Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hurco VFD Max RPM & braking

Got a TECO N3 VFD to power the spindle motor for my old Hurco KMB1. I
was using a static phase converter on this machine, but the
acceleration ramp up to speed was excessive. The TECO is a 1ph in 3ph
out, and seems to work fine. I have it's I/O configured to accept the
Hurco's FWD/REV signals, and it outputs overload to the Hurco
control. Fine so far, but the braking from full RPM to zero is not as
quick as I might like.

I was hoping to not have to rely on the air operated mechanical
spindle brake, but with the N3's DC injection braking set to max., the
spindle takes ~ 3 seconds to stop without the mechanical brake. I
purchased the optional braking resistor, but it's not clear from the
manual if this really enhances braking over DC injection, or if it's
really more for situations like putting a constant drag on a play out
reel, or slowing a large inertia of some sort. Normally this machine
uses the mechanical brake for stopping at the bottom of a tapping
cycle, before reversing.

Max RPM is the other question. The motor is a 1800 rpm, but could be
dialed up to 3600 at 120 hz. This would save having to crank the vary-
speed belt drive up for smaller end mills, but if it's going to kill
the motor bearings I'm not going to try it. I did run it up to 2400
rpm for a few minutes and it seemed smooth and quiet. I'm guessing the
bearings on 1800 rpm and 3600 rpm motors are the same, and since it's
a 3ph motor there are no windings to throw. Also the Hurco control
board has an analog speed command which I could wire up. This could
be kinda nice, as the program could then control the spindle speed as
coded, instead or the present operator adjust. Setting the vary-drive
to a fixed speed, say 2500 spindle rpm @ 1800 motor rpm would allow me
to cover 500 to 5000 rpm using only the VFD. So far the VFD has not
spiked the 24 year old motor's insulation..

Braking resistor on a Bridgeport Ignoramus2176 Metalworking 10 September 4th 08 03:47 AM
VFD braking Ignoramus2176 Metalworking 2 September 3rd 08 01:11 PM
VFD braking Karl Townsend Metalworking 10 August 5th 08 02:26 AM
Braking picture tubes ¦¦¦SHADOW¦¦¦ Electronics 4 July 16th 06 04:23 PM
braking surface rim wear? jtaylor Metalworking 0 April 26th 05 03:58 PM