do you get the filters out of the way? I couldn't see how they
were released.

RWL
............................................... ...

It has been a number of years since I was into the dust collector, but
the hardware screen looks familiar.

I had to take them out one at a time. They go back in one at a time
also. And I do remember it was a tight fit and a pain to R&R.
John

Did yours have a sheet of hardware cloth (1/2" coarse screen) between
each of the pleats of the cloth filter? I'm suspicious that those are
an add-on by some previous owner since the ends of the wires protrude
a little and would seem as though they'd poke holes at the bottom of
the pleats over time.

RWL

I believe my machine had the wire screens.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Ned Simmons, Chuck wrote:
I have used vac u guards for many years, unfortunately hard to come by

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-186219-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If your vac is strong enough, it will suck up cutoffs and the grindings.
Mine do.

Martin