Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Newsguy sending duplicate posts

I've been getting duplicate posts, from 4 -6 days ago. The duplicate is
dated the same, but shows up later. E.g., I just got a post dated 1/16
which is the duplicate of the 1st one I got on 1/16. They both show on
the list of posts.

My server is Newsguy, but maybe it's not "him". Anybody else have this
happening, with Newsguy, or not? Or maybe it's my reader (Thunderbird).

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I've been getting duplicate posts, from 4 -6 days ago. The duplicate is
dated the same, but shows up later. E.g., I just got a post dated 1/16
which is the duplicate of the 1st one I got on 1/16. They both show on
the list of posts.

My server is Newsguy, but maybe it's not "him". Anybody else have this
happening, with Newsguy, or not? Or maybe it's my reader (Thunderbird).

Bob

Just a data point, I use easynews and it has been taking over an hour for a message I post
to be retrievable.

I'm not noticing double posts from anyone on r.c.m.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-21, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I've been getting duplicate posts, from 4 -6 days ago. The duplicate is
dated the same, but shows up later. E.g., I just got a post dated 1/16
which is the duplicate of the 1st one I got on 1/16. They both show on
the list of posts.

I've been getting some duplicates -- but it happens from time
to time.

First look in detail at the headers -- in particular the
header. This shows the path that the message took from the originating
system to your news server.

If all of the later ones came through the same system, that
system may be re-posting with a changed "Message-ID: ". And it is the
can easily arrive from multiple paths at different times.

If Newsguy had a shorter expire time, you could simply blame it
on delayed arrival of the duplicates -- after the record of the original
suspect a server somewhere changing the "Message-ID: ".

My server is Newsguy, but maybe it's not "him". Anybody else have this
happening, with Newsguy, or not? Or maybe it's my reader (Thunderbird).

Not likely to be the newsreader, unless it is losing its record
of read "Message-ID: "s.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don, thanks for the "look at". The "Message-ID: " is the same in the
duplicate. That leads me to believe that my reader (Thunderbird) is
responsible. Thunderbird has done some strange things. E.g., it marked
/this/ thread to be "Ignore-d". That's why I wasn't seeing it and
sent it again. I even contacted Newsguy, asking why my post wasn't there.

Anyhow, thanks again - I can live with duplicates if T-bird will just
stop ignoring threads on its own!

Bob