DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Manufacturing Shrinks as Orders Hit 60-Year Low (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/268259-re-manufacturing-shrinks-orders-hit-60-year-low.html)

Ed Huntress January 6th 09 07:30 AM

Manufacturing Shrinks as Orders Hit 60-Year Low

"przemek klosowski" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:33:21 -0800, John R. Carroll wrote:

Volt's are a hoax. GM is essentially a fraud.

Them's fighting words: electric cars are an enticing idea and
eventually someone will figure out the right approach. Having said that,
I agree that GM is being quite dishonest about Volt: the ads tout
it as 'the car that drives 40 miles before using any gas', implying
that it's a free ride. Well. to fully charge the batteries it needs t
o be on 20A 110V circuit for 10 hours (my estimate, but I shouldn't
be too far off). This means 22 kWh, or around 3 US$, so their whole
premise is misleading, even if the car wasn't significantly more
expensive.

It's a question of which premise you think they're implying. I don't think
their initial customers, if there are any, will be looking at fuel costs;
they'll be looking at the greenery and at oil independence.

The car won't be priced for the cost-conscious, anyway. They're struggling
to keep the price at $40,000.

--
Ed Huntress