Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hey Gunner

I should soon be recieving a barely used Armalite AR-7. These worth much? I
know the Charter Arms were prone to jamming. 20 years ago I returned mine
within a week and got a Ruger 10-22
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:
I should soon be recieving a barely used Armalite AR-7. These worth
much?

I picked up an Armalite AR-7 for $140 last year.

I know the Charter Arms were prone to jamming. 20 years ago I
returned mine within a week and got a Ruger 10-22

I used to have problems with unreliable feeding. I've solved this on
several different AR-7 versions. What has worked for me is to put a
tiny feed ramp in the lower rear of the chamber. Use a fine round
file, like a small fine tooth chainsaw file, smaller diameter than the
chamber, and cut a 45 degree groove not more than .030" deep. This is
cut and try, as you don't want to take out too much. Be careful that
you don't damage the chamber walls with the end of the file.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:38:23 -0800, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

I should soon be recieving a barely used Armalite AR-7. These worth much? I
know the Charter Arms were prone to jamming. 20 years ago I returned mine
within a week and got a Ruger 10-22

I have ah...several.....with good magazines and a ramp job, they work
well enough. You need to polish and form the ramp a bit.

They average about $200-250 here in California, when you can find one
these days. Ive got the black, brown and green ones in my tiny
collection

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I should soon be recieving a barely used Armalite AR-7. These worth much?
know the Charter Arms were prone to jamming. 20 years ago I returned mine
within a week and got a Ruger 10-22

I have ah...several.....with good magazines and a ramp job, they work
well enough. You need to polish and form the ramp a bit.

They average about $200-250 here in California, when you can find one
these days. Ive got the black, brown and green ones in my tiny
collection

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the
government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Just how many firearms do you have? (don't answer that!)
How many more will be "enough"?
Does your thumb look like a hot-dog from loading mags?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:38:06 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I should soon be recieving a barely used Armalite AR-7. These worth much?
know the Charter Arms were prone to jamming. 20 years ago I returned mine
within a week and got a Ruger 10-22

I have ah...several.....with good magazines and a ramp job, they work
well enough. You need to polish and form the ramp a bit.

They average about $200-250 here in California, when you can find one
these days. Ive got the black, brown and green ones in my tiny
collection

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the
government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Just how many firearms do you have? (don't answer that!)

"Several"

How many more will be "enough"?

No such word when discussing firearms.

Does your thumb look like a hot-dog from loading mags?

Nope...but has a pretty good callous.

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:38:06 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I figure, just---one---more! I'm thinking a Punt Gun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There's a museum on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Easton? Cambridge?) that
has three or four punt guns. They all have names, which they were given 150
years ago or so.

Have you ever been up close to one of those suckers? The barrel looks like
the sewer pipe in my basement, only prettier. Despite the fact that the
buttstock looks like it goes against your shoulder, if you tried, your arm
would wind up in the next county.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ooooo....Duck Claymores

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

There's a museum on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Easton? Cambridge?) that
has three or four punt guns. They all have names, which they were given 150
years ago or so.

Have you ever been up close to one of those suckers? The barrel looks like
the sewer pipe in my basement, only prettier. Despite the fact that the
buttstock looks like it goes against your shoulder, if you tried, your arm
would wind up in the next county.

My limits are a Thompson Center contender in .375 JDJ or my uncles Browning highwall
pushing a 320g bullet at 2400 fps. After that, it quits being fun. My lightweight 338
win mag isn't that much joy either. Hot 44 mag loads in my superblackhawk, yeah baby. I'm
still up for that! Maybe when I get older the redhawk will make more sense if i can lift
it

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Whatever perverse motive used to attract me to guns with painful recoil, it
left me years ago.

If you haven't seen a punt gun, or how it's used, you should look it up on
Google. I'm sure they have plenty of info on them. These are guns around
which people would build a boat. d8-) The barrel rested in a padded notch in
the bow, and a thick plank, braced with grown knees and all kinds of
reinforcement, projected up from the transom. You rested the buttstock on
this plank and hoped that firing the gun didn't rip the transom off the
punt.

They could sluice a whole flock of rafting ducks with one shot from those
things.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:38:06 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I should soon be recieving a barely used Armalite AR-7. These worth much?
know the Charter Arms were prone to jamming. 20 years ago I returned mine
within a week and got a Ruger 10-22

I have ah...several.....with good magazines and a ramp job, they work
well enough. You need to polish and form the ramp a bit.

They average about $200-250 here in California, when you can find one
these days. Ive got the black, brown and green ones in my tiny
collection

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the
government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Just how many firearms do you have? (don't answer that!)

I found it hard to believe the tiny array we looked at when I was
there, and I believe there are a "few" more elsewhere.

How many more will be "enough"?

That number is impossible to say until it has been reached, of course.

Does your thumb look like a hot-dog from loading mags?

Nah, he uses safe loading techniques. (Cartridge Condoms, yeah?)

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:51:03 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

I figure, just---one---more! I'm thinking a Punt Gun.

