DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hardinge HC problem (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/272284-hardinge-hc-problem.html)

Ignoramus7092 March 1st 09 12:48 AM

Hardinge HC problem

I brought that Hardinge HC home (the one that I advertised here) and
while it seems mostly complete, I seem to have a problem or a
misunderstanding.

The issue is that of speed control. It has a speed control with a
variable speed pulley.

When I powered the lathe, it would run. Then I started messing with
speed control handle and slowed the lathe down, which it did. The
speed was adjusting in ways that seemed odd, as in, possibly it was
increasing if I put that handle in center position. Then, as of now,
the speed control stopped moving that adjuster altogether. If I move
that speed control handle all the way to the left, the lathe just
stops. I cannot yet explain this weird behavior and I am sure that I
am missing something.

Since there are different versions of HC floating around, here's a
webpage with many pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Hardinge-HC/

Also if anyone has a PDF manual of a Hardinge HC, I would love to get
a copy, and I will place it on my manuals website as well.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Gunner Asch[_4_] March 1st 09 04:15 AM

Hardinge HC problem

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:48:48 -0600, Ignoramus7092
wrote:

Since there are different versions of HC floating around, here's a
webpage with many pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Hardinge-HC/

Also if anyone has a PDF manual of a Hardinge HC, I would love to get
a copy, and I will place it on my manuals website as well.

You are missing the most important pictures.

Open up the electrical cabinet and take clear photos of the inside.

There were at least 3 different wiring schemes over the years, for the
variable speed drive.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Ignoramus12188 March 1st 09 04:44 PM

Hardinge HC problem

Gunner and Jon, thanks. I figured it out. The lathe was wired
incorrectly, so that forward became reverse. As a result, the speed
adjusting nut went the wrong way, hit a safety stop and stopped
operating due to that. I found an instruction sheet inside that told
me what to do (kill power to machine and manually back off the screw).

Now as far as I can tell, everything works great.

Gunner Asch[_4_] March 1st 09 07:43 PM

Hardinge HC problem

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 09:44:54 -0600, Ignoramus12188
wrote:

Gunner and Jon, thanks. I figured it out. The lathe was wired
incorrectly, so that forward became reverse. As a result, the speed
adjusting nut went the wrong way, hit a safety stop and stopped
operating due to that. I found an instruction sheet inside that told
me what to do (kill power to machine and manually back off the screw).

Now as far as I can tell, everything works great.

Wonderful. Yah..they do have to be wired to run the proper
direction....chuckle

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] March 1st 09 07:44 PM

Hardinge HC problem

wrote:

Gunner and Jon, thanks. I figured it out. The lathe was wired
incorrectly, so that forward became reverse. As a result, the speed
adjusting nut went the wrong way, hit a safety stop and stopped
operating due to that. I found an instruction sheet inside that told
me what to do (kill power to machine and manually back off the screw).

Now as far as I can tell, everything works great.

Btw...how much tooling did you get with the lathe? Ive some.......

Gunner

Ignoramus12188 March 1st 09 08:06 PM

Hardinge HC problem

wrote:

Gunner and Jon, thanks. I figured it out. The lathe was wired
incorrectly, so that forward became reverse. As a result, the speed
adjusting nut went the wrong way, hit a safety stop and stopped
operating due to that. I found an instruction sheet inside that told
me what to do (kill power to machine and manually back off the screw).

Now as far as I can tell, everything works great.

Btw...how much tooling did you get with the lathe? Ive some.......

Let me know what you have and what you want for it.

Igor

Gunner

Ignoramus12188 March 2nd 09 03:25 AM

Hardinge HC problem

Gunner, great post, I printed it out.

Karl Townsend March 2nd 09 08:50 AM

Hardinge HC problem

Notice the collets/bushings go inside of the 5/8" tool holder. First
thing you do is make up multiples of the common sizes, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4,
5/16, 7/16, 3/8, etc etc. Make up about 4 of each. Simple job using
any handy bar stock. Make up 50 blanks, undrilled, uncut. A job easily
done on the Chucker. Turn, face, knurl if you like, then cut off, then
go on to the next one. All from a bar. Helps you get to know your lathe
too.. As you need em, drill and bore em, then slot em, stamp em with
size and put em in a rack. Unless you are rich and want to buy a
complete set.

Instead of drill bushings, I use a Brookfield drill holder. Adjustable for
all size drills. I do have drill bushings for a few very common sizes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Hardinge-Brook...7C240%3A13 18

Like all machines, you can easily spend more on tooling than you did on the
lathe.

Karl

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 25th 15 12:11 AM

Hardinge HC problem

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 15:01:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...inge-HC-Lathe/

That one is still good, and as I recall..Iggy has manuals somewhere on
his site...

Iggy..got a link for the gent?

Gunner

[email protected] June 25th 15 12:25 AM

Hardinge HC problem

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 3:12:00 PM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 15:01:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...inge-HC-Lathe/

That one is still good, and as I recall..Iggy has manuals somewhere on
his site...

Iggy..got a link for the gent?

Gunner

I found this link
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Hardinge/
It has a lot, but I am looking for more of the HC specific manuals

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 25th 15 03:25 AM

Hardinge HC problem

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 15:25:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Hardinge/

I just checked..there are maint manuals for the HC on the yahoo group
site.

Gunner

[email protected] June 25th 15 03:35 AM

Hardinge HC problem

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 6:24:42 PM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 15:25:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Hardinge/

I just checked..there are maint manuals for the HC on the yahoo group
site.

Gunner

Just got accepted to the group, now I have a nice fat folder of Hardinge literature.

Ignoramus6193 June 25th 15 04:07 AM

Hardinge HC problem