Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Batteries

I need to get some juice for my trolling motor, a Minn Kota 55. Should I go
with a deep cycle marine 12, or 2 6v. batteries? I switched to the 6v's on
my MH, and it made the batteries last a LOT longer.

What would you do?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 21:53:37 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I need to get some juice for my trolling motor, a Minn Kota 55. Should I go
with a deep cycle marine 12, or 2 6v. batteries? I switched to the 6v's on
my MH, and it made the batteries last a LOT longer.

What would you do?

Steve

Depends on how you use it. If a 105 or 120 AH 12-volt battery won't
get you thru a day's fishing then you need more capacity. If it
will, then I'd go with a 12-volt single battery and focus on the
charger. I'd focus on the charger in any case.

I've gotten five years of life from each of two sets of deepcycle
batteries bought from Fleet Farm for about $65 ea. I run two of
them in series to power a 24-volt trolling motor. Keeping them
charged while never overcharging is the key to longevity. Many have
told me that 3 years is about all one can reasonably expect from a
trolling motor battery. That was my experience with run-of-mill
chargers and previous boat, but it has not been my experience with
this boat. It's my little green boat, a Ranger Fisherman 681VS. Not
very fast but it's deep V hull handles choppy MN waters nicely. Mary
bought it for me as an inducement to retire sooner than later. Or
maybe she just likes to go fishing...

I think the charger in this boat was made by Minn-Kota. I got the
boat used 11 years ago so I forget the details. I just plug in the
boat and let it do its thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I need to get some juice for my trolling motor, a Minn Kota 55. Should I go
with a deep cycle marine 12, or 2 6v. batteries? I switched to the 6v's on
my MH, and it made the batteries last a LOT longer.

What would you do?

Steve

Golf carts run 5 years on Titans, but only if (as others have said)
charging is diligently performed. Keep 'em topped up, keep 'em
charged, don't overcharge. Don't let 'em sit without float charge
for more than a few hours. /mark

What batteries to use? Aaron Fude Home Repair 36 October 30th 08 03:35 AM
Car Batteries Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 49 February 3rd 08 05:07 AM
New Batteries Weatherlawyer UK diy 19 January 19th 08 04:23 PM
Batteries Gimpy Home Repair 4 March 17th 07 04:15 AM
AA Batteries Sir Psycho Electronics 9 May 17th 06 12:39 AM