That oughta do it...for now. Just make sure your backside is clear
when you fire it, wot? heh heh heh

http://www.instablogsimages.com/imag...unt-gun_18.jpg

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.
-- Thomas A. Edison
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:11:27 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Actually not quite so gruesome.

Most of the punt gun boats were little more then a very light weight
single man boat. Generally they were operated with the shooter laying
prone and paddling with what looked like ping-pong paddles. When the
gun fired much of the recoil was absorbed by the boat scooting
backward. When I was a kid there was an old guy in town that had one
of the punts in his garage and either him, as a young man, or
perhaps his daddy had shot ducks for market out of it.
There is a picture of a gun punt at
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/muse...ves/003537.asp
that looks very much like my memory of the one I saw.
Cheers,

Bruce
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Good grief. You call that a punt gun? That's what they call a gentleman's
fowling piece on Maryland's Eastern Shore. g

The ones they used on the Eastern Shore, in the Chesapeake tributaries and
on Sinepuxent Bay, around Crisfield and up to Baltimore, ran up to 13 feet
in length and fired a load of up to five pounds of cut shot and nails.

Here's a Maryland-style punt gun:

http://www.bluerockheritage.com/tom_...e_punt_gun.htm

And I've seen some with even bigger bores.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 13, 10:56*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
And I've seen some with even bigger bores.

--
Ed Huntress

Several years ago a local gun store had one of these for sale:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39

That would get the ducks and the Amtrac they drove in on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 10:56 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
And I've seen some with even bigger bores.

--
Ed Huntress

Several years ago a local gun store had one of these for sale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-39

That would get the ducks and the Amtrac they drove in on.

Jeez, don't start these guys thinking. We'll see them shooting prairie dogs
with one if you plant the idea in their mind. g

BTW, I like the skiis and the comment about being pulled by reindeer. They
had a different idea about how to fight a war in Finland.

That's the second time I've seen a reference to the low muzzle velocity of
WWII-era 20mm guns. I didn't realize that. Apparently the Brit Hurricanes
and Spitfires that were stripped down and souped up to chase V-1 buzzbombs
tried 20mm guns but they had to get to close to the bomb to hit it, and
wound up flying through exploded debris if they hit the thing.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:51:03 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:38:06 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

What scope do you recommend?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So, do you think alcohol was involved in the design?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:38:06 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Of course. And how would you spend a cold day laying down in an open punt,
by yourself, with one shot in your gun, if you didn't have alcohol? That's
not entertainment.

It's like a story I read about a NASCAR driver in the old days, maybe 35
years ago, who was getting his first drive. "What?" he asked. "You expect me
to drive 500 miles without a radio?"

If you didn't see this, here is a Maryland-style punt gun. They had a *lot*
of ducks in the old days, and ready markets for them in Baltimore and
Philadelphia:

http://www.bluerockheritage.com/tom_...e_punt_gun.htm

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:7ng9p4h1ohcnh678hg6ccjnhu3i9tfn03g@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

Now you know why I want one! It'll be my LAST gun, I promise! Maybe I
should build one, any plans available? How about semi-automatic?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

First off, the feds put them in the "dangerous device" category, or whatever
it's called, because of the bore size. I think. Maybe that just applies to
rifles, but you should check with someone who knows. If it is in that
category, it's handled like a machine gun under federal law. And check with
your state.

Regarding plans, jeez, it's just a muzzleloading, single-barrel shotgun. You
don' need no steenking plans. Just be sure you understand the difference
between the lock dynamics used for external-lock cartridge shotguns and
those designed for percussion-cap guns. The first bounce. The second lock
when they reach the end of their stroke.

Some enthusiasts in the UK make replicas (yes, they were legal there long
after they had been outlawed in the US). Or they did, back in the '80s. Good
luck finding them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:02:38 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Some enthusiasts in the UK make replicas (yes, they were legal there long
after they had been outlawed in the US). Or they did, back in the '80s. Good
luck finding them.

Howthehell else are you expected to harvest duck on the Norfolk Broads???

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

First off, the feds put them in the "dangerous device" category, or
whatever

Not whatever Ed, destructive.
It's the pre-bush label for a WMD.

it's called, because of the bore size. I think.

That and cyclic rate bbut largely the former until recently.

Maybe that just applies to rifles,

AAHHHHHH No.

but you should check with someone who knows. If it is in that category,
it's handled like a machine gun under federal law.

Yes

And check with your state.

Yep

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Some enthusiasts in the UK make replicas (yes, they were legal there long
after they had been outlawed in the US). Or they did, back in the '80s.
Good
luck finding them.

Howthehell else are you expected to harvest duck on the Norfolk Broads???

Mark Rand
RTFM

Are you going to make me go search myself? I'm getting old and tired. See
what you can come up with first. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One with a right angle eyepiece
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:56:24 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure that 5 pounds of shot qualifies as a "punt gun". More
likely as a "gun" in the navel sense :-)
Cheers,

Bruce
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:56:24 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Did you see the photo in the link above? That's a heck of a bore. Two inches
is, what, about 50mm?

