Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill press table raising mechanism???

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:20:37 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

a friend of mine has two Crafstman drill presses with 2 3/4 inch columns.
He acquired from some mystery source a raising mechanism I just helped him
install on one of them - I've never seen one like it - it consists of a gear
assembly, an acme screw, and a bottom pillow block. the bottom pillow block
can be clamped to the column, and with the top (gear assembly) and the table
loose, you can turn the crank which through a gear rotates the acme screw
and raise/lower the table - every other unit I've seen has a rack rather
than an acme screw - so, for the group

1. anyone know who might have made this thing (there is no label on it, it's
far from new - probably pre WWII to my eyes - can't find it in Sears
catalogs, doesn't say Sears or Crafstman on it

2. any idea where I might find another for him?

3. any idea where to find a raising mechanism of any kind that would work on
a 2 3/4 inch column?

Sounds like some older Deltas and Walker Turners. Ive seen the screws
on both.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania