Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

################################################## ##### Twitter
# Usage:
#
# Twitter I am eating sushi right now
#
Twitter() {
local USERNAME=myusername
local PASSWORD=mypassword

# Verify that you have URI::Escape perl module.
if perl -MURI::Escape -e exit; then
true
else
echo "perl Module URI::Escape missing. You need to install it." 1&2
return 1
fi

MESSAGE=$(echo -n "$@" | perl -MURI::Escape -ne 'print uri_escape( $_ )')

COMMAND="curl --basic --user $USERNAME:$PASSWORD --data-ascii status=$MESSAGE http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json"
$COMMAND /dev/null 2&1 && echo Success.
}

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
more readers you will need to find a different means of
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,562
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

Ignoramus23425 wrote:

# Usage:
#
# Twitter I am eating sushi right now
#


Now I know why they call it twit (ter)
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,600
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On 2009-03-25, Ignoramus23425 wrote:
################################################## ##### Twitter
# Usage:
#
# Twitter I am eating sushi right now
#
Twitter() {
local USERNAME=myusername
local PASSWORD=mypassword

# Verify that you have URI::Escape perl module.
if perl -MURI::Escape -e exit; then
true
else
echo "perl Module URI::Escape missing. You need to install it." 1&2
return 1
fi

MESSAGE=$(echo -n "$@" | perl -MURI::Escape -ne 'print uri_escape( $_ )')

COMMAND="curl --basic --user $USERNAME:$PASSWORD --data-ascii status=$MESSAGE http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json"
$COMMAND /dev/null 2&1 && echo Success.
}


Nice and simple -- but I would have added a test to make sure that the
username and password had been set to something other than the defaults
you have in there. Or perhaps able to read them from a file like
~/.twitter/accountname so you could use it for mutiple accounts by
typing "twitter junque I am eating sushi right now" and it would read
the username and password for account "junque" before proceeding.

Now -- all I need to do is to create a twitter account -- and
find people who are interested enough in my day-to-day minutiae to read
it. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On 2009-03-26, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-03-25, Ignoramus23425 wrote:
################################################## ##### Twitter
# Usage:
#
# Twitter I am eating sushi right now
#
Twitter() {
local USERNAME=myusername
local PASSWORD=mypassword

# Verify that you have URI::Escape perl module.
if perl -MURI::Escape -e exit; then
true
else
echo "perl Module URI::Escape missing. You need to install it." 1&2
return 1
fi

MESSAGE=$(echo -n "$@" | perl -MURI::Escape -ne 'print uri_escape( $_ )')

COMMAND="curl --basic --user $USERNAME:$PASSWORD --data-ascii status=$MESSAGE http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json"
$COMMAND /dev/null 2&1 && echo Success.
}


Nice and simple -- but I would have added a test to make sure that the
username and password had been set to something other than the defaults
you have in there. Or perhaps able to read them from a file like
~/.twitter/accountname so you could use it for mutiple accounts by
typing "twitter junque I am eating sushi right now" and it would read
the username and password for account "junque" before proceeding.


This is what I do, I have a file ~/.../.../twitter.txt with username
and password. It is secret. My family shares my .bashrc, so I cannot
have my twitter password there (which is unique and is not used on any
other website), but I have it in a secret file.

Now -- all I need to do is to create a twitter account -- and
find people who are interested enough in my day-to-day minutiae to read
it. :-)


Well, when posting your minutiae is as easy as typing something on
command line, you may reconsider.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
more readers you will need to find a different means of
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,600
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On 2009-03-26, Ignoramus3943 wrote:
On 2009-03-26, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-03-25, Ignoramus23425 wrote:
################################################## ##### Twitter
# Usage:
#
# Twitter I am eating sushi right now
#
Twitter() {


[ ... ]

}


Nice and simple -- but I would have added a test to make sure that the
username and password had been set to something other than the defaults
you have in there. Or perhaps able to read them from a file like
~/.twitter/accountname so you could use it for mutiple accounts by
typing "twitter junque I am eating sushi right now" and it would read
the username and password for account "junque" before proceeding.


This is what I do, I have a file ~/.../.../twitter.txt with username
and password. It is secret. My family shares my .bashrc, so I cannot
have my twitter password there (which is unique and is not used on any
other website), but I have it in a secret file.


O.K. That will work.

Now -- all I need to do is to create a twitter account -- and
find people who are interested enough in my day-to-day minutiae to read
it. :-)


Well, when posting your minutiae is as easy as typing something on
command line, you may reconsider.


That deals with the ease part, but I can't imagine that anybody
is interested in what I just ate. Now for metalworking perhaps, but I
would rather do the work than type about it like that. (And when I *do*
describe it, it tends to be too many characters for twitter to accept.

I don't think that I would follow *anyone* here's tweets. I
don't *care* what anybody has for breakfast, and for the things which I
*do* care about -- I would want more detail than would be practical.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On 2009-03-27, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-03-26, Ignoramus3943 wrote:
On 2009-03-26, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-03-25, Ignoramus23425 wrote:
################################################## ##### Twitter
# Usage:
#
# Twitter I am eating sushi right now
#
Twitter() {


[ ... ]

}


Nice and simple -- but I would have added a test to make sure that the
username and password had been set to something other than the defaults
you have in there. Or perhaps able to read them from a file like
~/.twitter/accountname so you could use it for mutiple accounts by
typing "twitter junque I am eating sushi right now" and it would read
the username and password for account "junque" before proceeding.


This is what I do, I have a file ~/.../.../twitter.txt with username
and password. It is secret. My family shares my .bashrc, so I cannot
have my twitter password there (which is unique and is not used on any
other website), but I have it in a secret file.


O.K. That will work.

Now -- all I need to do is to create a twitter account -- and
find people who are interested enough in my day-to-day minutiae to read
it. :-)


Well, when posting your minutiae is as easy as typing something on
command line, you may reconsider.


That deals with the ease part, but I can't imagine that anybody
is interested in what I just ate. Now for metalworking perhaps, but I
would rather do the work than type about it like that. (And when I *do*
describe it, it tends to be too many characters for twitter to accept.

I don't think that I would follow *anyone* here's tweets. I
don't *care* what anybody has for breakfast, and for the things which I
*do* care about -- I would want more detail than would be practical.


Well, it is up to you as to what you post. I am not sure myself if I
want to use it or not. But, I would imagine that twittering about a
big project in progress is kind of fun to follow, frmo the
rec.crafts.metalworking perspective.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
more readers you will need to find a different means of
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,444
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

-- and
find people who are interested enough in my day-to-day minutiae to read
it. :-)


We've been here all along, DoN.

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,417
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:27:08 -0500, Ignoramus764
wrote:

snip
Well, it is up to you as to what you post. I am not sure myself if I
want to use it or not. But, I would imagine that twittering about a
big project in progress is kind of fun to follow, frmo the
rec.crafts.metalworking perspective.


Say you have a dicey medical exam today and the whole family
wants to know about the results. A few tweets as things
progress and everybody (your family members) knows what's
happening.

You're at a job site and you don't have the proper part on
your truck. One tweet alerts all fellow coworkers about what
you need and where you are located. Who ever has it and is
close by can respond...

Most of what I see Twitter being used for so far is pretty
worthless.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,600
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On 2009-03-27, Winston wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

-- and
find people who are interested enough in my day-to-day minutiae to read
it. :-)


We've been here all along, DoN.


You haven't been *exposed* to my day-to-day minutiae. :-)

"Cat boarded lap. Kneaded cat's tummy for half an hour.
Cat got bored."

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,600
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On 2009-03-27, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:27:08 -0500, Ignoramus764
wrote:

snip
Well, it is up to you as to what you post. I am not sure myself if I
want to use it or not. But, I would imagine that twittering about a
big project in progress is kind of fun to follow, frmo the
rec.crafts.metalworking perspective.


Say you have a dicey medical exam today and the whole family
wants to know about the results. A few tweets as things
progress and everybody (your family members) knows what's
happening.


O.K. That would work -- if they knew about the twitter account
to start with. Remember -- all of my siblings are now old farts, and
I'm the techno-geek of the family. :-)

You're at a job site and you don't have the proper part on
your truck. One tweet alerts all fellow coworkers about what
you need and where you are located. Who ever has it and is
close by can respond...


