Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FA Vintage Tinplate work tinmans tin metalwork 1911

Tinplate Work by Paul Hasluck,1911, original owners inscription has
discoloured title page,otherwise a very good copy. 160 pages.

Really useful old book on tin work and the making of various domectic
items in tin,lamps,kettles,stoves and the tinmans trade and techniques
in general.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 02:48:13 -0800 (PST), the infamous Alys
scrawled the following:

Tinplate Work by Paul Hasluck,1911, original owners inscription has
discoloured title page,otherwise a very good copy. 160 pages.

Really useful old book on tin work and the making of various domectic
items in tin,lamps,kettles,stoves and the tinmans trade and techniques
in general.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Why do all the old books from Aberystwyth, UK cost $40-50USD when
they're available from multiple sources, globally, for $10? And
either you're using various names or others from your town are also
caught up in the "to price your item on eBay, take the highest
recorded eBay price for that item and double it" syndrome.

Methinks thou overvalues thy possessions, marm.

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/bk_tinplate_wk.php
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks6/tin/index.html

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[on on-topic reply]

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett

I saw a TV documentary once, about the introduction of the printing
press. What stuck with me was that the printing press made what had
been closely-held information widely distributed. In fact, initially
the predominant genre was how-to books. Knowledge that only guild
members had previously had access to was now available to the public.

Fast forward 300 years, or however long it's been. Today the Internet
has trumped books in that regard. Not only is the information
available, it's easily found. That was/is the Achilles heel of books -
the knowledge may be in a book /somewhere/, but finding it was something
else. The Internet is changing the world as much as the printing press did.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:06:33 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[on on-topic reply]

--
[...]

The printing press made Bibles and religious tracts readily available to
the masses. The flock could now read what only the priests had
previously had a lock on.

It really hurt the control the Church had over the masses and was
considered the Devils Tool by some of the Church hierarchy...some.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:06:33 -0500, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[on on-topic reply]

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett

I saw a TV documentary once, about the introduction of the printing
press. What stuck with me was that the printing press made what had
been closely-held information widely distributed. In fact, initially
the predominant genre was how-to books. Knowledge that only guild
members had previously had access to was now available to the public.

Fast forward 300 years, or however long it's been. Today the Internet

Gutenberg done it c. 1450, or 559 years ago.

has trumped books in that regard. Not only is the information
available, it's easily found. That was/is the Achilles heel of books -
the knowledge may be in a book /somewhere/, but finding it was something
else. The Internet is changing the world as much as the printing press did.

Yes indeedy, Bob. I adore living in this era, surrounded by both
books _and_ the Internet, plus having cheap resources like eBay and
Amazon. Damn, what's not to love?

One single computer hooked up to the Internet in a Third World village
can, and often does, change the lives of everyone in the village and
surrounding area. It's wonderful.

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:56:56 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:06:33 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[on on-topic reply]

--
[...]

Yeah, there was that downside of the press, too. Once the SOBs
got their bibles in mass-production, gazillions of missionaries went
hog wild. The rest is history. (Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, etc.)

It really hurt the control the Church had over the masses and was
considered the Devils Tool by some of the Church hierarchy...some.

Anything which takes potential money out of the church's pocket is
evil and must be destroyed! They can't have their scams taken over by
someone else, now can they?

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:15:25 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

The printing press made Bibles and religious tracts readily available to
the masses. The flock could now read what only the priests had
previously had a lock on.

Yeah, there was that downside of the press, too. Once the SOBs
got their bibles in mass-production, gazillions of missionaries went
hog wild. The rest is history. (Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, etc.)

100 Years War, War of the Roses, the Britsh Civil War.....when the
masses can read...they get Ideas.....

It really hurt the control the Church had over the masses and was
considered the Devils Tool by some of the Church hierarchy...some.

Anything which takes potential money out of the church's pocket is
evil and must be destroyed! They can't have their scams taken over by
someone else, now can they?

