Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What I'm using wood chips for (some metal content)

A few of you have asked what I am using wood chips for. There is some
metal content here, so I guess its okay:

We are just getting into wood gasification to produce motor fuel. We
will run an electric generator to feed power back into the grid, using
the grid as our "storage battery". Hopefully, we will scavange the
excess heat from the process, too. We are thinking 25Kwhr/hr to
50Kwhr/hr for one 10 hour day per week.

Using wood chips as fuel will allow us to auger the solid fuel into the
gasifier as needed, under electronic control, we hope.

Currently we have a small Chinese gasifier setup known as the "JXQ10A"
and are using it to "get our feet wet". Early next month we'll hook it
up to a 16hp Onan genset to see what it can do.

Eventually we will be using about 1000 pounds of wood chips per day, one
day a week to generate (hopeefully) all the electricity we need.

My son recently bought a used Woodchuck wood chipper that had a 300
cu.inch Ford engine. We have to replace it and get it running. In the
meantime, we have been salvaging wood chips from the roadside.
We only need 500 hundred pounds or so for this level of testing.
There are sawmills in the area who sell woodchips, but they are
generally too big and contain too much bark for our application. Bark=
ash.

As you can see, we are quickly learning that there are many different
quality levels of wood chips, for our application, at least. "Bridging"
in the gasifier is a major issue, so we need a constant size chip and no
long and/or stringy stuff.
Hnadling, drying, sifting and classifying are the preparation issues
we are dealing with right now. I am trying to keep good data on all
this, so, as we scale up the data will be useful for a smooth transition.

This project will require a lot of fabrication of metals, at all levels.

See what's happening to date at our house at:

http://www.spaco.org/JXQ10A.htm

If you want to be entertained on the subject, just type in "woodgas" at
youtube.

Pete Stanaitis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 15, 4:44*am, spaco wrote:
[...]

Sounds interesting.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

i'm trying to make a gasifier in the shop at my school, i'm working on
the filters and burners etc. right now and will make the gasifier when
i get all the parts, any tips or sugestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:44:39 -0700 (PDT), yourmom003
wrote:

i'm trying to make a gasifier in the shop at my school, i'm working on
the filters and burners etc. right now and will make the gasifier when
i get all the parts, any tips or sugestions?

--------
Read up first.

http://lindsaybks.com/bks7/bchar/index.html
http://lindsaybks.com/bks4/mathot/index.html
see
http://lindsaybks.com/
be sure and request a catalog as not all of the books available
are listed on the website.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

thanks, i have over 12 pdf books that i've read most of.

that web sight is awsome, HA!