DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dimpling, scratching, and otherwise defacing metal (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/268581-re-dimpling-scratching-otherwise-defacing-metal.html)

dan January 9th 09 10:41 PM

Dimpling, scratching, and otherwise defacing metal

What's that Lassie? You say that SteveB fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:34:07 -0700:

I want to make some hinges and stuff that look old, but are not. Could I
take chisels and the round end of a ball peen hammer, and other striking
devices and make marks on the metal cold, or should I heat and soften it
first?

you should be able to dent it with a hammer when cold.

for a dark brown finish, coat in linseed oil and bake at 400F for
40min.

--

Dan H.