Indeed. Which I believe is the ultimate goal of the Left, as they
control education, the media and so forth. If they canr make reading
"outdated" and the mush filled skulls they control only get their
information from Liberal Approved media.....they can (and do) control
segments of the population. The recent election is a prime example of
that.

Hope and Change indeed....snicker. Its obvious that few read the
details of exactly what those meant.

Gunner

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:56:56 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:06:33 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[on on-topic reply]

--
[...]

But don't forget, a lot of clergy were real adamant about getting
the Word of God into the hands of every poughboy and Christian. Luther
cranked out what became The Standard German Translation in a rather
short time. Being in 'protective custody' gave him time to write.
Now we've got between 9,000 and 38,000 (and growing) Protestant
denominations because each reader has become their own pope.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
1) There is a God.
2) It's not you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Larry Jaques
wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:15:25
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:56:56 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:06:33 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
[on on-topic reply]
[...]

Once the translations into the vernacular had been made. A
process which had started before the printing press I might add.

Yeah, there was that downside of the press, too. Once the SOBs
got their bibles in mass-production, gazillions of missionaries went
hog wild. The rest is history. (Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, etc.)

Let me see, Gutenberg did his printing starting in 1450, the first
Crusade was launched in 1095 and the last in 1270, and the Inquisition
was 1478-1834 (officially. No One Expects the Spanish Inquisition!).
Yep, I can see the link between the printing press and the Crusades
and Inquisition.

It really hurt the control the Church had over the masses and was
considered the Devils Tool by some of the Church hierarchy...some.

Anything which takes potential money out of the church's pocket is
evil and must be destroyed! They can't have their scams taken over by
someone else, now can they?

I seem to recall of a company which made sure that none of their
employees could read. Something about not wanting them to be reading
_any_ books and getting ideas above their station.

cie l'vie.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:47:51 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:56:56 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:06:33 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[on on-topic reply]

--
[...]

Indeed..that was one of the big schisms between the Church and the
splinters

"If the printing press wasn't invented then the cultural and industrial
revolutions wouldn't have taken place. The introduction of the printing
press also changed the way the church operated. For the first time many
people could read the bible by theirself, in their native language. This
meant a dramatic downturn in the numbers of people that went to church.

Also people began to question the authority of the church, as there was
nothing in the bible about having to pay the church taxes, which was
common at that time.Also the spread of words and other people's idea
began to spread a lot faster after the invention of the printing press.
Also more people could read the availability of books and documents. It
marked Western culture's first viable method of disseminating ideas and
information from a single source to a large and far-ranging audience.'

Rather interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role_of...he_Reformation

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 02:03:04 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Larry Jaques
wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:15:25
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Yeah, there was that downside of the press, too. Once the SOBs
got their bibles in mass-production, gazillions of missionaries went
hog wild. The rest is history. (Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, etc.)

Let me see, Gutenberg did his printing starting in 1450, the first
Crusade was launched in 1095 and the last in 1270, and the Inquisition
was 1478-1834 (officially. No One Expects the Spanish Inquisition!).
Yep, I can see the link between the printing press and the Crusades
and Inquisition.

Oops. Somebody stepped on their appendage there, didn't they? blush

It really hurt the control the Church had over the masses and was
considered the Devils Tool by some of the Church hierarchy...some.

Anything which takes potential money out of the church's pocket is
evil and must be destroyed! They can't have their scams taken over by
someone else, now can they?

I seem to recall of a company which made sure that none of their
employees could read. Something about not wanting them to be reading
_any_ books and getting ideas above their station.

Ayup. Management has a history of being shortsighted, doesn't it?

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Larry Jaques
wrote on Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:19:34
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 02:03:04 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Larry Jaques
wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:15:25
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Yeah, there was that downside of the press, too. Once the SOBs
got their bibles in mass-production, gazillions of missionaries went
hog wild. The rest is history. (Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, etc.)