The first time I saw one of those things was on a school trip when my family
lived in Hagerstown, MD. I was impressed, especially since I thought you put
that buttstock up against your shoulder. g

Many years later we used to go to Eastern Shore vacation spots, and I saw
several of them at once in a museum down there. I distinctly remember that
the bore on one of them was 2-1/4".

They also had old photos of the punts, and they were square-enders, longer
than the little boats I saw Googling around for a photo of one of the guns.
As I recall they looked more like traditional Jon boats.

They had some of the cut shot at the museum, too; little triangles cut from
a flat sheet of iron. Cut shot was also made from lead, but I don't know if
they used that in the punt guns.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:51:03 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

I figure, just---one---more! I'm thinking a Punt Gun.

That oughta do it...for now. Just make sure your backside is clear
when you fire it, wot? heh heh heh

http://www.instablogsimages.com/imag...unt-gun_18.jpg

--
If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.
-- Thomas A. Edison

I want the auto-loader model! I promise it'll be the last gun I'll buy!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If you haven't seen a punt gun, or how it's used, you should look it up on
Google. I'm sure they have plenty of info on them. These are guns around
which people would build a boat. d8-) The barrel rested in a padded notch in
the bow, and a thick plank, braced with grown knees and all kinds of
reinforcement, projected up from the transom. You rested the buttstock on
this plank and hoped that firing the gun didn't rip the transom off the
punt.

They could sluice a whole flock of rafting ducks with one shot from those
things.

Neat but I don't think I could afford to load it with bismuth shot. It would be a good
thing to get rid of all the pyrodex I have laying around. As the saying goes, one you go
black, you don't go back

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:55:53 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Some enthusiasts in the UK make replicas (yes, they were legal there long
after they had been outlawed in the US). Or they did, back in the '80s.
Good
luck finding them.

Howthehell else are you expected to harvest duck on the Norfolk Broads???

Mark Rand
RTFM

Are you going to make me go search myself? I'm getting old and tired. See
what you can come up with first. d8-)

That was a rhetorical question G

When I was a child in Norfolk, punt guns were the tool for the job.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:55:53 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

Some enthusiasts in the UK make replicas (yes, they were legal there
long
after they had been outlawed in the US). Or they did, back in the '80s.
Good
luck finding them.

Howthehell else are you expected to harvest duck on the Norfolk
Broads???

Mark Rand
RTFM

Are you going to make me go search myself? I'm getting old and tired. See
what you can come up with first. d8-)

That was a rhetorical question G

When I was a child in Norfolk, punt guns were the tool for the job.

Mark Rand
RTFM

gulp It's good for us that you didn't have those things during our
revolutionary war.

And what job was that they did in Norfolk? Wipe out the entire European
flyway of ducks? They were outlawed here for migratory waterfowl sometime
before 1900, I think.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I was a child in Norfolk, punt guns were the tool for the job.

Things are different today. I have a ten-shot 12 guage hanging above the
door for the junkies across the road.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:37:27 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

RTFM

gulp It's good for us that you didn't have those things during our
revolutionary war.

And what job was that they did in Norfolk? Wipe out the entire European
flyway of ducks? They were outlawed here for migratory waterfowl sometime
before 1900, I think.

2" guns are no longer allowed, but 1.75 is.

Punt guns are still in use with that proviso.

visit:-

http://www.wildfowling.com/

regards
Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

RTFM

gulp It's good for us that you didn't have those things during our
revolutionary war.

And what job was that they did in Norfolk? Wipe out the entire European
flyway of ducks? They were outlawed here for migratory waterfowl sometime
before 1900, I think.

2" guns are no longer allowed, but 1.75 is.

Mama mia.

Punt guns are still in use with that proviso.

visit:-

http://www.wildfowling.com/

regards
Mark Rand
RTFM

Oh, that's interesting. I hope some of the US gun enthusiasts visit that
site and see how much activity there is in the UK. The impression I had was
that it was all but dead.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I should soon be recieving a barely used Armalite AR-7. These worth much?
know the Charter Arms were prone to jamming. 20 years ago I returned mine
within a week and got a Ruger 10-22

I have ah...several.....with good magazines and a ramp job, they work
well enough. You need to polish and form the ramp a bit.

They average about $200-250 here in California, when you can find one
these days. Ive got the black, brown and green ones in my tiny
collection

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the
government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Just how many firearms do you have? (don't answer that!)
How many more will be "enough"?
Does your thumb look like a hot-dog from loading mags?

The answer to the question of"how many firearms do you have?" is, "If
you know how many you have, you don't have enough!" :-)
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. I actually found a couple that I didnt realize I owned.

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

New RV for Gunner Jon Elson Metalworking 0 February 17th 08 07:09 PM
Hey Gunner Wes[_2_] Metalworking 1 January 9th 08 04:24 PM
Anyone seen gunner lately? Rex Metalworking 34 December 6th 07 02:53 AM
For Gunner knuckle dragging imbecile Metalworking 112 January 5th 06 07:04 AM
Gunner Rotty Metalworking 1 September 11th 04 10:17 AM