DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT. metal scanner (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/274754-ot-metal-scanner.html)

pintlar March 31st 09 05:35 AM

OT. metal scanner

I am trying to locate the wooden stud centers to install safety handrails in
my bathtub. The original wall is 3/8" lath with 3/8" plaster over that.
There is a 1/16" pvc wall paneling over both those.
If need to locate the lath nails, so I would know the centers of the studs.
I have a 30 year old Craftsman stud finder that works well in most
applications, but it does not detect metal. It is too unrelialbe with the
pvc and the plaster lath to locate the stud edges.
Can anyone direct me to a good stud/metal detector within a $25 range?
There was no action in the 'carpentry' newsgroup, hence I figured a member
of this group would be able to assist me.
I. A. T's. charlie

Calif Bill March 31st 09 07:17 AM

OT. metal scanner

"pintlar" wrote in message
I am trying to locate the wooden stud centers to install safety handrails
in my bathtub. The original wall is 3/8" lath with 3/8" plaster over that.
There is a 1/16" pvc wall paneling over both those.
If need to locate the lath nails, so I would know the centers of the
studs.
I have a 30 year old Craftsman stud finder that works well in most
applications, but it does not detect metal. It is too unrelialbe with the
pvc and the plaster lath to locate the stud edges.
Can anyone direct me to a good stud/metal detector within a $25 range?
There was no action in the 'carpentry' newsgroup, hence I figured a member
of this group would be able to assist me.
I. A. T's. charlie
\

Look at the ones at Lowes / HD and look for the deep scan units. They seem
to work on lath and plaster.

Joe March 31st 09 12:22 PM

OT. metal scanner

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:35:26 -0600, "pintlar"
wrote:

I am trying to locate the wooden stud centers to install safety handrails in
my bathtub. The original wall is 3/8" lath with 3/8" plaster over that.
There is a 1/16" pvc wall paneling over both those.
If need to locate the lath nails, so I would know the centers of the studs.
I have a 30 year old Craftsman stud finder that works well in most
applications, but it does not detect metal. It is too unrelialbe with the
pvc and the plaster lath to locate the stud edges.
Can anyone direct me to a good stud/metal detector within a $25 range?
There was no action in the 'carpentry' newsgroup, hence I figured a member
of this group would be able to assist me.
I. A. T's. charlie

My home town is where Ryobi is HQ'd, and just last week I went to
their big factory sale. I bought a Ryobi stud sensor that detects
shallow and deep, through plaster, also finds metal studs and detects
live AC wires. Cost me 10 bucks. Don't know what it costs in the
stores, though.

(Their normally $200 leaf blower cost my wife $72 at the sale, if that
comparison is valid, so it looks like it would still come in at under
$25.)

Joe

RoyJ March 31st 09 12:49 PM

OT. metal scanner

The later model Zicron 'Stud Sensor's work fairly well in deep plaster,
not great but assuming the stud is straight, you can find them. I also
use the pellet type super magnets, just slide on the wall, they hop to
any nail even if buried. They will easily stick to a lathe nail buried
under 3/8" of plaster.

When I installed a grab bar for by Dad's place I had to go into the
closet behind the shower, open a hole, and put in an extra 2x4 for
support. The spacing of the bar mounts just didn't work any other way.

[email protected] March 31st 09 02:51 PM

OT. metal scanner

pintlar wrote:
I am trying to locate the wooden stud centers to install safety handrails in
my bathtub. *The original wall is 3/8" lath with 3/8" plaster over that.
There is a 1/16" pvc wall paneling over both those.
If need to locate the lath nails, so I would know the centers of the studs.
I have a 30 year old Craftsman stud finder that works well in most
applications, but it does not detect metal. *It is too unrelialbe with the
pvc and the plaster lath to locate the stud edges.
Can anyone direct me to a good stud/metal detector within a $25 range?
There was no action in the 'carpentry' newsgroup, hence I figured a member
of this group would be able to assist me.
I. A. T's. *charlie

The salvaged magnets from old hard drives are good for locating nails
and screws holding lath and drywall to studs.

I use this method successfully to attach wide baseboards and chair
rails.

Wolfgang

Bob La Londe March 31st 09 03:50 PM

OT. metal scanner

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

"pintlar" wrote in message
I am trying to locate the wooden stud centers to install safety handrails
in my bathtub. The original wall is 3/8" lath with 3/8" plaster over
that. There is a 1/16" pvc wall paneling over both those.
If need to locate the lath nails, so I would know the centers of the
studs.
I have a 30 year old Craftsman stud finder that works well in most
applications, but it does not detect metal. It is too unrelialbe with
the pvc and the plaster lath to locate the stud edges.
Can anyone direct me to a good stud/metal detector within a $25 range?
There was no action in the 'carpentry' newsgroup, hence I figured a
member of this group would be able to assist me.
I. A. T's. charlie
\

Look at the ones at Lowes / HD and look for the deep scan units. They
seem to work on lath and plaster.

I have a deep scan one, but if I recall it cost 39.95. Nothing is perfect
by the way.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

RoyJ March 31st 09 10:27 PM

OT. metal scanner

The button type super magnets are much more accurate and less fragile
than the hard drive magnets.