Hmmm ... about all these workers visiting twitter all day. Not
sure about that. (Unless there is a way to set it up to call all their
cell phones when you tweet.)

Most of what I see Twitter being used for so far is pretty
worthless.


That or beyond it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,417
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On 28 Mar 2009 02:32:45 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2009-03-27, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:27:08 -0500, Ignoramus764


Say you have a dicey medical exam today and the whole family
wants to know about the results. A few tweets as things
progress and everybody (your family members) knows what's
happening.


O.K. That would work -- if they knew about the twitter account
to start with. Remember -- all of my siblings are now old farts, and
I'm the techno-geek of the family. :-)


Same problem here, the other parties don't even have a
computer...

You're at a job site and you don't have the proper part on
your truck. One tweet alerts all fellow coworkers about what
you need and where you are located. Who ever has it and is
close by can respond...


Hmmm ... about all these workers visiting twitter all day. Not
sure about that. (Unless there is a way to set it up to call all their
cell phones when you tweet.)


There is a cell phone interface/application for it I
understand. I don't know how it works though, no cell phone
to play with and I don't know anyone with a cell geeky
enough to try it.

The cell phone part (depending upon how it works) is the
only practical side to it I can see. It (Twitter) could
create a nice bridge between the two very different worlds
(computer to cell phone).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,562
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

Leon Fisk wrote:

You're at a job site and you don't have the proper part on
your truck. One tweet alerts all fellow coworkers about what
you need and where you are located. Who ever has it and is
close by can respond...


You are supposed to use the walkie talkie function on your blackberry for that. Use the
right technology for crying sakes. I'm going to have to route you to detention.

Wes
--
We are living in the society that Ayn Rand warned us about
in 1957.
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,417
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:39:27 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

You're at a job site and you don't have the proper part on
your truck. One tweet alerts all fellow coworkers about what
you need and where you are located. Who ever has it and is
close by can respond...


You are supposed to use the walkie talkie function on your blackberry for that. Use the
right technology for crying sakes. I'm going to have to route you to detention.

Wes


When Nextel first came online in my area (~1997) with their
"Push to Talk" mantra a lot of contractors switched over,
replacing their two-way radios. When their first months
billing hit they went ballistic. Unit-to-unit was included,
one to all was an extra charge. Some of the guys had racked
up bills around $500 between that and their extra phone
minutes.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,444
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-03-27, Winston wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

-- and
find people who are interested enough in my day-to-day minutiae to read
it. :-)

We've been here all along, DoN.


You haven't been *exposed* to my day-to-day minutiae. :-)

"Cat boarded lap. Kneaded cat's tummy for half an hour.
Cat got bored."


That would be a refreshing change from say, half the postings
I read!

--Winston -- Wants to know if the cat is 'liberal'.


--

Don't *faff*, dear.
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 271
Default Bash function to post to Twitter via command line

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:45:21 -0700, Winston wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-03-27, Winston ... wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

....
and find people who are interested enough in my day-to-day
minutiae to read it. :-)
We've been here all along, DoN.


You haven't been *exposed* to my day-to-day minutiae. :-)

"Cat boarded lap. Kneaded cat's tummy for half an hour. Cat got
bored."


That would be a refreshing change from say, half the postings I read!


--Winston -- Wants to know if the cat is 'liberal'.


If you want too much information about a couple of cats, see
http://twitter.com/GusAndPenny . Their door isn't the famous
image-recognition one that's described all over the web and at
http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Co...lo_control.htm
but instead uses RFID chips as described at
http://ioanghip.googlepages.com/catdoor .

--
jiw
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get 19,530 new twitter followers in 30 days? Manila Shaji Metalworking 0 February 18th 09 10:54 AM
Can't Google at least limit the size of the topic of the post (title)to one line? (no message) [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 25th 08 10:13 PM
Send Mail from Command Line? Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 13 May 30th 07 05:06 PM
Adding A Bit More To My Recent Post Re Weed Wackers/Line Trimmers Robert11 Home Repair 6 June 14th 05 07:53 PM
Adding To My Recent Post On Weed Wackers / Line trimmers Robert11 Home Ownership 0 June 11th 05 09:12 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"