Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT -- Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars - Fuel economy zealots can kill you

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:16:48 -0700, "CalifBill"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

Buerste wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...
snip
I miss my '73 Chevy stepvan with a Union City body. It gve me 20
MPG, no matter how much I hauled in it. It had non commercial tags,
and
one trip had over 8,000 of cargo.

I bet that was a white-knuckle trip!

Only when the Georgia Highway Patrol chased me just south of Atlanta,
long enough to see I had non commercial tags. Then he slammed on the
brakes, slid into the median, and was pounding the dash with both fists.

Sort of like my S10 4x4 Pickup. Got a load of pavers for the back yard.
Said a pallet load was 1500#. Pick up the load one night from HD, drive
home, luckily the wife is with me as the truck barely steers. Front wheels
probably would not of touched if wife was not in cab. The pallet they
referred to was much smaller. We figured there were 4500# of pavers in the
truck, Setting on the axle stops.

Kid worked for me in 1972 bet the quarry foreman a case of beer that
his '52 Fargo 1/2 ton could get home with the box level full of
crushed limestone. First attempt, he lost the load climbing out of the
quarry, so after re-loading he backed it up the hill then drove home.
His Dad was happy to get some gravel for the driveway.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CalifBill wrote:

Sort of like my S10 4x4 Pickup. Got a load of pavers for the back yard.
Said a pallet load was 1500#. Pick up the load one night from HD, drive
home, luckily the wife is with me as the truck barely steers. Front wheels
probably would not of touched if wife was not in cab. The pallet they
referred to was much smaller. We figured there were 4500# of pavers in the
truck, Setting on the axle stops.

These loads were sitting on the front & rear axels. I had replaced
the original ass breaker seat with a bucket seat from a junked 66 GTO.
The truck rode and drove like a new caddie.

I drove straight from near Dayton, to just north of Orlando, only
stopping for gas and food. I had to stop in Atlanta to chnage the oil
filter. It was plugging up with carbon, so I had to wait an hour for it
to cool, in a mall parking lot. I made it to my destination 15 minutes
before the tags expired.

A little over 17,000 pounds of cargo in two trips. Not bad for a
truck that everyone told me would never run again. So what if it was
hit by a drunk driver who ran out of the road, and totaled two cars into
the right front corner, or that the engine was siezed? I spent $8 and
had it running. I ended up having to put new bearings in the starter,
and replaced the alternator. That was another $5. I made a new back
bumper out of scrap steel for 97 cents, and an alumnum tube grill for $8
in pop rivets and one piece of new angle aluminum. Then I drove it
5,000 miles over the next six months with nothing more than one oil
change, and gasoline.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

[...]

Gee. The best I ever got was when the owner of a bunch of dump
trucks who hauled for an asphalt plant was when he delivered two free
truckloads of hot asphalt for our shop's parking lot. It had been paved
with slag from the local steel mill and he was always complaining about
the dust, so we told him, "If you don't like it, do something about
it!" He did!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:48:21 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gee. The best I ever got was when the owner of a bunch of dump
trucks who hauled for an asphalt plant was when he delivered two free
truckloads of hot asphalt for our shop's parking lot. It had been paved
with slag from the local steel mill and he was always complaining about
the dust, so we told him, "If you don't like it, do something about
it!" He did!

I hope it wasn't like the Church Men's Club that decided to pave the
parking lot by hand and refused to listen to advise from the driver
who delivered their load of paving mix and insisted that he dump the
load in the middle of the area so they could spread it with shovels
and rakes, and compact it with a water filled lawn roller
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gee. The best I ever got was when the owner of a bunch of dump
trucks who hauled for an asphalt plant was when he delivered two free
truckloads of hot asphalt for our shop's parking lot. It had been paved
with slag from the local steel mill and he was always complaining about
the dust, so we told him, "If you don't like it, do something about
it!" He did!

I hope it wasn't like the Church Men's Club that decided to pave the
parking lot by hand and refused to listen to advise from the driver
who delivered their load of paving mix and insisted that he dump the
load in the middle of the area so they could spread it with shovels
and rakes, and compact it with a water filled lawn roller.

We spread it with shovels, and used a power roller we rented for $75
to compact it. It took about three hours and saved us over $1000.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:33:14 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

I sure wouldn't buy a brand new anything nowadays. What I
don't want in a vehicle; no airbags, anti-skid/traction
crap, air conditioning, tire air pressure monitor/alarm,
Onstar... I'm sure there must be a few more things I can't
think of right now too. Most likely if I have to replace my
old 1982 truck someday it will be with something else old.

I certainly cannot afford a new vehicle but any replacement I buy
must have airconditioning - there is nothing worse than a stinking
hot car on a 40+C/103+F day. Currently a 93 Patrol.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:09:25 -0400, the infamous Leon Fisk
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I sure wouldn't buy a brand new anything nowadays. What I
don't want in a vehicle; no airbags, anti-skid/traction
crap, air conditioning, tire air pressure monitor/alarm,
Onstar... I'm sure there must be a few more things I can't
think of right now too. Most likely if I have to replace my
old 1982 truck someday it will be with something else old.

I certainly cannot afford a new vehicle but any replacement I buy
must have airconditioning - there is nothing worse than a stinking
hot car on a 40+C/103+F day. Currently a 93 Patrol.

May Dad tried to find a new car without air conditioning in
the early 90's. No such animal... he ended up getting one
with air, power steering and brakes which he didn't want
either.

Methinks he was foolish. YMMV

My '91 F-150 came without air and it was/will be the last vehicle
without air conditioning I ever purchase. Summer's hot enough
_working_ for a living, but driving around in the heat sucks too, too
much.

I doubt if this has changed much, but I really have no use
for air conditioning. It would only be nice for maybe 5 days
a year (or less) that I would be driving it. Hard to justify
the extra cost for so little benefit.

You must live in a very northerly, mild climate. I'm at Longitude 43N
and it still gets up to 41C/105F here a few days. Other weeks, it
stays in the mid 90s. That's too hot for comfort.

--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:43:24 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

snip
doesn't it rain in Grand Rapids?

modern cars use the AC to dehumidify the air when you run the defroster - it
really makes a huge difference.

I've been averaging around 2000 miles per year lately. My
1982 truck (that I bought new) only has ~132000 miles on it.
Do you really think that air conditioning would be a
worthwhile investment for me? ;-)

I walk around ~5000 miles per year, It would make more sense
to put my money into shoes.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

snip
doesn't it rain in Grand Rapids?

modern cars use the AC to dehumidify the air when you run the defroster -
it
really makes a huge difference.

I've been averaging around 2000 miles per year lately. My
1982 truck (that I bought new) only has ~132000 miles on it.
Do you really think that air conditioning would be a
worthwhile investment for me? ;-)

I walk around ~5000 miles per year, It would make more sense
to put my money into shoes.

no need to fix that which isn't broke - my post was in response to your
statement about not wanting AC because it was not useful - my point was that
even if you didn't want it for cooling, it had another use on modern cars.