Let me see, Gutenberg did his printing starting in 1450, the first
Crusade was launched in 1095 and the last in 1270, and the Inquisition
was 1478-1834 (officially. No One Expects the Spanish Inquisition!).
Yep, I can see the link between the printing press and the Crusades
and Inquisition.

Oops. Somebody stepped on their appendage there, didn't they? blush

Yeah. I hate it when a beautiful theory gets slain by an ugly
fact.

It really hurt the control the Church had over the masses and was
considered the Devils Tool by some of the Church hierarchy...some.

Anything which takes potential money out of the church's pocket is
evil and must be destroyed! They can't have their scams taken over by
someone else, now can they?

I seem to recall of a company which made sure that none of their
employees could read. Something about not wanting them to be reading
_any_ books and getting ideas above their station.

Ayup. Management has a history of being shortsighted, doesn't it?

That worked for that company.

The invention of "Sunday School" came about as the Methodists took
the available time they had (Sunday Mornings) to not only teach people
how to live the Christian Life, but how to read, write and cipher as
well.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 23:38:05 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:59:26 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett

So is the internet the GPS?

Yes, and the penalty box, and the pleasure zone, and...

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.
--Jesse Lee Bennett
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Wed, 07 Jan 2009 04:46:23 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

The printing press made Bibles and religious tracts readily available to
the masses. The flock could now read what only the priests had
previously had a lock on.

It really hurt the control the Church had over the masses and was
considered the Devils Tool by some of the Church hierarchy...some.

But don't forget, a lot of clergy were real adamant about getting
the Word of God into the hands of every poughboy and Christian. Luther
cranked out what became The Standard German Translation in a rather
short time. Being in 'protective custody' gave him time to write.
Now we've got between 9,000 and 38,000 (and growing) Protestant
denominations because each reader has become their own pope.

Indeed..that was one of the big schisms between the Church and the
splinters

Which Church? Which Schism? B-) [As a Greek Orthodox, I find
the problems of the Latin church with their subsequent splinter groups
to be a cause for schadenfreude.)
There is a lot of stuff which gets blamed on the technology (the
printing press / Internet / text msg),when all it does is make the
information more available to more people.

Remember, while the price of books did drop with the introduction
of the printing press, most were still too expensive for ordinary
people (the masses) and - at least at the beginning - were printed in
Latin. Those "barriers to entry" remained until later, when paper
production became cheaper, and literacy rates improved.
But books still remained "expensive" (they still are) up until the
technology breakthroughs brought their production costs down. Just as
the invention of IC made the PC and the Internet possible. They said
thirty years ago, that someday computers would be as easy to use as a
telephone. Well, we're half way their - I can hardly use my
telephone.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:56:56 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:06:33 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[on on-topic reply]

--
[...]

One of the interesting things, to me, is that the Eastern church
didn't have that "reformation". this may have had something to do
with the insistence on holding services in the local language (even if
there did develop a certain reluctance to update the language in the
service books - hence the use of Slavonic, long after the locals had
changed languages. Think of it as using a service written in Middle
English, and not updated for the "recent" changes".)
On of the other factors, of course, is that the Eastern half of
the Roman Empire didn't have a complete collapse of Government all the
West. It as that lack of a civil authority which lead to much of the
later "problems".

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

The printing press made Bibles and religious tracts readily available to
the masses. *The flock could now read what only the priests had
previously had a lock on.

* * * * Once the translations into the vernacular had been made. *A
process which had started before the printing press I might add.

* * * * Let me see, Gutenberg did his printing starting in 1450, the first
Crusade was launched in 1095 and the last in 1270, and the Inquisition
was 1478-1834 (officially. *No One Expects the Spanish Inquisition!).
Yep, I can see the link between the printing press and the Crusades
and Inquisition....
pyotr
pyotr filipivich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wycliffe