Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to Understand a Trillion-Dollar Deficit

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
Enjoy the education.

TMT

Sunday, Jan. 11, 2009
How to Understand a Trillion-Dollar Deficit
By Barbara Kiviat

President-elect Barack Obama said Tuesday the deficit appears on track
to hit $1 trillion soon. Speaking to reporters after meeting with top
economic aides, Mr. Obama said: "Potentially we've got trillion-dollar
deficits for years to come, even with the economic recovery that we
are working on."
Associated Press, January 6

Actually, the deficit is on track to hit $1.2 trillion this year, but
what's $200 billion between friends?

Seriously, what is it? To the average person, a number that big
probably doesn't mean much. At some point long before the hundred-
billion-dollar mark, large numbers simply become figures on the page,
well beyond human scale and intuitive understanding. And yet as
discussion about the economy and the impressive numbers that come
along with it continue to dominate the news, it may be more important
than ever to try to understand. Is a $700 billion financial industry
bailout a lot? Is a $775 billion economic stimulus package enough?

Unfortunately, our puny human brains aren't particularly up to the
task. Go back thousands of years and think about the simpler times of
human existence. "We had a few friends, we had to be scared of a few
animals. A trillion didn't come up very often," says Temple University
mathematician John Allen Paulos, whose book Innumeracy addresses the
topic. "There is a sense that when numbers are too big or too small,
the brain just shuts off," says Colin Camerer, a professor of
behavioral economics at the California Institute of Technology.
"People either don't think about it at all or there is fear, an
exaggerated reaction."

The genius of our numbering system is that we can signify massive
quantities in short spaces. One billion takes no longer to write than
one million, points out Andrew Dilnot, an economist at Oxford
University and author of The Numbers Game.

But that similarity trips us up when it comes time to imagine how
those figures translate to the real world, where three more zeroes
make all the difference. "My favorite way to think of it is in terms
of seconds," says David Schwartz, a children's book author whose How
Much Is A Million? tries to wrap young minds around the concept. "One
million seconds comes out to be about 11 and a half days. A billion
seconds is 32 years. And a trillion seconds is 32,000 years. I like to
say that I have a pretty good idea what I'll be doing a million
seconds from now, no idea what I'll be doing a billion seconds from
now, and an excellent idea of what I'll be doing a trillion seconds
from now."

A common strategy for beginning to understand big numbers is to devise
visual representations. One time, sitting at a baseball game in
Philadelphia, Paulos started counting seats along the first base line.
Multiplying the number of seats in a row by the number of rows, Paulos
came up with a section of the stadium that he figured contained about
10,000 seats €” an image he can now think back to whenever a person
starts talking about tens of thousands of a particular thing. When
numbers get too large, though, that method breaks down. A stack of one
trillion $1 bills would reach more than a quarter of the way to the
moon €” replacing one incomprehensible thought with another doesn't do
much good.

We next move on to more formal manipulations. When trying to
comprehend a trillion-dollar deficit, you might calculate how much
money that represents per person in the United States. One trillion
dollars divided by 300 million Americans comes out to $3,333. Then you
search for a useful comparison. A convenient €” though perhaps
unsettling €” comparison is to the amount of credit card debt carried
by the average person in this country. That figure is $3,245. "So a
good way of thinking about government debt financing is that it's
similar to what the average person is doing," says Camerer.

In The Numbers Game, Dilnot and his co-author, journalist۬ Michael
Blastland, suggest dividing government spending by the number of
citizens and the number of weeks in a year. A $700 billion bailout
thereby translates into $45 per week for each American man, woman and
child. Going one step further, it comes out to $6 a day. Are you
willing to pay $6 a day to have a functioning financial system?

Just be careful once you start dividing and dividing again. It's often
easy to come up with big denominators that make sense, though
ultimately, too much dividing reduces numbers to another sort of
uselessness. Six dollars a day is also 25 cents an hour, or less than
half a penny a minute. Would you be willing to pay less than half a
penny a minute?

۬In a society where people routinely don't stop to pick up a penny off
the ground, the better question might be: Is there anything you
wouldn't be willing to pay half a penny for?

It's something to think about.

Please Help me understand... Don Dando Woodworking 3 November 12th 07 01:17 PM
Musing about Turner's Burnout. (aka, my attention deficit disorder) Arch Woodturning 17 August 12th 07 02:19 PM
Need to understand George UK diy 8 April 1st 07 10:01 AM
Help, I don't understand!!!! josoap Woodworking 28 May 5th 05 04:55 PM