DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/268033-re-lantern-mantles-coleman-generic.html)

GeoLane at PTD dot NET January 3rd 09 01:52 PM

Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

Another problem is leaks. Over the years I've had propane stuff (not
just lanterns) that wouldn't seal against the bottle. The gaskets get
old and cracked. Bad news, especially when it can fail at any time,
regardless of whether the lantern/stove is lit or not, and you don't
notice until the tent/room is full of propane. Or blows up.

With liquid fuel stuff, if you
have a leak in the cap you lose pressure and your lantern/stove quits
working. Then just swap the cap and your back in business.

In one of the lantern collectors groups I used to follow one of the
guys reported that the generator on his Coleman lantern unexpectedly
split, suddenly created a flaming fireball. He was able to grab the
lantern's bail and throw it off the porch saving his house. Liquid
fuel lanterns have hazardous problems occasionally too, and if you
don't know the secret to lighting them, every startup has the
potential to be "exciting". Like you though, I prefer liquid fueled
lanterns, both Coleman fueled and kerosene (Petromax).

RWL